How to calculate HP pump water output flow

In summary, the speaker is new and needs to buy a high pressure pump. They have been asked questions by the supplier and have received answers for all except question 6, which asks for the water output flow. The speaker is looking for help in calculating this value.
Dainius
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, sorry if it's off topic.
I need to buy high pressure pump and was asked by supplier these questions. I'm a sales person and physics is not my very strong side :(
I've got some answers on it (posted below questions). How can I calculate question 6? If it's anyhow possible.

1) is the application on a spray bar?
Yes. There will be 8 nozzles with ∅ 1 mm, spraying angle 25°
2) please let me have data sheet of the "saturated salt solution"
3) oil inlet pressure?
~180 bar
4) oil inlet flow?
~50 l/min
5) water output pressure?
~4-6 bar per nozzle (I believe it's what we need)
6) water output flow?

Thanks in advance for answers.

Dainius

Engineering news on Phys.org
To calculate the water output flow, you can use the following formula: Flow (l/min) = Pressure (bar) x Area of Nozzle (mm2) x 0.5 x 10-3. For example, if the water output pressure is 4 bar and the nozzle area is 1 mm2, then the water output flow would be calculated as follows: Flow (l/min) = 4 x 1 x 0.5 x 10-3 = 0.002 l/min. You can calculate the water output flow for each nozzle using this formula.

1. How do I calculate the output flow of a HP pump for water?

To calculate the output flow of a HP pump for water, you will need to know the pump's horsepower (HP) and the total dynamic head (TDH) of the system. The formula for calculating output flow is: Output Flow (GPM) = (HP x 3960) / TDH. This will give you the flow rate in gallons per minute.

2. Can I use the same formula for calculating output flow for all HP pumps?

Yes, the formula for calculating output flow is the same for all HP pumps. However, the values for HP and TDH will vary depending on the specific pump and system. Make sure to use the correct values for accurate calculations.

3. How can I determine the TDH for my HP pump system?

The TDH can be determined by adding together the vertical distance (in feet) between the water source and the pump, the pipe friction loss (in feet), and any additional losses such as fittings or valves. This total is the TDH for your system.

4. Is there a maximum output flow that a HP pump can produce?

Yes, there is a maximum output flow for every HP pump. This maximum flow rate is determined by the pump's design and cannot be exceeded without causing damage to the pump. It is important to consult the pump's specifications to ensure that the desired flow rate is within the pump's capabilities.

5. Can I increase the output flow of my HP pump?

In most cases, it is not possible to increase the output flow of a HP pump beyond its maximum capacity. However, you can increase the flow by adding another pump in parallel or by using a larger pump with a higher HP rating. It is important to consider the system's TDH and other factors before attempting to increase the flow rate.