Magnetic Field Under a Thunder Storm

In summary, Tay's question is about the magnetic field that would be created by electrons in the ground moving towards the center of a thunderstorm. She is having difficulty picturing the field because it relies on non-traditional electron movement. The right hand rule seems difficult to employ. Tay has found some basic information about cumulonimbus clouds, but is unable to find any studies investigating a magnetic field created by the fleeting electrons in the Earth.
taylaron
Gold Member
Hello, I've been trying to figure out the shape of the magnetic field that would accompany the movement of electrons in the ground moving towards the center of the thunderstorm.
In a perfect world where the electron distribution is even in the ground and where the Earth consists of like materials, what would the magnetic field look like if drawn out?

i'm having difficulty picturing the field as it relies on non-traditional electron movement through a medium. The right hand rule seems difficult to employ.

Regards,

-Tay

Engineering news on Phys.org
taylaron said:
Hello, I've been trying to figure out the shape of the magnetic field that would accompany the movement of electrons in the ground moving towards the center of the thunderstorm.
In a perfect world where the electron distribution is even in the ground and where the Earth consists of like materials, what would the magnetic field look like if drawn out?

i'm having difficulty picturing the field as it relies on non-traditional electron movement through a medium. The right hand rule seems difficult to employ.

Regards,

-Tay

Could you please provide some context and background to your question? Is it for a graduate level project, personal interest, work related, etc? What research have you done so far, and what have you found? What about those results confuses and intrigues you?

The primary reason why I’m seeking this data is for my personal research into the formation conditions of ball lightning. I do not intend to delve into the highly debatable topic of ball lightning in this thread.
Some basic information about cumulonimbus clouds from Mark Stenhoff’s Ball Lightning: An Unsolved Problem in Atmospheric Physics:

Cumulonimbus clouds often have a negative charge near the Earth and a positive charge on the top of the cloud. Such a cloud might contain about 40 coulombs (up to an excess of 100 coulombs) of static electricity. Such a high concentration of charge in the sky would cause electrons in the Earth below the cloud to repel from that area. Of course, this would happen during the entire length of the storm, but it is the shape of the magnetic field created by the fleeting electrons in the Earth that I am interested in.

Of course the rate at which electrons repelled in the Earth is determined by many factors including the intensity of the electric field created by the cloud as well as the conductivity of the varying mediums in the Earth and charge density in the various regions near the cloud prior to the cloud’s formation.

It is the magnetic field caused by the movement of charges away (or towards) the center of a hemispherical conductive mass that I’m investigating.

I’m having difficulty visualizing the magnetic field because the direction of the moving electrons in this mass is not uniform as it is in a wire. This makes the right hand rule difficult to apply. When applied to the individual motion of each electron in the mass, the field becomes difficult to visualize in three dimensions.

I’ve been unable to find any examples of studies investigating such a field online.

I am an undergraduate student studying electrical engineering. My current understanding of physics and QED is limited but I do understand many concepts involved in the movement of electrons. However my understanding of the math is limited. My calculus education is in progress.

Thank you for your input.
Regards,

-Tay

1. What causes a magnetic field under a thunderstorm?

The primary cause of a magnetic field under a thunderstorm is the movement of charged particles within the storm. Lightning strikes and strong electric fields can cause electrons and ions to move, creating an electric current that generates a magnetic field.

2. How strong is the magnetic field under a thunderstorm?

The strength of the magnetic field under a thunderstorm can vary greatly, but it is typically in the range of 1 to 100 nanotesla (nT). This is relatively weak compared to other sources of magnetic fields, such as Earth's magnetic field, which is around 25,000 nT at the equator.

3. Can a magnetic field under a thunderstorm affect electronic devices?

Yes, a strong enough magnetic field under a thunderstorm can interfere with electronic devices. This is because the magnetic field can induce electric currents in conductive materials, which can disrupt the normal functioning of electronic circuits. However, the strength of the magnetic field under a typical thunderstorm is usually not strong enough to cause significant interference.

4. How far does the magnetic field under a thunderstorm extend?

The magnetic field under a thunderstorm can extend for several kilometers, but its strength decreases with distance from the source. At a distance of 10 kilometers, the magnetic field strength is typically less than 1 nT, which is too weak to be detected by most instruments.

5. Can the magnetic field under a thunderstorm be measured?

Yes, the magnetic field under a thunderstorm can be measured using specialized instruments such as magnetometers. These instruments can detect changes in the magnetic field and provide valuable information about the strength and behavior of the field under a thunderstorm. However, the data collected by these instruments must be carefully analyzed to separate the effects of the storm's magnetic field from other sources of magnetic fields.