Davy's Safety Lamp: How Does it Get Oxygen to Burn in Coal Mines?

In summary, the lamp gets oxygen from the air to burn the methane in the coal mine. The screen acts as a flame arrestor, and the air and any firedamp present can pass through the mesh freely enough to support combustion.
1/2"
Hi there!
(It's not actually a homework question)
I just wanted to ask where does the lamp get oxygen to burn on in coal mines.
So there must be an inlet for air. Of course it is explained in my book that as the wire mesh distributes the heat therefore the temperature does not rise to the ignition point of the methane in coal mines.
What i don't get is ,there must be a source of air for the lamp(cuz you don't carry an oxygen cylinder for it).And it must reach the flame and if it contains methane it would burst right away(??)
I just can't get a completed picture of it.I know there must be some reason because it's practically possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mine is open to the outside world. Remember that the miners need air to breath.

1/2" said:
Hi there!
(It's not actually a homework question)
I just wanted to ask where does the lamp get oxygen to burn on in coal mines.
So there must be an inlet for air. Of course it is explained in my book that as the wire mesh distributes the heat therefore the temperature does not rise to the ignition point of the methane in coal mines.
What i don't get is ,there must be a source of air for the lamp(cuz you don't carry an oxygen cylinder for it).And it must reach the flame and if it contains methane it would burst right away(??)
I just can't get a completed picture of it.I know there must be some reason because it's practically possible.

The screen acts as a flame arrestor; air (and any firedamp present) can pass through the mesh freely enough to support combustion, but the holes are too fine to allow a flame to propagate through them and ignite any firedamp outside the mesh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_lamp

Thank you all for your help!

1. What is Davy's Safety lamp?

Davy's Safety lamp is a type of oil lamp designed by Sir Humphry Davy in the early 19th century. It was used in coal mines to prevent explosions caused by flammable gases.

2. How does Davy's Safety lamp work?

The lamp works by enclosing the flame in a wire mesh screen, allowing the light to pass through but preventing the flame from igniting any flammable gases present in the mine. The mesh also has small holes to allow air to enter and keep the flame burning.

3. What are the benefits of using Davy's Safety lamp?

Davy's Safety lamp greatly reduced the risk of explosions in coal mines, making them safer for workers. It also allowed miners to continue working in areas with high levels of flammable gases, increasing productivity and profitability.

4. Are there any limitations to Davy's Safety lamp?

Davy's Safety lamp is not completely foolproof and can still pose a risk if used improperly. It can also be affected by changes in air flow and ventilation in the mine. Additionally, it does not protect against all types of explosions, such as those caused by coal dust.

5. Is Davy's Safety lamp still used today?

Davy's Safety lamp is no longer used in modern coal mines due to advancements in technology. However, it is still used in some historical reenactments or demonstrations to show the importance and impact of its invention.