Build a Reusable Stripboard for Easy Circuit Tweaking

• Thread starter RhysGM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homemade
In summary: Bread boards are still around but the days of using them for anything other than prototyping are long gone. Bread boards are still around but the days of using them for anything other than prototyping are long gone.
RhysGM
Hello, after failing on a few circuits I thought I need to be able to swap and change my components a little more easily then soldering all the time. So I've built a reusable solderless stripboard, that I can swap and change my components around.

I had a bunch of 18pin DIL sockets that I got for free so I chopped them up, super glued them together and then soldered them (a little bit messy, but they work). Now I can play with my circuits until they work then transfer them to a real stripboard once I've perfected the circuit.

Anyway just thought I would share that with you.

:)

Attachments

• DIL sockets cut in half.jpg
    DIL sockets cut in half.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 517
  • Pins soldered together.jpg
    Pins soldered together.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 501
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 479
Engineering news on Phys.org
hi and welcome to PF

you do know you can buy solderless breadboards don't you ? :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=53381&stc=1&d=1353981594.jpg

no point reinventing the wheel ;) but a great attempt

Dave

Attachments

• breadboards.jpg
    breadboards.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 704
A breadboard is something I keep in my kitchen :smile:

And mine only cost £1 plus I didn't have to wait for delivery. :cool:

RhysGM said:
A breadboard is something I keep in my kitchen :smile:

well there you go, therein lies the problem ... see you need to broaden you view from outta the kitchen ;)

seriously tho, those ones like I showed are very good, various sizes and some are able to clip together to make much larger arrangements. no electronics shack, hobbiest or professional should be without one or two

Dave

Just been checking them out on Maplin.co.uk, they look quite good but prices are from £1.99 to £19.99. Can you recommend a good one, how well do the components hold in, they're a little loose on my version. I was thinking I could make a big board with lots of fixed springs to hold them in place.

I think the term 'bread board' came from the use of an actual bread board with copper nails driven into it as soldering points - way back. Those guys were REAL enthusiasts! Solder flux came only in tins; none of your reels of ready fluxed solder.

1. What is a stripboard?

A stripboard, also known as a prototyping board, is a type of circuit board used for building electronic circuits. It consists of a grid of holes connected by strips of conductive material, allowing components to be easily soldered together.

2. Why is it important to build a reusable stripboard?

A reusable stripboard allows for easy circuit tweaking and modifications without the need to start from scratch. This saves time and resources in the long run, making it a more efficient and cost-effective option for prototyping and testing circuits.

3. What materials are needed to build a reusable stripboard?

To build a reusable stripboard, you will need a stripboard, soldering iron, solder, wire cutters, and various electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and ICs. You may also need a circuit diagram or schematic to guide you in placing the components on the stripboard.

4. How do you create a circuit on a reusable stripboard?

To create a circuit on a reusable stripboard, you will need to first plan and design the circuit on paper or using a computer-aided design (CAD) tool. Then, place the components on the stripboard according to the circuit diagram, and solder them in place. Finally, test the circuit and make any necessary modifications or adjustments.

5. Can a reusable stripboard be used for complex circuits?

Yes, a reusable stripboard can be used for both simple and complex circuits. However, for more complex circuits, it may be necessary to use multiple stripboards or switch to a more advanced circuit board, such as a printed circuit board (PCB).