How Can I Minimize Voltage Drop Across a 50 ft Wire with 80A Load?

In summary: He has two possible solutions to the problem- Option 1 is to have the battery charger on-board the robot, which presents a weight issue- Option 2 is to have the battery charger external, but run a wire out to the batteries on the robot
monkeyman
Hi all,

I'd like to ask for your help in solving a problem. I'm currently working on building a small ground robot for a certain research problem. The robot is powered by batteries, and consumes a continuous 80A @ 12V when all of its systems are active. The batteries provide capacity for about 2 hrs of runtime, but since extended testing sessions are common, we would like to use a high amperage battery charger that can remain connected to the batteries indefinitely, which will continuously top off and keep the batteries charged so the robot can also run indefinitely.

Now the question is, we can approach this one of two ways: 1. Have the battery charger on-board the robot, and run a 120VAC extension cord from the power source to the charger. This obviously presents no problems, is certainly feasible, except that now we have an extra charger on the robot which is only dead weight. So, is it possible to 2. Have the battery charger external, and run a 12V line out to the batteries on board the robot?

The problem is, say we are talking about a 50 ft. length piece of wire, maybe 8AWG. With 80A running through this, will there be an appreciable voltage drop at the other end? I found this calculator, http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm which says there will be a 5.1V drop, which is obviously unacceptable. However, I have no clue what calculations were performed to arrive at this answer. Can anyone help out? Thanks.

I know my question is kind of long and convoluted. If you need any clarifications on the problem, please ask. Thanks again.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look up a table of resistance for different gauges, like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

Use whatever gauge is necessary to achieve the resistance you need to obtain an acceptable voltage drop.

Alternatively, use remote sensing (run two small sense wires alongside the power cables, connected to the power cables at the robot's battery, and have the battery charger regulate its output voltage according to the sense wires).

- Warren

1. What is voltage drop across a wire?

Voltage drop across a wire is the amount of electrical potential difference lost as electricity flows through the wire. It is measured in volts and is caused by the resistance of the wire.

2. Why is voltage drop across a wire important?

Voltage drop across a wire is important because it can affect the performance of an electrical system. If the voltage drop is too high, it can lead to decreased power and efficiency in the system.

3. How is voltage drop across a wire calculated?

Voltage drop across a wire can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage drop (V) equals current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). In other words, V = I x R.

4. What factors can affect voltage drop across a wire?

The main factors that can affect voltage drop across a wire include the length of the wire, the material and thickness of the wire, and the amount of current flowing through the wire. Temperature and frequency can also have an impact on voltage drop.

5. How can voltage drop across a wire be reduced?

To reduce voltage drop across a wire, the wire can be shortened or thickened to decrease its resistance. Additionally, using a wire with a higher conductivity material, such as copper, can also help reduce voltage drop. In some cases, using a higher voltage or increasing the wire size can also help decrease voltage drop.