Moment of Inertia of Hollow Cylinder Derivation

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the moment of inertia for a uniform, hollow cylinder and the confusion surrounding the use of the mass of the whole cylinder versus the mass of the corresponding hollow cylinder in the formula. It was clarified that both forms of the formula are correct, but the mass used in the formula depends on the specific application.
BrainSalad
For a uniform, hollow cylinder, why is this derivation wrong?

M = mass of whole solid cylinder
m = mass of missing cylindrical piece
R = radius of whole cylinder
r = radius of missing cylindrical piece

moment of inertia = moment of inertia of whole cylinder - moment of inertia of missing cylindrical piece

I = MR2/2 - mr2/2

m/M = pi*r2*h/pi*R2*h = r2/R2

m = M*r2/R2

I = MR2/2 - M*r4/2R2

I = MR4/2R2 - M*r4/2R2

I = M/2R2*(R4 - r4)

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems correct, it is only that the result contains in its expression the mass M of the whole cylinder and not the mass of the corresponding hollow cylinder. If you substitute [itex]M=\frac{M_{h}R^2}{R^2-r^2}[/itex] you ll get the usual expression for the inertia of a hollow cylinder [itex]I=\frac{1}{2}M_h(R^2+r^2)[/itex].

Last edited:
It's fine as written. If you want to express ##I## using the mass of the outer shell only, call it ##M^\prime,## then you have to use ##M^\prime = M - m = M (1 - r^2/R^2)## to get the usual form for ##I##.

Thanks guys. Just a matter of confusion due to the specific application of the formula.

This derivation is incorrect because it assumes that the moment of inertia of the missing cylindrical piece is equal to mr2/2, which is the moment of inertia of a solid cylinder with radius r. However, the missing cylindrical piece is not a solid cylinder, it is a hollow cylinder with a different distribution of mass. Therefore, the moment of inertia of the missing cylindrical piece should be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, taking into account the difference in distribution of mass between a solid and hollow cylinder. This results in a different value for the moment of inertia of the missing cylindrical piece, making the overall derivation incorrect.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is I = ½MR², where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder different from a solid cylinder?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is different from a solid cylinder because it takes into account the distribution of mass within the cylinder. In a solid cylinder, all the mass is located at the same distance from the axis of rotation, while in a hollow cylinder, the mass is distributed at different distances from the axis.

3. What are the units for moment of inertia?

The units for moment of inertia are kg·m² or g·cm².

4. How does the mass distribution affect the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder?

The mass distribution affects the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder because the farther away the mass is from the axis of rotation, the more it contributes to the moment of inertia. This means that a hollow cylinder with most of its mass concentrated near the outer radius will have a larger moment of inertia than a solid cylinder with the same mass and radius.

5. How can the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder be used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder is an important concept in physics and is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the stability of rotating objects, designing flywheels in engines, and predicting the motion of objects rolling down inclines. It is also used in engineering to determine the strength and stability of structures.