Looking for Heat Insulation Materials

In summary, the person is looking for an inexpensive way to protect their electronics from excessive heat. They suggest covering the electronics with bubble wrap and aluminum foil, or using foamboard and sand.
bagel_68
Hi

I am looking for some thin and light heat insulation materials probably in a flat plate form.

We intend to install this kind of heat insulation plate underground for separating different utilities.

Any suggestion ?

Thanks alot.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Almost nothing insulates like..well nothing (Vacuum), so if you had some anodized
metal plates, with a vacuum between, you would be constructing a vacuum bottle.
Another option would be the Shuttle tile material.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/shutref/orbiter/tps/hrcitiles.html
I used a piece for a CO2 laser stop, it insulates VERY well.

Interesting johnbbahm, but I'm not sure I can source the material, or construct it.

I'm looking for a solution to a 'heat insulation' problem too.

I've got an electronic gadget/device that sits on a non-slip rubber mat on top of my car's dashboard, just in-front of the windshield, in the center.

It's similar to a radar detector, but is actually a small little camera which video records each car journey I take in 15 minute video segments. (cost about $50). It turns on and begins recording when the car engine is turned on, and turns off with key also. (I successfully wired it with a 2amp inline fuse to ignition live in the car).

It's just there in case I'm ever involved in a crash, for evidence purposes. (I try to be a careful driver).

Problem is that car can get very hot, and we don't always have the option of parking in shade.

Last week I discovered the 8 gig SD memory card inside the device was no longer working. I think it got fried in some very hot weather recently, when the car was like an oven. The SD card no longer recognised by the device or any separate mini-drive. The device itself still works as I've tried it with an old small 256mb SD card.

I've now got a new 8 gig SD card, but don't want it to go the same way as the last one, or for the device itself to be the next thing to fry in the heat.

Can anyone suggest ways I could protect the camera against excessive heat when it's on the dashboard on a hot day.

My first thought was to build a little case enclosure made of copper sheet, but then I thought that might make things worse by acting like an oven? Or to cover it with some sort of tape.. perhaps self-amalgamating tape.

I'm not after total cooling, but just to limit the chances of excessive heat from destroying the SD card or the camera, when it's on the dashboard on a hot day. (I don't always drive the car myself, and can't rely on my sister unplugging it each time.) Thanks.

concrete can be pretty good, if the right type is used.

I live in maine.

Had to dig up the well supply line one year, and didn't have time to finish the job before winter
we get minus 20'F from Christmas to mid January even February.

I took a 1" piece of pink foamboard (R-7) and laid it on top of the water line
covered with one foot of sand, when it snowed I added snow on top (snow actually insulates) the well line never froze.
essentially it traps the 55'F heat of the ground underneath and insulates from the cold above. the sand also acts as insulation...

cheap and EZ...

For the fellow with the dash cam, try making a hood out of that bubble wrap material with the
aluminum foil on both sides, some brands are called reflec-tex
(line that with pink foam board too LOL -the foam board loses R-value with exposeur to UV light so bear that in mind)

1. What are the different types of heat insulation materials available?

There are several types of heat insulation materials, including fiberglass, mineral wool, cellulose, foam, and reflective materials. Each type has its own unique properties and uses, so it's important to choose the right one for your specific needs.

2. How do I know which heat insulation material is the most effective?

The effectiveness of a heat insulation material is measured by its R-value, which indicates its ability to resist heat flow. The higher the R-value, the more effective the material is at insulating. It's important to consider the R-value when choosing a heat insulation material for your project.

3. Can heat insulation materials be used for both hot and cold temperatures?

Yes, many heat insulation materials are designed to work in both hot and cold temperatures. However, some materials may be better suited for extreme temperatures, so it's important to choose the right material for the specific temperature conditions you are trying to insulate against.

4. Are there any eco-friendly options for heat insulation materials?

Yes, there are several eco-friendly heat insulation materials available, such as recycled cellulose, soy-based spray foam, and sheep's wool. These materials are sustainable and have a low impact on the environment.

5. How do I install heat insulation materials?

The installation process for heat insulation materials varies depending on the type of material you are using. However, in general, it involves measuring and cutting the material to fit the space, and then using adhesive or fasteners to secure it in place. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the specific material you are using.