Information on neurplasticity?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Esper
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation suggests using Pubmed and Nature neuroscience to find review articles on synaptic plasticity. They also recommend searching phrases like "synaptic plasticity" and "plasticity" to get a full range of reviews. The conversation also mentions the University of Toronto's animation on long term potentiation as a resource.
Esper
Hi, I was wondering if anybody could point me to where I could find information on neurplasticity? Specifically related to the physiology of it.

Internet sources would be great, but I'd be happy to purchase any books if somebody would make a recommendation. :3

Biology news on Phys.org

You can search the National Library of Medicine at PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez/. Click the "Review" for review articles.

You can also search books at the National Center for Biotechnology information: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=Books/ .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Like Monique said, Pubmed is probably the best place to start looking for review and journal articles.

Also, Nature neuroscience provides mostly high-quality reviews by respected authors, usually intended for a more general audience.

http://www.nature.com/neurosci/index.html

I recommend you search many phrases like "synaptic plasticity" and "plasticity" to get the full range of possible reviews.

However, be aware that neuroplasticity can refer to a large number of things.

What exactly about plasticity were you interested in?

What is neuroplasticity?

Neuroplasticity is the brain's ability to change and reorganize itself throughout life. This includes forming new neural connections, strengthening existing ones, and even creating new neurons.

What are the benefits of neuroplasticity?

Neuroplasticity allows us to adapt and learn new skills, recover from brain injuries, and improve our cognitive abilities. It also plays a role in our emotional and psychological well-being.

Can neuroplasticity be enhanced?

Yes, neuroplasticity can be enhanced through activities such as learning new skills, physical exercise, and mindfulness practices. The brain is constantly changing and adapting, and we can actively shape this process through our behaviors and experiences.

Is neuroplasticity the same for everyone?

No, neuroplasticity varies from person to person and can also change throughout one's lifetime. Factors such as genetics, environment, and age can influence the extent and rate of neuroplasticity.

Can neuroplasticity be reversed?

While the brain's ability to change is remarkable, it is not unlimited. Some changes may be reversible, while others may become more difficult to reverse as we age. However, with proper interventions and training, the brain can continue to adapt and change even in later stages of life.