Separable differential equation and Integration by parts

In summary, the equation given is solved by integration by parts and substitution. The right hand side is integrated using a substitution of u = sin(x), while the left hand side is integrated by parts with a substitution of u = y and dv = e^-y dy.
BarackObama

Homework Statement

dy/dx = e^ysin^2x/ysecx

Stewart 6e 10.3 # 8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ydy/e^y = sin^2xdx/secx
e^-ydy = sec^-1xsin^2xdx

Integration by parts
u = e^-y
du = -e^-y
dv = ydy
v = y^2/2

∫udv = e^-yy^2/2 + ∫y^2/2e^-y
= y^2/2e^y + y^3/6?
another integration by parts?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have something of the form (y^m)e^(ny) which you need to integrate by parts, you want to differentiate y^m and integrate e^(ny), because this reduces the exponent on the y in subsequent integrals. Note you concluded with "another integration by parts" because you made the problem more difficult.

Also, be flexible. While this is easy to integrate by parts, note that differentiating y*e^-y is going to get you a y*e^-y term back (except maybe with a minus in front). In fact, letting f(y) = -y*e^-y, we see that f'(y) = y*e^-y - e^-y, so that adding Ce^-y to f(y) originally would have given you back y*e^-y upon differentiating (for an appropriate C, whose value should be obvious). Then f(y) + Ce^-y would be your antiderivative.

I'm still not sure how to proceed with this one... how do I integrate the right hand side?

BarackObama said:
I'm still not sure how to proceed with this one... how do I integrate the right hand side?

1/sec(x) = cos(x)

Ok, I can do that substitution and then integrate by parts.

Still not sure how to integrate the left side though.

BarackObama said:
Ok, I can do that substitution and then integrate by parts.

Still not sure how to integrate the left side though.

Why on Earth would you integrate by parts? That particular integral is best handled with a u-substitution.

right, let u = sin^2x

can you show me how to integrate the left side?

Right hand side: Let u = sin(x), not sin^2(x)

Left hand side: Let u = y, dv = e^-y dy

1. What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form of two separate functions multiplied by each other, where each function depends on only one of the variables. This makes it easier to solve the equation by separating the variables and integrating each side separately.

2. How do you solve a separable differential equation?

To solve a separable differential equation, you first need to separate the variables by moving all terms containing one variable to one side of the equation and all terms containing the other variable to the other side. Then, you integrate both sides of the equation with respect to their respective variables. Finally, you solve for the constant of integration and simplify the solution if necessary.

3. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used to find the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule from calculus to rewrite the integral in a different form, making it easier to solve. This method is especially useful when the integrand contains a product of two functions, one of which is more complicated to integrate than the other.

4. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is best used when the integrand is a product of two functions, one of which is more complicated to integrate than the other. In this case, using integration by parts can simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also be used to solve integrals that cannot be solved using other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions.

5. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions of the variable of integration and du and dv are their respective differentials. This formula can be applied repeatedly if necessary, with the goal of simplifying the integral on the right side of the equation. The choice of which function to assign as u or v is usually determined by the "ILATE" rule (Inverse trigonometric, Logarithmic, Algebraic, Trigonometric, Exponential).