Simplex Atomizer flow rate question

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between flow rate and velocity of fuel through a simplex nozzle. The fuel type is Kerosene and the flow rate is controlled by adjusting the velocity of fuel in the pipe before the nozzle. The pressure in the pipe remains constant while the velocity changes. The flow rate through the atomizer is said to be a function of the square root of the pressure difference between the atomizer and chamber, but it is unclear whether it is the function of static pressure or total pressure. The question is whether increasing the velocity while keeping the pressure constant will also increase the flow rate through the atomizer.
sgvaibhav
I am trying to analyse the relationship of flow rate rate through a simplex nozzle.

Here is the situations.

Fuel = Kerosene

I have a simplex nozzle for injection.
And there is a fuel pipe before the nozzle [obviously :P]

The flow rate in the pipe is controlled by varying the velocity of fuel in the pipes just before the nozzle. [its is already decided on how flow rate will be varied by increasing/decreasing velocity]. The pressure is always constant in the pipe, only the velocity of fuel flow varies to change fuel flow rate.

Ok so i read that flow rate through the atomizer is function of square root of pressure difference between the atomizer and chamber. [correct me if this is wrong]

1) But is it function of static pressure or total pressure?
2) So increasing flow rate by increasing velocity WHILST keeping pressure constant increase the flow rate in the atomizer?If there's something unclear, i will try explaining with more details.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Umm guys, sorry for bump, but is it the wrong section? (should i post somewhere else?)

I just basically wanted to know if changing the velocity while having constant pressure affect the flow rate through an atomizer/simplex orifice? (or it totally depends on the static pressure?)

1. What is a Simplex Atomizer?

A Simplex Atomizer is a type of spray nozzle that is commonly used in industrial processes such as coating, painting, and cooling. It is designed to atomize a liquid into small droplets for more efficient and controlled application.

2. How does a Simplex Atomizer control flow rate?

The flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer is controlled by adjusting the pressure and flow rate of the liquid being sprayed. The nozzle design and size also play a role in determining the flow rate.

3. What factors can affect the flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer?

The flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer can be affected by various factors such as the type and viscosity of the liquid being sprayed, the pressure and flow rate of the liquid, the size and design of the nozzle, and any obstructions or blockages in the nozzle.

4. Can the flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer be adjusted during operation?

Yes, the flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer can be adjusted during operation by changing the pressure and flow rate of the liquid, as well as by changing the nozzle size or design. Some advanced atomizers also have electronic controls for more precise flow rate adjustments.

5. How can I calculate the flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer?

The flow rate of a Simplex Atomizer can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the nozzle with the velocity of the liquid. However, the actual flow rate may vary depending on the factors mentioned above and may require experimentation or specialized equipment for accurate measurement.