Going to feel depressed when I graduate from college

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of forming lasting relationships in college and after graduation. The speakers share their experiences and concerns about not having formed many close friendships during their undergraduate years and how they hope to form them in graduate school. They also discuss the idea of leaving the best years behind after graduating and the pressure to have everything figured out by a certain age. However, they also acknowledge that there are always opportunities to form close friendships in the future, whether in grad school or professional life.
Benzoate
I'm currently in my junior year. I've yet to form relationships that are supposed to last a lifetime. I guess its partly due to my condition(I have asperger syndrome). I did manage to form one good potential friendship. I'm not really sure about yet. This person graduates next year , so I probably won't be seeing him as much. Even though I plan on going to grad school, that once you graduate from undergrad, you leave your best years behind you. I guess I really don't want to graduate until I'm fully ready, and four years isn't complete for me. Do any of you feel your best years are behind you once you complete undergrad to head off to grad school or join the work force? Do some of you do your soul searching after you graduate? Are you completely sure of who you are and what your goals in life are? Gosh I'm only 20 and I feel like I'm going through a quarter-life crisis.

I know the titled of my thread looks incomplete, but I couldn't edited the title of my topic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know what you mean. I never formed any life-time relationship forming stuff. You might even have some and not even know because it won't come out until after you graduate and bump into them afterwards or work with them and so on.

I think the best years of life are every year.

If you don't make a lot of friends in undergrad don't worry, especially if you plan on going to grad school. Your whole class will be 10-20 people in smaller schools, and you'll all be taking the same classes, teaching similar labs, etc. Its really forced that you become friends fast with the other GTA's/GRA's.

Also if you don't mind me asking, do you go to a commuter school? Cause that seriously screws most people out of in-college friends. When you're staying in a dorm//apt with other students you're usually forced to interact more and some things can become of it.

But as for myself, my closes friends are still those from HS, most of the people I was great friends with in college all ended up being successful as well and moving all over the country and we only talk by email occasionally.

So don't worry too much, you're not alone!

I was in exactly the same situation and never formed any life time friendships at uni. I only thought they were important because I seemed to be the only one unable to form any friendships. Its not the end of the world.

Actually, I did make a lot of friends in undergrad, and I admit it was a bit of a drag to graduate. I still try to keep in touch with a few of them. In fact I have one friend from college that I still talk to on the phone nearly every day, and visit from time to time.

As for grad school, what K.J. said tends to be true. Graduate classes are smaller, and people often become friends quickly. However it isn't always the case. Many of the students in my graduate class are internationals, and they tend to shy away from social interaction with us Americans. And three of the other students in my class are just plain old asses. Of course I have made several friends in my grad class, and I can see how these friendships might get pretty strong as we suffer through the hell of physics grad school for the next 4.5 years.

im in a similar position. I've only made 1 potential close friend since transferring to my new school as a junior. this is probably my last quarter to try to be more social as i'll have to do research and harder classes soon.

as for the comment of living in apt being more social, i disagree when you live with roommates who are strangers - unless you mean getting more interaction with students who arent roommates?

Benzoate said:
I'm currently in my junior year. I've yet to form relationships that are supposed to last a lifetime. I guess its partly due to my condition(I have asperger syndrome). I did manage to form one good potential friendship. I'm not really sure about yet. This person graduates next year , so I probably won't be seeing him as much. Even though I plan on going to grad school, that once you graduate from undergrad, you leave your best years behind you. I guess I really don't want to graduate until I'm fully ready, and four years isn't complete for me. Do any of you feel your best years are behind you once you complete undergrad to head off to grad school or join the work force? Do some of you do your soul searching after you graduate? Are you completely sure of who you are and what your goals in life are? Gosh I'm only 20 and I feel like I'm going through a quarter-life crisis.

I know the titled of my thread looks incomplete, but I couldn't edited the title of my topic
I've kept up with my closest friends, one since 6th grade, another from 9th grade and the rest from university.

Three colleagues in my company went through the same graduate school program together with me, and we all worked in the same research group. When I visit the corporate office, I stay with one of those guys at his condo. We always have a blast. :biggrin: The last trip, I met his potential fiancee, and I'm hoping she is the one. :approve:

My closest friends are closer to me than my own family members because of the shared experiences. Even if one does not have close friends from undergrad, there are always opportunities in the future, in grad school and professional life.

I was eager to graduate from my undergrad program, because I was immediately going into grad school to do some interesting research.

It's interesting to see the responses here from people who didn't make close friends in college. That was my experience, too, but I didn't know it was a common one. My college environment wasn't condusive to forming friends - it was cutthroat competitive.

Don't worry, Benzoate, most of my close friendships I formed latter in life, at work. There, teamwork is the primary way to get things done, and that's a great way to bond with people.

Dont use school as a crutch to make friends.

Do any of you feel your best years are behind you once you complete undergrad to head off to grad school or join the work force? Do some of you do your soul searching after you graduate? Are you completely sure of who you are and what your goals in life are? Gosh I'm only 20 and I feel like I'm going through a quarter-life crisis.

Q1: No. Staying up and getting a few hours a sleep every day was not the best years of anything. Being finished with undergrad is fantastic. I would not do it again.

Q2: What do you mean by soul searching, a woman?

Q3: Yes

Q4: You're very young to graduate from college. The fact that your only 20 means you did not go out to bars/clubs with older people. That makes a difference.

Dont worry, everything is better when you're older. I like the position that I am in now better than ever.

Last edited:
I have a few friends from childhood and college, but the reality is that the vast majority of friends you make in college don't last long after you go your own ways anyway. If you just have one or two good friends at any stage of your life, you're doing pretty well.

And, a few people I didn't really talk to around the time I graduated, and we just bumped into each other later, and only then became good friends. So, you never know how things will turn out. You can't force friendships, they just have to happen. Of course, the more people you meet, the more chance that a few of them will become good friends, but you just have to let things take a natural course when it comes to forming lasting friendships.

Benzoate said:
Do some of you do your soul searching after you graduate?

Cyrus said:
Q2: What do you mean by soul searching, a woman?
Geez, Cyrus, do you ever not think about women? :rofl:

I think the term soul-searching is a reference to introspection. I've engaged in introspection probably since the first grade. I've always wondered how I fit into the world and what my role in the world should be. I've always been curious about the world and the ways of the world. Introspection and curiosity are deeply ingrained in my cerebral cortex. Graduation from HS and univeristy were simply transition points to bigger and better things.

Benzoate said:

Were you actually diagnosed with aspergers?

Astronuc said:
Geez, Cyrus, do you ever not think about women? :rofl:

I think the term soul-searching is a reference to introspection. I've engaged in introspection probably since the first grade. I've always wondered how I fit into the world and what my role in the world should be. I've always been curious about the world and the ways of the world. Introspection and curiosity are deeply ingrained in my cerebral cortex. Graduation from HS and univeristy were simply transition points to bigger and better things.

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

falc39 said:
Were you actually diagnosed with aspergers?

yes I was

Benzoate said:

It sounds like you're going through the first of the five stages of grief. It seems to happen when there's a big change in someone's life.

K.J.Healey said:
Also if you don't mind me asking, do you go to a commuter school? Cause that seriously screws most people out of in-college friends.

Oh God that sucks. I have to commute an hour to get to school. When my friends want to meet up at school at around 8pm to study, I can't, because the buses don't go that late*, plus I'd have to stay in the library for like 8 hours. Great.

Forget any type of socializing. No buses on Saturday and Sunday.

*there are, but it would take double the time to get there, because of the other routes not going directly to school.

1. Why do students often feel depressed after graduating from college?

There are a few reasons why students may feel depressed after graduating from college. One common reason is the loss of structure and routine that college provides. Without the daily structure of classes, assignments, and extracurricular activities, students may feel lost and uncertain about their future. Additionally, the pressure to find a job and start their career can be overwhelming and lead to feelings of anxiety and depression. Finally, the transition from college to the "real world" can be a major adjustment and may cause feelings of sadness and nostalgia for the college experience.

2. Is it normal to feel depressed after graduating from college?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel depressed after graduating from college. This transition can be a major life change and it is natural to experience a range of emotions during this time. It is important to acknowledge and address these feelings instead of trying to ignore them.

3. What can I do to cope with post-graduation depression?

There are several things you can do to cope with post-graduation depression. First, it is important to reach out to friends and family for support. Talking about your feelings with loved ones can help you process them and feel less alone. Additionally, maintaining a healthy routine with regular exercise, a balanced diet, and enough sleep can help improve your mood. It may also be helpful to seek support from a therapist or counselor to work through any underlying issues contributing to your depression.

4. How long does post-graduation depression typically last?

The duration of post-graduation depression can vary for each individual. For some, it may only last a few weeks, while for others it may last several months. If your feelings of depression persist for an extended period of time and begin to interfere with your daily life, it is important to seek help from a mental health professional.

5. Are there any resources available for students struggling with post-graduation depression?

Yes, there are many resources available for students struggling with post-graduation depression. Most universities have counseling services available for students, and many offer services for recent graduates as well. There are also online support groups and hotlines that can provide resources and support. It may also be helpful to reach out to alumni networks or career centers for guidance and support in transitioning to the workforce.