All about aluminium tetrafluoride

• Thread starter kandelabr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminium
In summary, the conversation was about the search for information on aluminium tetrafluoride, including its reaction with water, formation enthalpies, and temperatures. Various sources were suggested, including a patent and material safety data sheet. It was also mentioned that the substance is chemically inert at room temperature and can be produced on an industrial scale. Suggestions for alternatives, including cryolite and diamonds, were also discussed. Ultimately, the conversation concluded with the discovery that the substance is actually AlF3 and a cheap alternative to the initially sought after information was found.
kandelabr
Hello.

I can't find any data on aluminium tetrafluoride. I am looking for its reaction with water, formation enthalpies, temperatures and anything/everything else.

Could someone give me at least a hint where to look at, a material database, a book, website, anything...?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
kandelabr said:
aluminium tetrafluoride

Sodium? Potassium? Aluminum tetrafluoride is not a full name. It is like stating "I can't information about chloride".

Actually, I don't know. There's the patent I found:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4403643.pdf

See table on page 4 - there Aluminum floride (I guess it's AlF4).

Any similar substances would also be welcome.

kandelabr said:
Aluminum floride (I guess it's AlF4).

You guess wrong, no wonder you can't find anything. It is AlF3.

kandelabr:
Here is a link to a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for AlF3:
http://www.solvaychemicals.us/static/wma/pdf/5/1/1/9/ALF.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, I've seen this but it doesn't contain any data i am looking for.

i also found out prices for this material are ~100$ per gram. i would need ~100 kg. since i don't have millions, i guess i should be looking for something else?

Try this link:
http://www.alcoa.com/alumina_minerals/north_america/en/pdf/aluminafluoride.pdf

You will note that this material is chemically inert at room temps. I don't know why you need formation enthalpies since this material is produced on an industrial scale.

Your price information seems to be off as well. It comes in 50 and 100 pound bags, which at a price of $100/g, would cost either $2.25 mil or $4.5 mil.

SteamKing said:
... I don't know why you need formation enthalpies since this material is produced on an industrial scale...

sorry, i was wrong - i don't need to know formation enthalpies, i need to know how much energy is released when this thing reacts with water to form a hydrate and how do i reverse this reaction.

and maybe not only for aluminium fluoride, could be any other substance. in general, i am looking for a strongly exothermic reaction that is reversible. your ideas are very welcome, if you have any.

thanks.

I think the sentence "At ambient temperatures, it is chemically inactive." takes care of producing any strongly exothermic reactions.

I don't know about the exothermic reaction of AlF3 with water, but you have a very good chance of getting this for lower cost because, Na3AlF6 is Cryolite and it is a naturally occurring substance.

dmssrinivas said:
I don't know about the exothermic reaction of AlF3 with water, but you have a very good chance of getting this for lower cost because, Na3AlF6 is Cryolite and it is a naturally occurring substance.

No idea what you mean.

Borek said:
No idea what you mean.

I mean, $100 a gram is too much for a naturally occurring substance.

after a little research and a bit of luck, i found out it is actually AlF3. This is a really cheap substance, and in attachment below there is an article covering everything i was asking about.

thank you all for replies!
dmssrinivas: do you have some more information on this Na3AlF6? i don't mean wikipedia, something like the article i attached would be most welcome :)

Attachments

• Thermal behavior of aluminum fluoride trihydrate.pdf
    193.5 KB · Views: 931
dmssrinivas said:

WHAT ABOUT DIAMONDS?!

(I'm kidding.)

dmssrinivas said:

Cryolite and AlF3 are two different substances.

Borek said:
Cryolite and AlF3 are two different substances.

I thought Cryolite is 3(NaF).AlF3 and separation is easy. Sorry If I am wrong.

1. What is aluminium tetrafluoride?

Aluminium tetrafluoride (AlF4) is an inorganic compound composed of one aluminium atom and four fluorine atoms. It is a white crystalline solid and is commonly used in the production of aluminium metal.

2. How is aluminium tetrafluoride made?

Aluminium tetrafluoride is typically made by reacting aluminium oxide (Al2O3) with hydrogen fluoride gas (HF) at high temperatures. The reaction produces AlF3 and HF, which then react to form AlF4.

3. What are the uses of aluminium tetrafluoride?

Aluminium tetrafluoride is primarily used as a flux in the production of aluminium metal. It is also used in the production of ceramics, glass, and enamel. It is also a common ingredient in toothpaste and other dental products.

4. Is aluminium tetrafluoride toxic?

Aluminium tetrafluoride is considered toxic if ingested or inhaled in large amounts. It can also cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. However, it is generally considered safe in small amounts and is not a significant environmental hazard.

5. How is aluminium tetrafluoride stored?

Aluminium tetrafluoride should be stored in a cool, dry place away from any sources of moisture. It should also be kept in a tightly sealed container to prevent contact with air or water. It is important to follow proper safety precautions when handling and storing this chemical.