Nyquist bandwidth criterion

• Thread starter erece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bandwidth
In summary, according to the Nyquist bandwidth constraint, the minimum channel bandwidth for transmission without ISI should be R/2 symbols/sec, where R symbols/sec is the transmission rate. If the channel cannot support the full transmission rate, then it is still used. ISI stands for intersymbol interference and refers to the loss of information when transferring a signal with frequencies above R/2. To avoid this, a low-pass filter is used to filter out these frequencies before transmission. The required bandwidth for ideal Nyquist pulses is Rs/2 to support an Rs symbol rate.
erece
According to Nyquist bandwidth constraint for transmission without ISI , the minimum channel bandwidth should be R/2 symbols /sec, where R symbols /sec is the transmisson rate.
If this is correct then i want to know that if this channel cannot support full transmission rate then do we use this model ??

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is ISI?

Nyquist says that if you have a discrete signal that should transfer all relevant frequencies, you should use a sample frequency that is at least double the max relevant frequency.

ISI is INTERSYMBOL INTERFERENCE

Ah, okay. I was not aware of that.
My remark remains the same though.
If you have a transfer rate (as a frequency) of R, you can only transfer frequencies up to R/2 without loss of information.
Or am I misunderstanding your question?

ok
and what can be the bandwidth of the channel in terms of R to support the transmission ?

R/2 as Nyquist states.

okay ..
So we are sampling a signal whose frequency is R at a frequency of R/2 and which should be the minimum bandwidth of channel...
AM I RIGHT ?

Is this statement true ?
For ideal Nyquist pulses (sinc), the required bandwidth is only Rs/2 to support an Rs symbol rate

I'm not sure what you're asking, so I'll just state what I know.

When you want to transmit a signal using a bandwidth signal at some frequency R, what you do is, you put your signal through a low-pass filter, filtering out all frequencies above R/2.
And then you transmit the signal.
Otherwise you lose information.

okay

1. What is the Nyquist bandwidth criterion?

The Nyquist bandwidth criterion is a principle used in signal processing to determine the minimum sampling rate required to accurately capture a signal without losing information. It states that the sampling frequency must be at least twice the highest frequency component of the signal.

2. How is the Nyquist bandwidth criterion used in practical applications?

The Nyquist bandwidth criterion is used to determine the necessary specifications for analog-to-digital converters, audio and video recording devices, and other digital signal processing systems. It ensures that the signal is sampled at a rate high enough to accurately represent the original analog signal.

3. What happens if the Nyquist bandwidth criterion is not met?

If the Nyquist bandwidth criterion is not met, aliasing can occur. This means that the higher frequency components of the signal will be misrepresented as lower frequency components, resulting in a distorted and inaccurate representation of the original signal.

4. Can the Nyquist bandwidth criterion be applied to all types of signals?

Yes, the Nyquist bandwidth criterion can be applied to all types of signals, including both analog and digital signals. It is a fundamental principle in signal processing and is used in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, and medical imaging.

5. Is the Nyquist bandwidth criterion an absolute rule?

While the Nyquist bandwidth criterion is a widely accepted principle, it is not an absolute rule and may not always hold true in certain situations. In some cases, a higher sampling rate may be necessary to accurately capture a signal, especially if it contains a large number of high frequency components.