Homemade Dynomometer for 1HP Engine

In summary, the conversation discusses the building of a dynomometer for a 1hp engine using an alternator or DC generator as a brake. The goal is to vary the load on the alternator or generator to measure torque and calculate power. One participant suggests using 100 ten watt light bulbs wired in parallel to the supply to apply different loads. The other participant confirms that this method is possible and suggests measuring current and voltage to calculate power. They also discuss the best type of generator for this task.
tomgwill98
Hi guys.

I'm building a dynomometer for a 1hp engine. I plan to use something like an alternator or a dc generator to do the braking. I will mount the alternator or generator so it is free to rotate around the shaft and measure the force at a distance to get the torque.

The idea is to vary the load on the alternator or generator to increase the amount of torque needed to turn it (therefore RPM will decrease), then use a data logger to plot torque vs RPM and thus calculate power.

My electrical knowledge is limited. Is it possible to configure an alternator or generator (capable of the same/more power of the tested engine) to work in this way? i.e. increasing the load on the alternator/generator to increase the torque required to turn it? If so, how exactly would it be wired?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Get 100 ten watt light bulbs. Wire these in parallel to your supply. Switch them on individually. Then, you can apply whatever load you wish! It's a simplistic view but you get the idea, hopefully.

You can actually calculate your power by measuring the current going through this circuit, and the voltage at your supply. If you can estimate (or calculate) your alternator efficiency, you know the power your engine is providing.

Cheers for the reply, brewnog.

That's good to know it's possible. So the load is wired in parallel to the supply and cranking up the load makes it harder to turn... What would I wire to the armature? (if anything)

What sort of generator would be best to use for this? I have at the moment an alternator off a ford sierra but may think about buying a DC generator if its better as I can get a through shaft one and measure the torque like I was saying. (or maybe measure current and work out power this way like you mentioned)

1. What is a homemade dynamometer and how does it work?

A homemade dynamometer is a device used to measure the power output of an engine. It works by applying a load to the engine and measuring the resulting force and speed. This data is then used to calculate the engine's horsepower.

2. Why would someone want to build their own dynamometer?

Building a homemade dynamometer allows for a cost-effective way to measure the power of an engine without having to purchase a commercial dynamometer. It also allows for customization and flexibility in the design and setup.

3. What materials are needed to build a homemade dynamometer?

The materials needed will vary depending on the design, but some common components include a load cell, load cell amplifier, speed sensor, data acquisition system, and a sturdy frame to support the engine and load.

4. Can a homemade dynamometer accurately measure the power of an engine?

Yes, a well-designed and calibrated homemade dynamometer can provide accurate measurements of an engine's power output. However, it is important to carefully follow the design and calibration instructions to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any safety considerations when using a homemade dynamometer?

Yes, it is important to take proper safety precautions when using a homemade dynamometer. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring the engine is properly secured to the dynamometer, and following all safety guidelines for working with machinery and electrical equipment.