Monotone and bounded sequence

It means that there exists some "big" number M that is bigger than all the x_n. So M - x_n is always positive. But then, note that if you replace M with a bigger number, the difference is still positive. This is important because you're trying to show that s_n is bounded. So given that M is big enough to be bigger than all the x_n, can you show that M - s_n is positive?In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a sequence of real numbers, x_n, is both bounded and monotone, then the sequence s_n, defined as the average of the first n terms of x_n, is also bounded and monotone. The key is to use
rohitmishra
Let (xn) be a seq of real nos and let sn = x1+x2+x3+...+xn / n.

prove that if if xn is bounded and monotone, then sn is also bdd and monotone.

How can i got about this one.. ?

I got it in the test today and i couldn't figure it out. only hint i could think of is how do i prove if xn is increasing because if i prove tht i can prove it. but i could not do it

please some one suggest

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not supposed to prove that x_n is increasing since you're basically given that x_n is either increasing or decreasing. This is what monotone means, though perhaps you would replace increasing with non-decreasing and decreasing with non-increasing if you allowed subsequent terms in the sequence to be equal to previous terms.

You need to prove two things here: 1. s_n is bounded, 2. s_n is monotone. First, to show s_n is bounded, you obviously need to use the hypothesis that x_n is bounded. What does it mean for x_n to be bounded?

What is a monotone sequence?

A monotone sequence is a sequence of numbers that either increases or decreases monotonically, meaning that each term is either greater than or equal to (in the case of an increasing sequence) or less than or equal to (in the case of a decreasing sequence) the previous term.

What is a bounded sequence?

A bounded sequence is a sequence of numbers that has both an upper bound and a lower bound. This means that all the terms in the sequence fall within a specific range of values.

How can you determine if a sequence is monotone?

To determine if a sequence is monotone, you can look at the difference between consecutive terms. If the difference is always positive (or always negative), then the sequence is monotone. Alternatively, you can graph the sequence and see if it is always increasing or decreasing.

What is the importance of monotone and bounded sequences?

Monotone and bounded sequences are important in mathematics and science because they help us understand the behavior of functions and models. They also have many real-world applications, such as in economics, physics, and computer science.

Can a sequence be monotone and unbounded?

No, a sequence cannot be both monotone and unbounded. If a sequence is monotone, it must either be increasing or decreasing, meaning that it will either have a lower bound or an upper bound (or both). If a sequence is unbounded, it means that it does not have a limit, which contradicts the definition of a monotone sequence.