Ontario Engineering Programs With Best Coop Programs

In summary, for a Toronto high school student interested in engineering, work experience and coop programs are important factors. The University of Toronto offers a Professional Experience Year (PEY) program for all engineering departments, including mechanical engineering, which is typically completed after the 2nd or 3rd year of studies. This program requires students to work for a company or organization for 12-16 months and submit a report of their experiences. Other universities in Ontario with good coop programs for mechanical engineering include Waterloo and Toronto's EngSci program.
thefreewheelin
Hey everyone,
I'm currently a Toronto high school student who is interested in applying to engineering programs very shortly. I have done some research, and from what I gather, work experience and coop programs seem to be the most important aspects for a prospective engineer. So, what I am interested in, is finding out which Ontario universities offer the best coop programs. I know Waterloo is a no-brainer, and while I am fairly certain my grades can get me admitted into their civil engineering program, I do not think they will be high enough for mechanical engineering, which is the discipline I find most enticing.

So, other than Waterloo, which universities in Ontario offer good coop programs, specifically for mechanical engineering?

Physics news on Phys.org
Toronto's EngSci program seems to have a pretty good reputation.

eddotman said:
Toronto's EngSci program seems to have a pretty good reputation.

The University of Toronto (my alma mater) engineering program doesn't strictly have a co-op program like that of Waterloo. Instead, there is what is called the Professional Experience Year (PEY), which is offered to students in all departments in engineering and in select programs in other faculties (not just the EngSci program), typically after the 2nd or 3rd year of your studies. During the PEY year, you work for a given company or organization for a duration of 12-16 months, and then later submit a report outlining your experiences (similar to the report you submit during your co-op work term at Waterloo, at least from what I was told by friends who went there).

You can find more information about the PEY program in the following link below:

http://engineeringcareers.utoronto.ca/students/undergraduate-internship/pey/

What are the top engineering programs in Ontario with the best co-op programs?

The top engineering programs in Ontario with the best co-op programs include the University of Waterloo, McMaster University, University of Toronto, Queen's University, and Western University.

What are the benefits of enrolling in an engineering program with a co-op program?

Enrolling in an engineering program with a co-op program allows students to gain hands-on experience in their field of study, make valuable industry connections, and earn money while completing their degree.

How do co-op programs in engineering work?

Co-op programs in engineering typically involve alternating periods of academic study and paid work placements in a relevant industry. These work placements are designed to provide students with practical experience and allow them to apply their classroom knowledge in real-world settings.

Are co-op programs in engineering mandatory?

Co-op programs in engineering are not mandatory, but they are highly encouraged. These programs provide students with a competitive edge in the job market and allow them to gain valuable experience before graduating.

Do all engineering programs in Ontario offer co-op programs?

No, not all engineering programs in Ontario offer co-op programs. It is important for students to research and carefully consider their options when choosing a program, as co-op opportunities may vary among different schools and programs.