Image Processing Software; suggestions?

In summary, suggestions for image processing software for astrophysics lab courses include IRAF, MIDAS, and IRIS. IRAF is a commandline-based program for heavy duty processing and analysis, while MIDAS is similar and used by the European ESO observatory. For Mac users, ICCD may be worth trying.
lzkelley
Hi, I'm in an astrophysics lab course - and the CCD image processing software on the physics department computers are .. frustrating to say the least.
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something i could download and run on my mac; preferably free.

Thanks,

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The standard in professional astronomy is probably IRAF http://iraf.noao.edu/
It's commandline based and meant for heavy duty image processing and analyis rather than just click and play- although the image view, SAO is very good.

MIDAS is a similair system for the european ESO observatory -I don't know how tied to ESO isntruments this is.

Last edited:

What is image processing software?

Image processing software is a type of computer program that is specifically designed to manipulate and enhance digital images. It allows users to edit, modify, and improve the quality of images using various tools and techniques.

What are some common features of image processing software?

Some common features of image processing software include image resizing, cropping, color correction, filters and effects, noise reduction, and image stitching. These tools allow users to make various adjustments and enhancements to their images.

What are some popular image processing software programs?

Some popular image processing software programs include Adobe Photoshop, Corel PaintShop Pro, GIMP, and Pixlr. These programs offer a wide range of features and tools for professional and amateur users.

What should I consider when choosing image processing software?

When choosing image processing software, you should consider your level of expertise, budget, and the specific features and tools you need. It's also important to read reviews and compare different programs to find the best fit for your needs.

Are there any free options for image processing software?

Yes, there are several free options for image processing software, including GIMP, Pixlr, and Paint.NET. These programs offer a range of features and tools for basic image editing and are a great option for those on a budget or new to image processing.