Radius of Planet with Double Gravity: Calculating with F=ma

• Thread starter Lance WIlliam
  • Start date
In summary, the space explorers land on a planet that has the same mass as Earth, but they find they weigh twice as much as they would on Earth. The radius of the planet is 19.62 meters.
Lance WIlliam
If the question reads:
Space explorers land on a planet that has the same mass as Earth, but they find they weigh twice as much as they would on Earth
What is the radius of the planet?

Do I assume the 'g" = 9.8(2) ?
Since they weight twice as much...does that mean the gravity is doubled?

Im going to use the eqn. F(ma)=GMm/r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can.

Can anyone please check the math?
I get 4.50e6 which sounds right meters...
But masteringphysics is telling me I am wrong
I did:

(6.67e-11)(5.98e24)/19.62=r^2

19.62 came from 9.8(2) since they wieght twice as much...
Thankyou for your help.

Seems ok to me.

Hi Lance! :smile:
Lance WIlliam said:
Do I assume the 'g" = 9.8(2) ?

No … you needn't assume anything about g …

this will work for any two planets of the same mass where the weight differs by a factor of 2.
Im going to use the eqn. F(ma)=GMm/r^2

ok … but you'll have to write it twice, won't you, with an r1 and an r2? :smile:

Lance:
It just gets messy with writing digits!
Instead, use better symbols like this:
[tex]m_{e},r_{e},w_{e}, m[/tex]
which means mass of earth, radius of Earth, weight on Earth and mass of explorer, respectively..
These quantities are related by the following equation:
[tex]w_{e}=\frac{Gm_{e}m}{r_{e}^{2}}(*)[/tex]
On new planet "p", we also have the equation:
[tex]w_{p}=\frac{Gm_{p}m}{r_{p}^{2}}(**)[/tex]
You are given the following information:
[tex]m_{p}=m_{e},w_{p}=2w_{e}[/tex]
Inserting these into (**), we get:
[tex]2w_{e}=\frac{Gm_{e}m}}{r_{p}^{2}}(***)[/tex]
Now, perform the division (***)/(*), and we get:
[tex]\frac{2w_{e}}{w_{e}}=\frac{\frac{Gm_{e}m}{r_{p}^{2}}}{\frac{Gm_{e}m}{r_{e}^{2}}}[/tex]
which simplifies to:
[tex]2=(\frac{r_{e}}{r_{p}})^{2}[/tex]
Now, you can solve this equation for the planet radius in terms of the Earth radius, only THEN introduce digits!

I get 4.51e6 which is still wrong...I hate online homeowrk...:(

Lance WIlliam said:
I get 4.51e6 which is still wrong...I hate online homeowrk...:(

I think that answer is correct, if the units are supposed to be meters. Are you supposed to use a different unit?

the units they want just say R_p_=(answer) R_e_

Ahh right that explains it. What do you multiply the Earth's radius by to get the planets radius?

So my (answer) times 2?

No, the radius of the planet is definitely not twice the Earth's radius. You can work it out since you have both quantities. Just rearrange the equation in post # 9 or follow arildno's post for hints.

.707(R_e_) Got it.
Thankyou!

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of a planet with double gravity?

The formula for calculating the radius of a planet with double gravity is R = (2GM)/g, where R is the radius, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do I determine the mass of a planet with double gravity?

The mass of a planet with double gravity can be determined by rearranging the formula to M = (Rg)/2G. You will need to know the radius and acceleration due to gravity of the planet to solve for the mass.

3. Can the radius of a planet with double gravity be larger than its mass?

No, the radius of a planet with double gravity cannot be larger than its mass. This is because the formula for calculating the radius requires the mass to be divided by the acceleration due to gravity, which is a constant value. Therefore, the radius will always be smaller than the mass.

4. How does the radius of a planet with double gravity compare to a planet with normal gravity?

The radius of a planet with double gravity will be smaller than a planet with normal gravity. This is because the mass and acceleration due to gravity are both doubled, resulting in a smaller radius according to the formula R = (2GM)/g.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the radius of a planet with double gravity?

Yes, the radius of a planet with double gravity can also be affected by the density of the planet. A more dense planet will have a smaller radius compared to a less dense planet with the same mass and acceleration due to gravity.