The Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses an interesting experiment to verify the Stefan-Boltzmann law using an incandescent lamp and a new device called the SB Demon that can be used for data acquisition and analysis. The device is seen as a useful addition to traditional techniques and can inspire students and teachers to think creatively in their approach to physics. The conversation also touches upon the environmental impact of using incandescent lamps and the importance of considering sustainability in scientific practices.
sea_dreamer
Hello Physics Forum! There's an interesting experiment to verify the Stefan-Boltzmann law using an incandescent lamp. Which treats the filament as an approximate blackbody, approximates that the input power fully goes to the radiating channel (i.e. no conduction or gas loss), measures the filament temperature (comparing the filament resistance to a reference resistance at some known temperature) at various power level, and finally plots the curve. A log-log plot of P and T yields the slope to be ≈4. That is all the experiment is. Like I did in my undergraduate course.

This is a really interesting experiment to me. I did some further "research" and came up with a device, which I named Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device (SB Demon in short!). It uses a PIC microcontroller. This also has an USB HID interface (with a host software) to connect the real world (of lamps and filaments) to the world of PC. The host software has some more data acquisition options and an option to export the data to a Wolfram Mathematica notebook file. And then one can perform various analyses (like plot, linear and non linear regression etc.) to the data in mathematica to analyse a filament lamp properties.

Technically, my device is nothing new, it is simply a special purpose data logger. It's just an addition to the traditional technique. It might help students (like me) to go beyond school/college labs. And for (traditional) physics teachers, it might inspire them to ask the students for innovative techniques as an addition to the general course works.

So, visit http://sbdemon.wordpress.com/" for more about it. Eagerly waiting for your comments/suggestion/remarks etc.

I know those incandescent lamps are quite obsolete now for illuminating (and it should be to save our garden, the Earth), but I think it's a really nice and simple (and "innocent" too:smile:) thing to venture into some interesting physical phenomena. Is not it?

Attachments

• dscn9735.jpg
    dscn9735.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 529
  • interfacefocused.jpg
    interfacefocused.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 494
  • mat4.jpg
    mat4.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 487
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your interesting experiment and device with us. It's always exciting to see new and innovative ways to demonstrate and verify scientific laws and principles. Your SB Demon seems like a great addition to the traditional techniques for verifying the Stefan-Boltzmann law. I can see how it can be a useful tool for students to further explore and analyze the properties of filament lamps.

I also appreciate your consideration for the environmental impact of using incandescent lamps and your suggestion to use this experiment as a way to educate and promote more sustainable practices. As scientists, it's important for us to not only understand and study the natural world, but also to consider our impact on it and find ways to mitigate any negative effects.

I hope your device and experiment will inspire other students and teachers to think outside the box and come up with their own innovative techniques for studying physics. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing your ideas with the community.

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device is a scientific instrument used to demonstrate the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, which describes the relationship between the temperature and the radiation emitted by an object. It is used to show how the intensity of thermal radiation increases with temperature.

2. How does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device work?

The device consists of a blackened metal plate, a temperature sensor, and a power source. The plate is heated by the power source and the temperature sensor measures the temperature of the plate. The device then calculates the intensity of thermal radiation emitted by the plate using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law equation.

3. What is the significance of the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand the behavior of thermal radiation. It is used in many fields, such as astrophysics, engineering, and climate science, to calculate the amount of radiation emitted by objects at different temperatures.

4. How accurate is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device?

The accuracy of the device depends on the temperature sensor and the power source used. Generally, the device can provide accurate readings within a few percentage points. However, its accuracy may be affected by factors such as ambient temperature and the material of the plate.

5. What are the practical applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Demonstrator Device?

The device has many practical applications, such as in thermal imaging, temperature measurement, and energy efficiency testing. It is also used in research and education to demonstrate the principles of thermal radiation and the Stefan-Boltzmann Law.