Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field?

In summary: Do you have any recommendations on what branch of representation theory would be a good next step?Many Thanks!
Fangyang Tian
Where could I know something about the active mathematician of a certain field??

Dear Folks:
Half year later, it will be the application season. I intend to choose representation theory for my major. Where can I find some information about the active mathematicians in this field?? Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

One way to learn names of some very top people is to look at those who spoke or presented at the international congress recently. You could also look on the web sites of schools that interest you and see what specialties the faculty have, and read their vitae for recent activity.

Here is a website with the names of the editorial board of the journal Representation Theory, from the AMS.

http://www.ams.org/publications/journals/journalsframework/erteditAs I expected, David Vogan's name is there. You could even email some of these people and ask for recommendations of schools, including a little about yourself. You could also ask people near you, at your school for example.

Last edited:

What kind of representation theory are you interested in?

morphism said:
What kind of representation theory are you interested in?

I'm a bit ashamed to say I've just learned a little about representation theory. I've only read part of the books on representation theory of lie algebras of finite dimentions - Lie groups beyond an introduction by Knapp. There is so much left to learn and a long way to go. I plan to read more on representation theory in my last year at college, something like Representation of semisimple groups by Knapp. I've already known that represetation theory is related with many other branches, so before I study them rigorously, I have to read something else like algebraic topology and modular forms.

Fangyang Tian said:
I'm a bit ashamed to say I've just learned a little about representation theory. I've only read part of the books on representation theory of lie algebras of finite dimentions - Lie groups beyond an introduction by Knapp. There is so much left to learn and a long way to go. I plan to read more on representation theory in my last year at college, something like Representation of semisimple groups by Knapp. I've already known that represetation theory is related with many other branches, so before I study them rigorously, I have to read something else like algebraic topology and modular forms.
There's no reason to be ashamed. I only wanted to know what flavor of the subject you enjoy before suggesting people/schools.

Perhaps you can read up on the different types of representation theory and then let me know which ones strike your fancy. If you're not sure where to begin, I can make some suggestions.

morphism said:
There's no reason to be ashamed. I only wanted to know what flavor of the subject you enjoy before suggesting people/schools.

Perhaps you can read up on the different types of representation theory and then let me know which ones strike your fancy. If you're not sure where to begin, I can make some suggestions.

Many Thanks! You are right about my confusion on what to learn next after I've learned representation theory on lie algebras of finite dimensions. I know there is a branch of representation theory which relates to number theory - representation theory of p-adic group, but I want to learn something sharing more connection with topology.

What are some reliable sources to learn about active mathematicians in a specific field?

Some reliable sources to learn about active mathematicians include academic journals, professional organizations, university websites, and online databases such as MathSciNet and zbMATH. These sources provide up-to-date information on the research and publications of active mathematicians in various fields.

How can I find information on the current research interests of a mathematician in a particular field?

One way to find information on the current research interests of a mathematician is to search for their publications in relevant journals or databases. You can also visit the mathematician's personal website or university profile, which often include information on their research areas and current projects. Additionally, attending conferences and seminars in your field of interest can also help you learn about the research activities of active mathematicians.

Is there a way to connect with active mathematicians in a certain field for collaboration or mentorship?

Yes, there are several ways to connect with active mathematicians in a certain field. You can reach out to them through professional networking sites such as LinkedIn, attend conferences and seminars, or join relevant professional organizations. You can also email them directly through their university or personal website to express your interest in collaboration or mentorship.

How can I stay updated on the latest developments and achievements of active mathematicians in my field of interest?

To stay updated on the latest developments and achievements of active mathematicians, you can subscribe to relevant journals or newsletters, follow them on social media, or join professional organizations. Additionally, attending conferences and seminars and networking with other mathematicians in your field can also help you stay informed about the latest advancements.

Are there any online resources or databases specifically for learning about active mathematicians and their contributions?

Yes, there are several online resources and databases specifically for learning about active mathematicians and their contributions. Some examples include the American Mathematical Society's Mathematical Reviews and MathSciNet, the European Mathematical Society's zbMATH, and the International Mathematical Union's World Directory of Mathematicians. These databases provide comprehensive information on active mathematicians, their publications, and their contributions to the field.