Ellipsometry goniometer orientation

• Thread starter everetthitch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orientation
In summary: The runout tolerance for the sample holder plate is not really relevant; it's more important that the gearbox output axis is accurately aligned with the sample holder rotation axis. backlash in the system can be tolerated as long as the system is properly balanced. For the centration of the sample holder, you can use a precision bore to match the bore of the gearbox output shaft.
everetthitch
Hi Folks,

I'm building an ellipsometer-like system similar to the one shown in attached picture, but with much longer and thinner rotation bars carrying viewing optics assembly (VOA) and incident optics assembly (IOA), respectively; the system would require that the sample holder plane can rotate independently from the common rotation axis of the VOA and the IOA bars; in other words, the system is like a clock with 3 hands/bars that can rotate independently. For now I can fix the IOA bar to a certain position to simplify the design, so the problem is how to align the rotation axis of the sample holder and the VOA.

I can't afford those expensive motorized multi-axis rotation stages from Aerotech or Huber; I plan to use a servo motor to drive a gear box; the output axis of the gear box to drive the VOA bar. So my question is: how to align the sample holder plane rotation axis so it coincides with the VOA bar rotation axis, but the two can rotate independently?

Thanks very much for reading and any suggestions!

zh

Attachments

• labTour_ellipsometer.jpg
    labTour_ellipsometer.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 457
Engineering news on Phys.org
Disclaimer: I design optical metrology instruments like this for a living, so I'm familiar with their design processes.

Do you have any experience in designing a system like this? It's pretty complex, and I get the feeling you don't quite understand what you're in for... You need to nail down things like your accuracy and precision requirements, required degrees of freedom, system alignment plan, etc. etc. Getting axes to move independently is easy; you just need a separate actuator for each one!

When you say "longer and thinner rotation bars" do you understand the tradeoffs w.r.t stiffness and length/section? To maintain stiffness and a high natural frequency, you'll actually want thicker if you go longer. The system in the picture (a Woollam M2000 Ellipsometer) is a high-end piece of instrumentation and it shows in it's specifications; weight-optimized athermallized structures, high-end motion axes, etc. Are you basically wanting to duplicate these capabilities?

Regarding your motor drives, you'll also need to look at your adjustment requirements there as well, especially if you're talking about trying to achieve high resolution with sub-par components. Odds are you can't just use the output drive of a gearbox as a rotation stage; you need mechanical support! What samples are you measuring? How precisely do they have to be held? What kind of hysteresis can you tolerate in the rotation axis, let alone backlash? How will you achieve linear positioning without using "expensive Aerotech stages"?

There's a lot to think about, that's for sure.

Mech_Engineer,

Thank for your reply. I do have experience with similar systems and detailed specs for accuracy, torque, moment of inertia and deg of freedom etc., just wanted to give a very brief description without flooding lots specs.

What I am trying to do is a much more simplified version of the device in your link. In my original post picture, I can fix the IOA bar at a certain angular position and only rotate the VOA bar using a servo/gearbox (of course I considered system support a must); the angular accuracy is not so critical, 0.5 deg would suffice. My question is, how to make the sample holder rotation axis coincide with the VOA bar rotation axis?

I attach a picture of a system I used before: a cylindrical pivot (not visible in picture) is attached to the base plate and both the VOA bar and the sample holder support plate can rotate freely and independently around this pivot cylinder. This is a totally manual system. What I'm trying to build is using a motor to drive the VOA bar yet leave the sample holder plate independent. The reason I want the sample holder plate to rotate around the same axis as the VOA bar is for system alignment: by using a reflector I can easily check if the incident light can precisely enter the viewing optics aperture.

Linear positioning is not necessary in the picture attached here, it is guaranteed as the VOA bar is co-axial with the sample holder plate. However now I'm using a gearbox axis to drive the VOA bar, I must use some linear/rotation stage to position the sample holder plate. How to make sure the sample plate rotation axis co-axial with the gearbox output axis?

Thanks!

Attachments

• support.jpg
    support.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 411
What is the runout tolerance for the sample holder plate w.r.t. the gearbox? You say you can tolerate an angular accuracy of +/-0.5 deg for the IOA, so how much does the centration of of the sample holder matter? I'm guessing you can probably just bolt to the output shaft with a precision bore.

1. What is an ellipsometry goniometer orientation?

An ellipsometry goniometer orientation is a scientific instrument that is used to measure the orientation and optical properties of solid surfaces. It works by measuring the change in polarization of light as it reflects off of a surface, providing information about the surface's composition, thickness, and other characteristics.

2. How does an ellipsometry goniometer orientation work?

The goniometer has a light source that emits polarized light, which is directed onto the surface being studied. The reflected light is then analyzed by a detector, which measures the changes in polarization. This data is then used to calculate the properties of the surface.

3. What are the applications of ellipsometry goniometer orientation?

Ellipsometry goniometer orientation is commonly used in materials science, chemistry, and physics to study the properties of solid surfaces, thin films, and coatings. It is also used in the semiconductor industry for quality control and research and development purposes.

4. How accurate is an ellipsometry goniometer orientation?

The accuracy of an ellipsometry goniometer orientation depends on various factors such as the quality of the instrument, the cleanliness of the sample, and the expertise of the operator. Generally, it can provide highly accurate measurements with a precision of a few nanometers.

5. Is an ellipsometry goniometer orientation easy to use?

While it may require some training and expertise to operate, ellipsometry goniometer orientation is relatively easy to use. The instrument is designed to be user-friendly, and the data analysis can be done with specialized software. However, proper sample preparation and handling are crucial for obtaining accurate results.