(special relativity)Trajectory under constant ordinary force

In summary, a particle is subject to a constant force F on +x direction. At t = 0, it is located at origin with velocity vo in +y direction. The attempt at a solution is to use the Laplace transform to simplify the process of solving the coupled equations for the particle's final trajectory.
hoyung711

Homework Statement

A particle is subject to a constant force F on +x direction. At t = 0, it is located at origin with velocity vo in +y direction.

Homework Equations

Determine the trajectory of the particle. x(t),y(t),z(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\vec{p}= \int \vec{F} dt[/tex]
[tex]\vec{p} = \vec{F}t + constant[/tex]

At t=0
[tex]\vec{p} = \gamma mv_{o}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{p} = Ft\hat{x} + \gamma mv_{o}\hat{y}[/tex]

what should I do next? should I integral over [tex]p_{x}[/tex] and [tex]p_{y}[/tex] separately? Is that so, what are the exact steps?

I tried using
[tex] p_{x} = \frac{mu_{x}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}_{x}}{c^{2}}}} = Ft[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = \frac{mc^{2}}{F} (\sqrt{1+\frac{Ft}{mc}^{2}} -1) [/tex]

what about y(t)? it seems it is a linear with t. I don't know where I get wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hoyung711 said:
I tried using
[tex] p_{x} = \frac{mu_{x}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}_{x}}{c^{2}}}} = Ft[/tex]

[itex]\gamma[/itex] involves [itex]u^2[/itex], not just the x-component of the velocity:wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
[itex]\gamma[/itex] involves [itex]u^2[/itex], not just the x-component of the velocity:wink:

Do you mean I have to use
[tex]\frac{mu_{x}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}_{x}+u^{2}_{y}}{c^{2}}}} = Ft[/tex]
[tex]\frac{mu_{y}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{u^{2}_{x}+u^{2}_{y}}{c^{2}}}} = \gamma mu_{o}[/tex]

and solve these coupling equations?

Last edited:
Yup.

Do I have another way, because there will be messy if I solve the coupling and then take the integral.
Would Lorentz's transform help me to simplify the process?

Using L.T. s.t. [tex]\bar{S}[/tex] is moving in y-direction with [tex]u_{o}[/tex]

[tex]\bar{F_{x}}=\gamma F[/tex]
[tex]\bar{F_{y}}=0[/tex]
[tex]\bar{F_{z}}=0[/tex]

[tex]\bar{u_{x}}=0[/tex]
[tex]\bar{u_{y}}=0[/tex]
[tex]\bar{u_{z}}=0[/tex]

Is this correct?

Last edited:
I think my L.T. transform got some problems since the answer is too simple..
Can anyone give a hand?

I just sketch the method I used.
First use
[tex]\frac{d\gamma mu_{x}}{dt}=F_{x}=F[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\gamma mu_{y}}{dt}=0[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d\gamma mu_{z}}{dt}=0[/tex]

Then shows z is always zero
Hence the [tex]u^{2}[/tex] in the [tex]\gamma[/tex] becomes [tex]u_{x}^{2}+u_{y}^{2}[/tex]

Afterwards, integrated out [tex]u_{x}[/tex] and [tex]u_{y}[/tex]
decouple the equation s.t. one involves only [tex]u_{x}[/tex] and other [tex]u_{y}[/tex]
integrate it again, you will get the answer

Last edited:

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between time and space. It states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. What is a trajectory under constant ordinary force?

A trajectory under constant ordinary force refers to the path of an object that is being acted upon by a constant force, such as gravity. This trajectory is affected by both the initial velocity and the force acting on the object.

3. How does special relativity affect trajectories under constant ordinary force?

Special relativity takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction on the trajectory of an object under constant ordinary force. These effects can cause the trajectory to appear different to different observers, depending on their relative motion.

4. Can special relativity explain why objects in orbit do not fall back to Earth?

Yes, special relativity plays a role in explaining why objects in orbit do not fall back to Earth. The theory predicts that objects moving at high speeds will experience time dilation, causing them to experience time at a slower rate. This allows them to stay in orbit without falling back to Earth.

5. How does special relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of cosmology. It has helped us better understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as stars and galaxies, and has led to the development of other theories such as general relativity and the Big Bang theory.