Complex Analysis Singularities and Poles

In summary: Yes, you can use h. My point was that you don't need to explicitly include g in your explanation because it doesn't affect the overall conclusion. But overall, your explanation for part (c) is correct.
bballife1508
Assume throughout that f is analytic, with a zero of order 42 at z=0.

(a)What kind of zero does f' have at z=0? Why?

(b)What kind of singularity does 1/f have at z=0? Why?

(c)What kind of singularity does f'/f have at z=0? Why?

for (a) I'm pretty sure it is a zero of order 41

for (b) I'm almost sure it is a pole of order 42

but for (c) I am not quite sure nor can I really explain any of a-c

PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you arrived at a plausible answer, you must have some intuition for this. Explain it, and go back to the definitions if you need to. You must have some idea about the form of a holomorphic function with a zero of order 42.

are my answers correct and how can i do (c)?

Okay, if some analytic function f has a zero of order n at z = a, then you can certainly write it as f(z) = (z-a)^n * h(z) where h is holomorphic, right? This much should at least be true even if all you had was a sensible notion of a zero of a function. So go from here to explain a)-c). It is NOT hard to work out the details.

is it sufficient to say that

f(z)=z^42*h(z) which implies that f'(z)=42z^41*g(z)

so f'/f has an extra z on the bottom so there is a pole of order 1?

Looks good, though you don't really need the g.

what do you mean i don't need the g? i can't use h still correct?

What is a singularity in complex analysis?

A singularity in complex analysis is a point on a complex plane where a function becomes infinite or undefined. It is also known as a pole or a branch point.

What is a pole in complex analysis?

A pole in complex analysis is a type of singularity where a function approaches infinity as it approaches a specific point on the complex plane. It is a point of discontinuity for the function.

How can singularities and poles affect the behavior of a function?

Singularities and poles can cause a function to behave differently in different regions of the complex plane. They can also affect the convergence and differentiability of the function.

How can singularities and poles be classified?

Singularities and poles can be classified as removable, essential, or branch points. Removable singularities can be removed by redefining the function at that point, essential singularities cannot be removed, and branch points are points of discontinuity on a branch of a multi-valued function.

Why are singularities and poles important in complex analysis?

Singularities and poles play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of complex functions. They are also important in the study of complex integration and the applications of complex analysis in other fields, such as physics and engineering.