How to get force between two permanent magnets using ANSYS?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving finding the force between two permanent magnets using ANSYS software. The person is unsure how to use the ANSYS magnetostatic module and is looking for help or tutorials. They also inquire about alternative methods or software for the project. A link to a similar thread on the subject is provided as a potential resource.
needmagnethel
Hello,

I am working on a project which requires me to find the force between two permanent magnets. The configuration of the two magnets is variable, and they are of different geometries, so I thought the best way to do this would be by using ANSYS.

I have never used the ANSYS magnetostatic module before, so I am very unsure as to how to use it. I imported the magnets' geometry into ANSYS from SolidWorks, but now don't know how to proceed (how to set up magnetic properties and generate a solution).

Does anyone have experience with this software who can help me or direct me to good tutorials or guides? Alternatively, is there an easier way to do this that I'm missing (either by hand or with another, easier software)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. How do I set up the simulation for force calculation between two permanent magnets in ANSYS?

To set up the simulation, you will need to create a 3D model of the two magnets in ANSYS. Then, assign appropriate material properties to the magnets and define the desired contact type between them. Finally, apply appropriate boundary conditions and run the simulation to calculate the force between the magnets.

2. What type of analysis should I use in ANSYS to calculate the force between two permanent magnets?

You can use either a static structural analysis or a transient electromagnetic analysis in ANSYS to calculate the force between two permanent magnets. The choice of analysis will depend on the specific requirements of your simulation.

3. How do I define the magnetic properties of the permanent magnets in ANSYS?

You can define the magnetic properties of the permanent magnets in ANSYS by specifying the remanent flux density, coercive force, and relative permeability of the materials. These properties can be found in the material properties library or can be entered manually.

4. Can I simulate the force between two permanent magnets in a non-linear magnetic material?

Yes, ANSYS allows for the simulation of forces between two permanent magnets in non-linear magnetic materials. You will need to specify the non-linear magnetic properties of the materials in the simulation setup.

5. How can I visualize and analyze the results of the force calculation between two permanent magnets in ANSYS?

ANSYS provides various tools and features for visualizing and analyzing the results of your simulation. You can view the force calculation results in the form of contours, vectors, or graphs. Additionally, you can use the probe tool to extract specific force values at different locations between the magnets.