Why does a strong wind feel colder than a gentle breeze?

In summary: This is correct, however note that a thermometer that starts...In summary, a wind feels colder than still air because it removes heat more quickly. Evaporative cooling is a separate effect.
AJBMuir
This may be a ridiculous question, or we may be overlooking what is a simple answer but a friend and I can't come to a reasonable conclusion.

Why does a strong wind feel colder then a gentle breeze?

We have thought about the fact that this may not be the case at all and that the temperature of the "wind" is independent of speed. Although, in my experience, strong winds are perceived as being colder then no wind.

I live in a fairly mild climate (average temperature of around 13 Celsius), and have thought that possibly hot climates, where air temperature exceeds that of our skin temperature, that an increase in wind speed may cause it to be perceived as hotter?

If anybody can offer an explanation, or confute everything I have said, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Science news on Phys.org
Having just submit this question, I have come to realize that the air will be conducting heat from my body. Hence, strong winds would not allow the air immediately next to my skin to rise in temperature a meaningful amount.

Thoughts on this?

AJBMuir said:
Having just submit this question, I have come to realize that the air will be conducting heat from my body. Hence, strong winds would not allow the air immediately next to my skin to rise in temperature a meaningful amount.

Thoughts on this?

Yea, I think that is right. Maybe more importantly than the temperature surrounding your skin is the humidity surrounding your skin. Water evaporates off of your skin, cooling it and raising the humidity of the air near by. With higher humidity evaporation is harder. A wind blows that humidity away and evaporation can proceed easily again.

It's essentially the same idea as evaporative cooling - the moving air absorbs some small amount of heat from your skin, but before everything has time to equilibrate the air molecules "blow" away, and whatever small gain in energy they received is lost by your skin.

This had been bugging us for a while. Don't know why we couldn't think of this ourselves.

Thanks for the help.

ModusPwnd said:
Yea, I think that is right. Maybe more importantly than the temperature surrounding your skin is the humidity surrounding your skin. Water evaporates off of your skin, cooling it and raising the humidity of the air near by. With higher humidity evaporation is harder. A wind blows that humidity away and evaporation can proceed easily again.

That's a good point too. Come to think of it at higher temperatures that's probably the dominant effect.

Note that temperature of the wind is independent of speed. Temperature is a function of the internal movement of air molecules, not the external speed of a pocket of air. A thermometer which does not have a metabolism or water to evaporate will read the same temperate for still air as it will for moving air. (a further caveat would be that the friction and compression created by a thermometer in a very intense airstream could heat up the thermometer)

The reason why wind feels cold even though the actual air temperature is the same is because of convective heat transfer. The moving air transfers heat away from your body faster than stagnate air, so it feels colder. Similar to the reasoning why a metal pole feels colder to the touch than a wooden pole, even though they are the same temperature.

QuantumPion said:
The reason why wind feels cold even though the actual air temperature is the same is because of convective heat transfer. The moving air transfers heat away from your body faster than stagnate air, so it feels colder. Similar to the reasoning why a metal pole feels colder to the touch than a wooden pole, even though they are the same temperature.

That doesn't explain why. All you've said is "cold wind feels cold because it removes heat". The actual explanation is partly what I wrote and mostly what Modus wrote I believe.

dipole said:
That doesn't explain why. All you've said is "cold wind feels cold because it removes heat". The actual explanation is partly what I wrote and mostly what Modus wrote I believe.

That is not what I said. What I said was moving air feels colder than still air because it removes heat more quickly. Evaporative cooling is a separate effect. If you wore a thin wetsuit which was not a good thermal insulator but blocked all moisture, you would still feel colder in wind than in still air.

ModusPwnd said:
Note that temperature of the wind is independent of speed. Temperature is a function of the internal movement of air molecules, not the external speed of a pocket of air. A thermometer which does not have a metabolism or water to evaporate will read the same temperate for still air as it will for moving air.

This is correct, however note that a thermometer that starts at indoor room temperature and brought outside will reach equilibrium with outside environmental temperature faster if it is exposed to wind than if it was exposed to still air.

What we perceive as temperature is the rate of heat transfer, not absolute temperature.

What is wind temperature?

The temperature of wind refers to the measurement of the average kinetic energy of the air molecules that make up the wind.

What factors affect the temperature of wind?

The temperature of wind is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the air it is moving through, the source of the wind (such as a warm or cold front), and the speed and direction of the wind.

How is the temperature of wind measured?

The temperature of wind is most commonly measured using a thermometer, which is exposed to the moving air to record the temperature. Other methods, such as using a weather balloon or satellite data, can also be used.

Why does wind feel colder than the actual temperature?

Wind can make us feel colder than the actual temperature because it increases the rate of heat transfer from our bodies to the surrounding air. This creates a cooling effect, making the air feel colder than it actually is.

Can wind temperature affect weather patterns?

Yes, the temperature of wind can affect weather patterns, as wind plays a crucial role in distributing heat and moisture across the Earth's surface. Changes in wind temperature can lead to changes in air pressure and precipitation, which can impact weather patterns.