How to calculate the dipole moment of a molecule?

In summary, to calculate the dipole moment of a molecule, one can use the electronegative values from the periodic table. It may also be helpful to refer to a book or theoretical article for an equation or formula, as well as the bond length of the molecule. One such article is "Theory of Dipole Moments Induced Between Well-Separated Atoms" by Joel I. Gersten, which can be found on the PRL website.
transgalactic
how to calculate the dipole moment of a molecule??

using electronegative values of periodic table
??

Physics news on Phys.org

transgalactic said:
using electronegative values of periodic table
??

Show your work ... in all likelihood you are probably going to be banned for disregarding theforum rules on five consecutive posts.

there is no work here
what is the general theory??

Did you teacher give you an equation for calculating the dipole moment of a molecule? If not, it should be in your book.

You'll also need to know the bond length...

can you give me the equation,foruma,theoretical article
i have no such book

Theory of Dipole Moments Induced Between Well-Separated Atoms
Joel I. Gersten
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v179/i1/p1_1

it asks for a password

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the dipole moment of a molecule?

The dipole moment of a molecule can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge on each atom by the distance between them, and then summing these values for all atoms in the molecule.

3. What units are used to measure dipole moment?

Dipole moment is typically measured in Debye (D) units, which is equal to 3.33564 x 10^-30 coulomb-meters (Cm).

4. What is the formula for calculating dipole moment?

The formula for calculating dipole moment is μ = Q x r, where μ is the dipole moment, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the charges.

5. How does the geometry of a molecule affect its dipole moment?

The geometry of a molecule can greatly affect its dipole moment. Molecules with symmetric geometry, such as linear or symmetrical tetrahedral structures, tend to have a dipole moment of zero. Molecules with asymmetric geometry, such as bent or unsymmetrical tetrahedral structures, tend to have a non-zero dipole moment.