Computer Science Forum: Neuroscience Student Asks "PEBKAC?

• Thread starter kldickson
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Computer Science forum for troubleshooting and whether it is meant for more specific topics such as AI. The speaker also mentions alternative forums for computer-related questions.
kldickson
Disclaimer: I am not a computer scientist or compsci major. I am a neuroscience student, and a very nitpicky person at that.

I was not aware that the Computer Science forum was to be used for troubleshooting. Isn't it supposed to be for more, well, compsci topics? AI, etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
kldickson said:
Disclaimer: I am not a computer scientist or compsci major. I am a neuroscience student, and a very nitpicky person at that.

I was not aware that the Computer Science forum was to be used for troubleshooting. Isn't it supposed to be for more, well, compsci topics? AI, etc?
Not really, it's just where we moved all of the questions about computers. There is another thread on this already.

If you need an answer to a computer software / hardware problem you might do better on a more specific computer forum.
eg www.stackoverflow.com[/url] (programming), [url]www.serverfault.com[/url] (sysdmin), [url]www.superuser.com[/URL] (general)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does "PEBKAC" stand for?

"PEBKAC" is an acronym commonly used in the computer science field that stands for "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair". It is often used in a humorous or lighthearted manner to refer to user error or mistakes made by the person operating the computer.

2. Is "PEBKAC" a technical term in computer science?

No, "PEBKAC" is not a technical term in computer science. It is a slang term that has become popular within the industry, particularly among IT professionals and developers.

3. Where did the term "PEBKAC" originate?

The exact origins of the term "PEBKAC" are unclear, but it is believed to have originated in the late 20th century within the IT support community. It is possible that it was first used in online forums or chat rooms as a shorthand way to refer to user error.

4. Is it offensive to use the term "PEBKAC"?

Some people may find the term "PEBKAC" offensive or derogatory, especially if it is used to belittle or mock someone's technical abilities. It is important to be mindful of the context and tone in which the term is used and to avoid using it in a demeaning or disrespectful manner.

5. Are there any alternative terms to "PEBKAC"?

Yes, there are several alternative terms that are often used interchangeably with "PEBKAC", such as "ID-10T error" or "layer 8 problem". These terms all refer to user error and are used in a similar humorous or tongue-in-cheek manner.