Derivative of the exponential map for matrices

In summary: BIn summary, the problem is about finding the derivative of the exponential matrix function and using a limit to show that it is equal to the matrix itself. The given equation exp(A) = sum_{k=0}^infinity A^k/k! can be used to find the derivative, and the limit \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}(\exp(B+hA)-\exp(B))=\exp(B) can be used to show that the derivative is equal to the matrix itself.
tolain

Homework Statement

exp^\prime(0)B=B for all n by n matrices B.

Homework Equations

exp(A)= \sum_{k=0}^\infty A^k/k!

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously I want to calculate the limit of some series, but I don't know what series to calculate. I wanted to try \lim_{h \to 0}(\exp(hB)-exp(0))/h, but I'm not sure if that's right. I feel like that's just taking the directional derivative, and not the entire derivative of exp. I'm just a little lost right now, and all would I like is not even solution but just help in pointing me in the right direction as to which limit I should be expliciting calculating.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what variable are you differentiating with respect to?

do you mean the derivative w.r.t. some variable, say t, of teh exponential matrix function
[tex] e^{At} [/tex]

or is A perhaps a function of some variable say t, A = A(t)?

tolain said:
I wanted to try \lim_{h \to 0}(\exp(hB)-exp(0))/h

That's good. But you can also write [itex]\exp (Bt)[/itex] as a power series an differentiate this power series term by term at t=0 (you would have to justify that differentiating term by term is ok here).

P.S. No. That's not good. Your notation suggest something else, a different meaning. You probably want to show that for any matrix A you have

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\exp (B+tA)|_{t=0}=\exp(B).[/tex]

That is

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\left(\exp(B+hA)-\exp(B)\right)=\exp(B)[/tex]

The notation is not clear - see the previous comment by lanedance.

Last edited:
yeah so i think you want to look at
[tex] (\frac{d}{dt}e^{Bt})|_{t=0} [/tex]

1. What is the exponential map for matrices?

The exponential map for matrices is a mathematical function that takes a square matrix as input and calculates its exponential value. It is represented as exp(A), where A is the input matrix and exp() is the exponential function.

2. What is the derivative of the exponential map for matrices?

The derivative of the exponential map for matrices is the rate of change of the exponential function with respect to the input matrix. It is denoted as dexp(A)/dA or simply exp'(A). It is a fundamental concept in matrix calculus and is used in various applications such as optimization and differential equations.

3. How is the derivative of the exponential map for matrices calculated?

The derivative of the exponential map for matrices can be calculated using the following formula: exp'(A) = exp(A) * A, where exp(A) is the exponential value of the input matrix and A is the input matrix itself. This formula is derived from the definition of the exponential map and the chain rule of calculus.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of the exponential map for matrices?

The derivative of the exponential map for matrices has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to solve differential equations, to optimize functions involving matrices, and to perform error analysis in numerical simulations. It also provides a way to approximate the exponential value of a matrix, which is a computationally expensive operation.

5. Are there any special cases or properties of the derivative of the exponential map for matrices?

Yes, the derivative of the exponential map for matrices has several interesting properties. For example, it follows the product rule and the power rule of calculus. It also satisfies the property that exp'(A) = exp(A) * A = A * exp(A), which is known as the Lie product formula. Additionally, it has applications in Lie theory, which studies the symmetries of differential equations.