Christoffel Symbols: Exploring the First and Second Kinds

In summary, the conversation revolved around the use and significance of Christoffel symbols in the study of C. symbols for G.R. class. The discussion also touched upon the differences between C.s. of the first and second kind, their applications in neuroscience and their transformation properties. The final conclusion was that Christoffel symbols are useful mathematical objects that measure the difference between derivatives in the coordinate plane and the rate of change along the actual surface.
student85
Hi guys, I'm studying C. symbols for my G.R. class and have some doubts I hope you can clear out. First, I just saw this in the wikipedia article for C.s.:
0 = gik;l= gik;l - gmk [itex]\Gamma[/itex]mil - gim [itex]\Gamma[/itex]mkl

By permuting the indices, and resumming, one can solve explicitly for the Christoffel symbols:

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]ikl = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]gim (THREE TERMS GO HERE)
I tried hard to write the three terms in Latex but I couldn't so I apologize... the expression I am referring to is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoffel_symbols
Go down a little to where it says Definition... the 2nd and 3rd expressions are the ones I am referring to.
So my question is... how do they get from 0 = gik;l= gik;l - gmk [itex]\Gamma[/itex]mil - gim [itex]\Gamma[/itex]mkl to the next expression, what steps did they follow?

I also have a general question about C.s. ... As far as I know, C.s. of the second kind are used quite frequently, much more that those of the first kind... What are these C.s. of the first kind for then? What do they mean compared to those of the second kind and why are the latter more frequent?
Thanks a lot for any help... you can also just comment on C.s. I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
student85 said:
I also have a general question about C.s. ... As far as I know, C.s. of the second kind are used quite frequently, much more that those of the first kind... What are these C.s. of the first kind for then?

I'm not sure if this is relevant to GR, but in neuroscience they are used to write the metric geodesic equation in coordinates. Say you have a "standard" form of geodesic equation with one sort of CS. If you multiply that equation with the inverse of the metric, you get another form of the geodesic equation, with another sort of CS. The other sort of CS is defined to make this other form also look "standard".

Biess A, Liebermann DG, Flash T. A computational model for redundant human three-dimensional pointing movements: integration of independent spatial and temporal motor plans simplifies movement dynamics. J Neurosci. 2007 Nov 28;27(48):13045-64.
The paper should be free from http://www.pubmed.org or the Journal's page, because of the recent NIH public access policy. I think there's a typo in their definition of the relation between the two sorts of CS, but their equations make sense if I use the definitions at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChristoffelSymbol.html.

Last edited by a moderator:
You misquoted a semicolom.

Using the definition of the covariant derivative:

[tex]
\nabla_{c}g_{ab} = \partial_{c}g_{ab} - \Gamma^{d}_{ca}g_{db} - \Gamma^{d}_{cb}g_{ad}
[/tex]

[tex]
\nabla_{b}g_{ca} = \partial_{b}g_{ca} - \Gamma^{d}_{bc}g_{da} - \Gamma^{d}_{ba}g_{cd}
[/tex]

[tex]
\nabla_{a}g_{bc} = \partial_{a}g_{bc} - \Gamma^{d}_{ab}g_{dc} - \Gamma^{d}_{ac}g_{bd}
[/tex]

Now subtract the 2 last ones from the first equation, and you get those partial derivative terms and all those connection terms. Now use the symmetry of the connection, and the only two connection terms which survive are

[tex]
\Gamma^{d}_{ba}g_{cd} + \Gamma^{d}_{ab}g_{dc} = 2 \Gamma^{d}_{ba}g_{cd}
[/tex]

So appearantly, all thos partial derivative terms are equal to the expression here above.

Thanks guys.
So CS are simply objects which are not invariant under coordinate change... they don't transform under homogeneous transformations that is. Is there some other way to "picture" these CS? Or are they simply useful mathematical objects?

Last edited:
student85 said:
Thanks guys.
So CS are simply objects which are not invariant under coordinate change... they don't transform under homogeneous transformations that is. Is there some other way to "picture" these CS? Or are they simply useful mathematical objects?
Yes, Christoffel Symbols are not tensors- they are not invariant under coordinate change. Essentially, the Christoffel symbols measure the difference between a derivative measured in the coordinate plane and the rate of change along the actual surface. That's basically what Haushofer's
[tex]\nabla_{c}g_{ab} = \partial_{c}g_{ab} - \Gamma^{d}_{ca}g_{db} - \Gamma^{d}_{cb}g_{ad}[/tex]
says. The term on the left is a rate of change in the surface, the partial derivative is the derivative in the tangent plane, and the Christoffel symbols give the difference.

I see. Thanks HallofIvy, that was helpful.
Cheers.

1. What are Christoffel symbols?

Christoffel symbols are mathematical objects used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a manifold. They are named after the German mathematician Elwin Bruno Christoffel.

2. What is the difference between the first and second kinds of Christoffel symbols?

The first kind of Christoffel symbols are used to describe the change in direction of a vector as it moves along a curved surface. The second kind of Christoffel symbols are used to describe the change in magnitude of a vector as it moves along a curved surface.

3. How are Christoffel symbols calculated?

Christoffel symbols can be calculated using a formula involving the metric tensor, which describes the distance and angles between points on a manifold. The formula involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor and applying the Einstein summation convention.

4. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in physics?

Christoffel symbols are used in physics, particularly in the field of general relativity, to describe the curvature of spacetime. They are important in understanding the effects of gravity on objects and the motion of particles in curved space.

5. How are Christoffel symbols used in applications?

Christoffel symbols have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to calculate geodesics (the shortest paths between points) on curved surfaces, and to understand the behavior of systems with complex geometries.