Advice on finding math specialization

In summary, the speaker is graduating with a B.S. in math and is interested in continuing on to graduate school. However, they are unsure about which specific area of mathematics they want to specialize in. They are seeking advice and book recommendations, as well as information about the usual sequence of events in graduate school. The person responding can recommend a book for general advice about grad school, but does not have a clear answer to the question of choosing a specialization before or after starting graduate school.
dzza
I'll be graduating in the fall with my b.s. in math and I'd like to continue on to graduate school. I would feel better about it though if I had a clue what particular area of mathematics I wanted to specialize in. So far, in my undergraduate career, I've gotten a good working overview of the fundamentals, but I've been exposed to very little motivation for 'what comes after' the basics.

I'd love to hear from someone who dealt with this issue himself/herself. Any book recommendations concerning the scope of some of these subfields might also be useful.

Also- I'm not aware of the usual sequence of events. Is it the case that most people know what their area of study will be before graduate school, or is it entirely possible to get a graduate degree just studying general mathematics as one does as an undergraduate, albeit at a higher level?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can recommend Steven Krantz's "A Mathematician's Survival Guide," for good general advice about grad school. However, I'm afraid that it doesn't really answer your question. In fact, I have not encountered a very clear answer to your question anywhere. On the one hand, it has been commonly suggested that one apply to schools that have strong programs in the area you'd like to specialize in. On the other hand, I've read that you won't really know what you want to specialize in until after you've been in graduate school for a while, so you should apply to a school with wide variety of subfields represented, and don't go in married to one particular area.

Perhaps Mathwonk will come along and educate the pair of us. :)

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a math specialization?

When choosing a math specialization, it is important to consider your personal interests and strengths, as well as the career opportunities and job market demand for that particular specialization. You should also consider the level of difficulty and required background knowledge for the specialization.

2. How can I determine which math specialization is right for me?

One way to determine which math specialization is right for you is to take a variety of math courses in different areas and see which ones you enjoy and excel in. You can also talk to professors or professionals in the field for guidance and advice.

3. Can I switch math specializations during my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch math specializations during your studies. However, it may require taking additional courses and extending your graduation timeline. It is important to speak with an academic advisor before making any changes to your specialization.

4. Are there any math specializations that have better job prospects?

There is no one math specialization that guarantees better job prospects. However, certain specializations may be in higher demand in certain industries. It is important to research the job market and consider your personal interests and strengths when choosing a specialization.

5. What resources are available to help me find the right math specialization?

Many universities have career centers or academic advisors who can provide guidance and resources for choosing a math specialization. You can also attend career fairs and networking events, and research online for information and advice from professionals in the field.