Force on current carrying conductor

In summary, the task was to find the force acting on a 20cm wire carrying a current of 10A in a uniform magnetic field of 0.3T at an angle of 40 degrees. Using the formula F=LIB sin<theta>, the attempt at a solution resulted in an answer of 0.35, which was different from the answer given in the textbook of 0.39. It was determined that the discrepancy was due to an incorrect calculation of the sin of 40 degrees. Correcting this error, the answer was rounded down to 0.35, which agreed with the book's answer.
uzair_ha91

Homework Statement

A 20cm wire carrying a current of 10A is placed in a uniform
magnetic field of 0.3T. If the wire makes an angle of 40 degrees with
the direction of magnetic field, find the force acting on the wire.

Homework Equations

F=LIB sin<theta>

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer:: 0.35, but in the textbook, the answer written at the back is 0.39...which one's correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
uzair_ha91 said:

Homework Statement

A 20cm wire carrying a current of 10A is placed in a uniform
magnetic field of 0.3T. If the wire makes an angle of 40 degrees with
the direction of magnetic field, find the force acting on the wire.

Homework Equations

F=LIB sin<theta>

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer:: 0.35, but in the textbook, the answer written at the back is 0.39...which one's correct??

Rounding my answer down I agree with the book.I bet you punched the wrong calculator button when you was working out the sin.Sin40=0.643

As a scientist, it is important to understand that there can be slight variations in calculated values due to rounding or other factors. In this case, both answers are close and within a reasonable range of each other. It is also possible that the textbook used slightly different values for the given variables, resulting in a slightly different answer. As long as the correct formula and proper units were used in the calculation, either answer can be considered acceptable. If further clarification is needed, it would be best to consult with the teacher or professor for additional guidance.

1. What is the force on a current carrying conductor?

The force on a current carrying conductor is the result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the conductor. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How do you calculate the force on a current carrying conductor?

The force on a current carrying conductor can be calculated using the formula F = I * L * B * sin(theta), where F is the force, I is the current, L is the length of the conductor, B is the magnetic field, and theta is the angle between the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the force on a current carrying conductor?

The direction of the force on a current carrying conductor is determined by the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the force will be directed perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the force on a current carrying conductor?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the force on a current carrying conductor. A stronger magnetic field will result in a stronger force on the conductor, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a weaker force.

5. What is the application of the force on a current carrying conductor?

The force on a current carrying conductor has many applications, including electric motors, generators, and speakers. It also plays a crucial role in the operation of devices like MRI machines and particle accelerators.