Realizing you're gay: What is meant by that?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty for straight individuals to understand the concept of a "gay identity" and the misconceptions that often arise. The speaker explains that being gay is not solely about sexual fantasies or feeling different, but rather a deep sense of self-awareness and pride. They also mention the difference in maturation processes between gays and straights, leading to divergent mentalities and making understanding each other difficult.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
INTRODUCTION:
As a gay man, I've often wondered why it seems so difficult for straights to understand what we mean by having a "gay identity" that to me is a perfectly natural, keen sense of being; an abiding tune if you like, a humming in me at all times.

The almost universal reaction from straights is that we mean something like having explicit sexual fantasies about members of our own sex, i.e, that we are referring to our specific mode of arousal.
By this reaction, straights have totally missed the mark, or at least, deeply misconstrued the whole issue.

Another typical reaction is that perhaps we gays go about with a sense of being different, i.e, that we have a sort of perpetual outcast feeling within us that drives us into each others arms to huddle together for some time and gain respite from a hostile world around us.
This last attempt from (usually sympathetic, but pitying) straights to understand us is however, utterly false:
Rather than being an ever-present sense of inadequacy, my "gayness" is a sense akin to that of achieved wholeness and self-sufficiency, that is, intimately and irrevocably entwined with my sense of independent adulthood, and yes, pride and self-confidence.

I am as utterly and totally gay when I inhale a fresh batch of cool morning air as when I am deeply intimate with another man.
Such a statement will most usually be met with headshakes and stares of blank incomprehension from straights.

To me, at least, it has been very puzzling that there doesn't seem to exist a similar sense of "straightness".
Lately, however, as I've pondered these various issues again, I think I've found a way to describe this, and I hope you'll join me and read on since I think I've also figured out a few bits about you straights which might be of interest to yourselves.

I have headed the thread with a reference to the moment when you REALIZE you're gay, perhaps the most defining moment in a gay man's life, and that should not be confused with the moments you start having sexual fantasies about or encounters with boys/men, nor about coming out as gay.

As I see it now, gays and straights go through totally different maturation processes towards adulthood leading to quite strongly divergent mentalities, which makes "understanding" very hard, and probably can't ever be achieved fully.

So, in the spirit of attempting the impossible anyway, my next post will involve describing these maturation processes as I see it now.
I will, of course, be delighted if someone actually reads this thread and posts intelligent comments, even if it should happen that those comments reduces my beautiful theory about distinct maturation processes to shambles..

(Perhaps this thread ought to be moved from GD to "Social Sciences", or possibly, the philosophy forums)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
arildno said:
INTRODUCTION:
As a gay man, I've often wondered why it seems so difficult for straights to understand what we mean by having a "gay identity" that to me is a perfectly natural, keen sense of being; an abiding tune if you like, a humming in me at all times.

The almost universal reaction from straights is that we mean something like having explicit sexual fantasies about members of our own sex, i.e, that we are referring to our specific mode of arousal.
By this reaction, straights have totally missed the mark, or at least, deeply misconstrued the whole issue.

Another typical reaction is that perhaps we gays go about with a sense of being different, i.e, that we have a sort of perpetual outcast feeling within us that drives us into each others arms to huddle together for some time and gain respite from a hostile world around us.
This last attempt from (usually sympathetic, but pitying) straights to understand us is however, utterly false:
Rather than being an ever-present sense of inadequacy, my "gayness" is a sense akin to that of achieved wholeness and self-sufficiency, that is, intimately and irrevocably entwined with my sense of independent adulthood, and yes, pride and self-confidence.

I am as utterly and totally gay when I inhale a fresh batch of cool morning air as when I am deeply intimate with another man.
Such a statement will most usually be met with headshakes and stares of blank incomprehension from straights.

To me, at least, it has been very puzzling that there doesn't seem to exist a similar sense of "straightness".
Lately, however, as I've pondered these various issues again, I think I've found a way to describe this, and I hope you'll join me and read on since I think I've also figured out a few bits about you straights which might be of interest to yourselves.

I have headed the thread with a reference to the moment when you REALIZE you're gay, perhaps the most defining moment in a gay man's life, and that should not be confused with the moments you start having sexual fantasies about or encounters with boys/men, nor about coming out as gay.

As I see it now, gays and straights go through totally different maturation processes towards adulthood leading to quite strongly divergent mentalities, which makes "understanding" very hard, and probably can't ever be achieved fully.

So, in the spirit of attempting the impossible anyway, my next post will involve describing these maturation processes as I see it now.
I will, of course, be delighted if someone actually reads this thread and posts intelligent comments, even if it should happen that those comments reduces my beautiful theory about distinct maturation processes to shambles..

(Perhaps this thread ought to be moved from GD to "Social Sciences", or possibly, the philosophy forums)

You've expressed yourself very eloquently. I've had a few gay friends (platonic, of course) in the past, they're nice guys and there was no difficulty in interacting with them. Maybe I just wasn't their type, who knows ? :biggrin:

arildno said:
INTRODUCTION:
As a gay man, I've often wondered why it seems so difficult for straights to understand what we mean by having a "gay identity" that to me is a perfectly natural, keen sense of being; an abiding tune if you like, a humming in me at all
Maybe because it seems abnormal since there is no such a thing in nature for example about animals!But of course don't ask me how I know we don't have the same about animals...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious3141 said:
You've expressed yourself very eloquently. I've had a few gay friends (platonic, of course) in the past, they're nice guys and there was no difficulty in interacting with them. Maybe I just wasn't their type, who knows ? :biggrin:
I can tell you straight away what's "wrong" with you: You're straight.
You could only "satisfy" a gay man on his "grunt" level; you're not a kindred spirit, and that's what we are attracted to when we've matured.

You're not singing, we can't sense you.

Homosexuality is neither as rare or as "deviant" as many of us pretend. I've heard estimates of male homosexuality ranging from 5 to 10 %. Even assuming the lower bound, that means one out of twenty random males in the population (on average) is gay (whether or not they would readily admit it, perhaps even to themselves). Hardly rare.

Given that prevalence, I wouldn't even consider it abnormal in any way. Just normal variation, really. And it hurts no-one.

arildno said:
I can tell you straight away what's "wrong" with you: You're straight.
You could only "satisfy" a gay man on his "grunt" level; you're not a kindred spirit, and that's what we are attracted to when we've matured.

You're not singing, we can't sense you.

I don't want you to satisfy me, or the reverse. And I wouldn't *want* you to be attracted to me. But would my straightness mean that we can't be friends ?

Curious3141 said:
I don't want you to satisfy me, or the reverse. And I wouldn't *want* you to be attracted to me.
So then you ought to be relieved that the vast majority of adult gays wouldn't want you, either.

But would my straightness mean that we can't be friends ?
Not at all, as long as we have enough interests in common , say like literature, science, political views or sports.

Last edited:
arildno said:
So then you ought to be relieved that the vast majority of adult gays wouldn't want you, either.

Of course. As relieved as you must be that the vast majority of women (straight and gay) wouldn't want you. :tongue2:

Not at all, as long as we have enough interests in common , say like literature, science, political views or sports.

Of course.

arildno said:
And the ones who do wouldn't care if you liked them back :rofl:

Curious3141 said:
Of course. As relieved as you must be that the vast majority of women (straight and gay) wouldn't want you. :tongue2:
Can't say that I've been much bothered with adoring females, but when it has happened, I've had to stifle a yawn or two, and resist the urge to go home and get a good night's sleep.

So yes, I am relieved, since I prefer to be present and sharp when I'm awake.

... interesting thread Arildno ! Have thought about issues such as this one perhaps way too equally & in a simplified sense, interesting to read your "next post" since there do appear to be degrees-of-freedom (like the realization, the following maturation...) which are difficult to grasp on this side of the fence.

Arildno, it seems you're making the same errors in generalization regarding "straights" as you are arguing is made about "gays."

As for the question of when do you become overtly aware of your sexual preferences? I would guess that most homosexual people would come to that self-awareness at about the same time as heterosexuals become aware of their own sexuality, some time around puberty. Children are generally not inclined to think about sexuality at all, and only as they begin to enter puberty and start feeling "strange feelings" for others, be it of the opposite sex or the same sex, do they begin to become aware of sexuality. Puberty is a tough time for everyone, though the lack of acceptance/intolerance of homosexuality in society must make it more difficult when the other young men are talking about "hot girls" (yes, at that age, they say girls :tongue:) and you're thinking about that "hot boy."

I wonder what you mean when you say that you wake up in the morning as gay as you are all day long. I mean, of course you are, just as I'm as heterosexual in the morning as I am all day long, but it's not an active thought every single morning or something that ought to run through one's mind all day long unless you see someone attractive that gets your thoughts onto such a topic. Unless you're trying to say that because you have a harder time being openly yourself (such as, you can't just off-handedly comment while out in a group, "Wow! He's HOT!" the way a heterosexual male might do when he sees an attractive woman) that it weighs upon your mind more often, or that it means you find yourself more comfortable in a community of other gay people where the culture is more open to you just being who you are. If so, it's unfortunate that you haven't met heterosexual friends with whom you can feel yourself, or for that matter, that you need to distinguish among who is heterosexual or homosexual in order to find friends who truly are friends in the sense of fully accepting you as the person you are. I assure you that among the heterosexual population, there are those of us who aren't going to blink or look at you cross-eyed if you want to comment on the hot men instead of the hot women (well, we might blink the first time if we've made fools of ourselves assuming you were straight and trying to point you toward women we thought you'd find attractive). And, of course, comments such as those from Dex and Lisa! here don't help you or anyone else who is homosexual feel comfortable being yourself in a crowd until you've confirmed their opinions of homosexuality.

And to Dex and Lisa!, there is NOTHING sick, disgusting, or unnatural about ANY form of sexuality (although it is has turned out to be rather disconcerting just how natural it is to the zookeepers who were hoping to breed penguins who found out all their male penguins are homosexual).

Arildno, gay men really should let women know they are gay very quickly; I really hate flirting with a really cute guy all night only to learn I've been wasting my time because he's gay. :grumpy: It happens way too often too (and no, I don't just assume someone is gay because he's not interested in my flirting, I'm talking about when they eventually just tell me so).

Hehe.. I think Dex has an insecure personality and Lisa is simply ignorant of certain things. There are a lot of homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom - and there are a lot of animals who have sex not to just reproduce but for pleasure - certain monkeys do it every other minute when they are bored, some do it anally - indiscriminate of the gender or method of delivery.

There are a few theories I have on the matter - ranging from scientific to pseudoscientific. For starters it could be a genetic predesposition to a certain pheromone in gay people and they will be drawn towards either gender - and those who have equal predesposition will be bisexual. In some there will be a strong repulsion towards one gender and affection towards another through other chemical traits that evade me at the moment - and they might want to become transgender and either homosexual or bisexual depending on the discrete combination of such traits

From a pseudoscience department I can think of a male being stuck in a female body, or a female being stuck in a male body. This is unlikely to explain the bisexual case, and generally won't be as acceptable as I'd like to admit it - yes, I am a lesbian woman stuck in a man's body, and no, that doesn't really ever work.

As far as this being sick or repulsive, consider that the next time you drop the soap in a male prison block - there are just a few things that give you peak release of endorphins and that is, unfortunately for your tight little buttcheeks, Dex, one of them :biggrin:

Shh.. Hey Dex.. Dont drop the soap, homie

Okay, I'll go ahead; I'll try to keep this as Victorian as possible.

First of all, however, I would like to draw attention to a perfectly common psychological distinction we make in our own lives, and that is the difference between our total mental content and our self-conception.
This is absolutely crucial to have clear before you, so I'll devote this post to this issue:
With our total mental content I mean just that:
Every fleeting sensation we experience, every tremor of feeling we have, along with all stray thoughts that hits our head from time to time.

But that doesn't mean that every such mental component is part of our own self-conception:
For example, we might feel uncharacteristically snappish one day and bite those around us, but we say things like "I'm just in a bad mood", "It's just a phase I'm in", that is:
We do not regard these mental elements part of your "true self", in a way it is something "other" than ourselves that occupies our mind.

Perhaps you occasionally get a stray political thought in your head which is totally different from "your" views, and you've no idea how that sort of un-you-ishness managed to sneak its way into your mind.

That is, our sense of ourselves, our self-conception, our identity sense does not claim everything which happens within our heads as "true" expressions of yourself.

Moonbear said:
Arildno, it seems you're making the same errors in generalization regarding "straights" as you are arguing is made about "gays."
Very probably. That's one of the major reasons I made this thread; I very much would like to be challenged to the point where I must discard the theory I'm about to propose.

As for the question of when do you become overtly aware of your sexual preferences? I would guess that most homosexual people would come to that self-awareness at about the same time as heterosexuals become aware of their own sexuality, some time around puberty. Children are generally not inclined to think about sexuality at all, and only as they begin to enter puberty and start feeling "strange feelings" for others, be it of the opposite sex or the same sex, do they begin to become aware of sexuality. Puberty is a tough time for everyone, though the lack of acceptance/intolerance of homosexuality in society must make it more difficult when the other young men are talking about "hot girls" (yes, at that age, they say girls :tongue:) and you're thinking about that "hot boy."
There's a subtle issue here, which I'll get back to.
I wonder what you mean when you say that you wake up in the morning as gay as you are all day long.
Quite so; I hope to be able to explain that.
Just in advance, I think you'll get vexated with me and say:
"But that has nothing to do with being "gay", arildno!"..
Arildno, gay men really should let women know they are gay very quickly; I really hate flirting with a really cute guy all night only to learn I've been wasting my time because he's gay. :grumpy: It happens way too often too (and no, I don't just assume someone is gay because he's not interested in my flirting, I'm talking about when they eventually just tell me so).
We are probably assuming that the girls pick up the clues of polite non-interest in the same way that other gays would pick them up.
On this issue, we really should make things crystal clear as fast as is "possible" , I fully agree with you.

Last edited:
cronxeh said:
There are a few theories I have on the matter - ranging from scientific to pseudoscientific. For starters it could be a genetic predesposition to a certain pheromone in gay people and they will be drawn towards either gender - and those who have equal predesposition will be bisexual. In some there will be a strong repulsion towards one gender and affection towards another through other chemical traits that evade me at the moment - and they might want to become transgender and either homosexual or bisexual depending on the discrete combination of such traits

From a pseudoscience department I can think of a male being stuck in a female body, or a female being stuck in a male body. This is unlikely to explain the bisexual case, and generally won't be as acceptable as I'd like to admit it - yes, I am a lesbian woman stuck in a man's body, and no, that doesn't really ever work.

You may have your science and pseudoscience issues mixed up a bit. I don't know of anything that would suggest pheromones have anything to do with sexuality. There are studies showing that sexually dimorphic areas of the brain are more similar between heterosexual females and homosexual males than between heterosexual and homosexual males or females. These are areas of the brain that are influenced by hormones, both during early development and at/following puberty, though which comes first, the brain development or hormonal environment, I don't know.

There are indeed transgendered people, which is NOT the same as being homosexual, who really do feel they are a man trapped in a woman's body or vice versa. I recently met a person who is undergoing the transition from female to male. Because this person is still undergoing the process of transitioning, and is currently in the stage of hormonal treatments and not yet at the stage of any surgical alterations, I have trouble remembering to use the correct pronouns, but he prefers that we use male pronouns at this stage, though understands when we make a mistake and use a female pronoun. He's been using a masculinized version of a nickname for his first name for some time now, so it's just easier using his name until I get used to referring to him as "him" or "he." The hardest part of the transition for him is that right now, due to the hormonal treatments, he says he has all the emotional stability around women as a 14 year-old boy, which I found really fascinating to learn from a biological perspective of the influence of hormones in adulthood.

arildno said:

Just curious, what's the motivation to present this? It's no big deal to me. :cool:

I agree - I am as utterly and totally me when I inhale a fresh batch of cool morning air - but then I am only intimate with my wife. :biggrin:

I have many gay/lesbian friends - for me that's quite natural. My best friend from high school 'came out' to me years ago. He was worried that I might reject him. No way! He's still one of my best friends - and I love him dearly! I was invited and I attended his 'wedding'. He is married to a very nice guy. :smile:

On occassion, I have been 'hit' on by gay men. No big deal. I politely decline. I also politely decline when I get hit on by women.

As for "realizing one is gay", I imagine that it has to do with realizing a sexual identity once one passes through puberty in a culture which is predominantly heterosexual. All of us are the product of a 'heterosexual' union (a mom and a dad) - biologically that is just the way it is. Before puberty (sexual maturity) the sexual identity (boy/girl) is more cultural. After puberty - things get a whole lot more complicated. :biggrin:

My best friend in pre-K and kindergarten was a girl. In first grade, I had a girl-friend (seriously!) - the first of many. Looking back I probably was friends with more girls than boys as I was growing up, and actually I would have to say I prefer the company of women to most men. :biggrin:

Anyway, take care arildno. I enjoy reading your posts on math! :smile:

cronxeh said:
Hehe.. I think Dex has an insecure personality and Lisa is simply ignorant of certain things. There are a lot of homosexual behavior in the animal kingdom - and there are a lot of animals who have sex not to just reproduce but for pleasure - certain monkeys do it every other minute when they are bored, some do it anally - indiscriminate of the gender or method of delivery.

As far as this being sick or repulsive, consider that the next time you drop the soap in a male prison block - there are just a few things that give you peak release of endorphins and that is, unfortunately for your tight little buttcheeks, Dex, one of them :biggrin:

Shh.. Hey Dex.. Dont drop the soap, homie

How do you know i have "tight little buttcheeks" ?? :eek: You can't see them in the photo i have here on PF, you might assume, i could still be a fata$$. :tongue2:

I have a sexy butt. :cool: It's not a secret anymore.

:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
How do you know i have "tight little buttcheeks" ?? :eek: You can't see them in the photo i have here on PF, you might assume, i could still be a fata$$. :tongue2:

I have a sexy butt. :cool: It's not a secret anymore.

:tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Daniel.
Hey Dex, you need to cut back on the caffeine, or is it Dexedrine? :biggrin:

arildno said:
Quite so; I hope to be able to explain that.
Just in advance, I think you'll get vexated with me and say:
"But that has nothing to do with being "gay", arildno!"..
Well, I guess that depends. If to you it feels like it has to do with your sexuality and feels somehow different than you suppose things feel to a heterosexual as they go about their day, then I can't argue over your own self-identity or self-perception. On the other hand, perhaps it is only through lack of communication among heterosexuals and homosexuals that you've come to believe your experiences are unique to homosexuals when they are really experienced by everyone. Or perhaps a woman can relate more than a man because we face similar obstacles in trying to get ahead when dealing with the "old boys' club," which sadly, does still exist.

We are probably assuming that the girls pick up the clues of polite non-interest in the same way that other gays would pick them up.
On this issue, we really should make things crystal clear as fast as is "possible" , I fully agree with you.

Well, it could be that "polite" non-interest still appears as more interest than the "rude" non-interest we get from an uninterested straight guy. Heck that polite non-interest appears as more interest than even an interested straight guy shows us right away. :rolleyes: Or, sometimes it can be interest in the conversation and as a potential friend rather than a sexual interest, and that's okay, but it's just nice to know that a bit sooner so we don't walk away feeling foolish for flirting all night with a gay man. :redface:

Astronuc said:
Just curious, what's the motivation to present this?
Maybe he's decided it's time to stop confusing the men he's been hitting on/drooling over for some time around here who started wondering if he was female. :tongue2: The only thing I hadn't been sure of was whether he was gay or bisexual.

Two gay men can't produce kids.No Fun. Though gayism is helpful for population control :approve:

BJ

Dr.Brain said:
Two gay men can't produce kids.No Fun. Though gayism is helpful for population control :approve:

BJ
No, but a gay man (and his partner) could arrange for a woman to be artifically inseminated. Also, lesbian women can arrange for one of the male friends to donate sperm. It does happen.

Beyond that, gay and lesbian couples may adopt. There a plenty of children who need a loving family in which to live.

Okay, I'll continue, and here's the first point which I believe is quite differently experienced between straights and gays:
When a gay's feelings starts "awakening, then these are practically always regarded as "other", not parts of your self; they are not regarded as signs that you yourself is changing in any fundamental or frightening way.
You yourself doesn't change a bit by this new mental content.
(That is how it felt for me)

This is I believe, quite different from how the pubescent straight feels, as if she (or he) doesn't know herself anymore, she knows she's changing into someone else than who she was before.
It is, however, she who has these feelings, they are her.

Have a totally misperceived straights here?

Last edited:
Hey Arildno, well that explains why you never requested a second set of my nekkid pictues. :grumpy:

(can you send the first set back, you know, the ones I glued on the yule goat)

I've always had male best friends and a number of them are gay. You're my first Norweed though. :cool:

Evo said:
Hey Arildno, well that explains why you never requested a second set of my nekkid pictues. :grumpy:
That's how a very dumb gay man like me thinks he gives sufficient clues of polite non-interest. :rofl:

(What straight male wouldn't have nekkid pictures of Evo? :confused:)

pssht arildno.. umm could u click the forward button and umm.. send them over here.. thanks

arildno said:
Okay, I'll continue, and here's the first point which I believe is quite differently experienced between straights and gays:
When a gay's feelings starts "awakening, then these are practically always regarded as "other", not parts of your self; they are not regarded as signs that you yourself is changing in any fundamental or frightening way.

This is I believe, quite different from how the pubescent straight feels, as if she (or he) doesn't know herself anymore, she knows she's changing into someone else than who she was before.

I can't speak for how straight boys becoming men feel, but I never experienced any feeling of changing into someone else or that I was suddenly different than I was before going through puberty. It's all a gradual process anyway. I always had boys as friends, so there was no sudden shift from hanging around with only girls to suddenly hanging around with the boys too. Now, I've heard people say things like, "I'm not sure who I am," or "I need to find myself," but that's not part of the "heterosexual" experience, that's just that some people are confused in general, and it's not a common thing at all, more the exception. At least for women, or those I know, the only thing that really marked rather suddenly an entrance into adulthood was the beginning of menstruation, but that happens whether you're straight or gay, and then it quickly is realized to be a royal nuisance more than some "mystical" right of entry into womanhood as some of our mothers try to trick us into believing before it happens.

arildno said:
It wasn't any "change" so to speak it was just a gradual strengthening of sexual attraction to boys, that started well before puberty, I just didn't know what the feelings were because I was too young. Little girls 6-10 also get "crushes" on movie and rock stars, etc... It's just a natural progression of one's self, if that is what you mean.

I think it's a bit different for everyone.

Arildno said:
Can you clarify? When you say "gay's feelings starts "awakening, then these are practically always regarded as "other", not parts of your self", are you saying you have no innate sense of sexual fellings that you feel are a normal part of you? (forgive me if I am dense, my head still hurts)

Now, how could a boy ever start thinking and believing that his own emotions is not his own emotions, his own self??
It is a total and complete self-contradiction, but there you have it:
That's how I went through puberty; what "I" was, was a-sexual, not-yet heterosexual, the girl hadn't come along yet.
If you had asked me if I was gay, I would have answered with complete sincerity that I was not.
If you had asked me if I got excited at the thought of other boys, I would have lied and said no, because that could make you mistakenly believe that I was gay, something I wasn't (I know, it is totally ludicrous).

That is, I systematically deceived myself, those emotions which at times was the dominating mental content in my were explained away by me in the most ridiculous manner.

However, those emotions I had, was crystal clear and roared within me: They were from day 1 unwaveringly homosexual; the sole source of "confusion" was my consistent refusal to integrate them in my self-conception. I simply wouldn't budge, and hear the call.

Effectively, I stood in my mind on the outside of a vast furnace chamber encased in glass, where the fires leapt and roared within excitedly and excitingly growing stronger and stronger.

To realize you're gay is as simple as it is momentous:
It is to open the door into that chamber and walk in, or that the glass wall simply shatters.

And here's the thing:
Once that happened, something else I had never thought should happen as well:
Suddenly I understood what a zombie-like existence I had led earlier, I was totally drained of emotion in my daily life, all my mental energies had been used to keep that glass wall complete, what was left outside the chamber was merely a hollow shell who led a vegetative existence.
My puberty was therefore never to be rushed along this or that emotional high or low (which it seems to have been for straights), it was extremely dull, and it was only when I was animated by those fires that I truly understood that what I had shut off was simply my life-force, my identity as a human being. My sense-perception widened, and the ardour I used in schoolwork was equally drawn from that source.

Thus, a gay boy matures, I think quite differently from the straights, who in the frightening, but exhilarating ride have to sort out who they are to become; in me, it was effectively two clearly distinguished halves developing on their own who finally choose to clasp hands and become one.

The "fires" which to me is "self-evidently" gay due to the curious development I've been through, is none other than my life-force, my identity which is with me all day.
It does not mean I think about men all the time, my life-force has just some particular colour, even though the expressions of that life-force is differs widely over the day.

For straights, who evidently have a personal identity at least as strong as mine, I think their road to self-identity is quite different.
They build themselves up, I think, "piece by piece", rather than the way in which I've described my own road.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the subject, that's why i am reading this, i did know
one chap who was openly gay, and he was certainly a nice person.

I'm just about finished now; the "theory" is effectively contained in posts 1,19,29,35.

Evo said:
It wasn't any "change" so to speak it was just a gradual strengthening of sexual attraction to boys, that started well before puberty, I just didn't know what the feelings were because I was too young. Little girls 6-10 also get "crushes" on movie and rock stars, etc... It's just a natural progression of one's self, if that is what you mean.
Yeah - it was a natural progression with me. I had 'girlfriends' way before puberty - starting when I was 6. I even had crushes on some my female teachers and movie stars. I don't think though that it was sexual - there were no strong sexual feelings - it was more an affinity.

Puberty came along and the whole thing changed - relationships with girls involved strong emotions both ways and consequently the relationships were more complicated and intense. But at that point, I was really starting to think about getting married.

Most other boys at the time (ages 12-13) were just 'discovering' girls, something which I had figured out 6-7 years earlier.

arildno said:
If you had asked me if I got excited at the thought of other boys, I would have lied and said no, because that could make you mistakenly believe that I was gay, something I wasn't (I know, it is totally ludicrous).

That is, I systematically deceived myself, those emotions which at times was the dominating mental content in my were explained away by me in the most ridiculous manner.

However, those emotions I had, was crystal clear and roared within me: They were from day 1 unwaveringly homosexual; the sole source of "confusion" was my consistent refusal to integrate them in my self-conception. I simply wouldn't budge, and hear the call.

Effectively, I stood in my mind on the outside of a vast furnace chamber encased in glass, where the fires leapt and roared within excitedly and excitingly growing stronger and stronger.

To realize you're gay is as simple as it is momentous:
It is to open the door into that chamber and walk in, or that the glass wall simply shatters.

And here's the thing:
Once that happened, something else I had never thought should happen as well:
Suddenly I understood what a zombie-like existence I had led earlier, I was totally drained of emotion in my daily life, all my mental energies had been used to keep that glass wall complete, what was left outside the chamber was merely a hollow shell who led a vegetative existence.
It is not ludicrous at all. This is exactly what a number of gay friends have described.

Why do many gay men go through this. Probably it's because that's the way they learn in the culture. Most (if not all) parents assume their children are heterosexual - since in most cases the parent are heterosexual. It does happen that some men realize they are gay well after marriage and kids, and unfortunately those couples often divorce.

I think socialization is the key factor. Boys and girls are socialized according to cultural stereotypes.

At least that is my experience.

Teenage years can very difficult for gay and lesbian youth - because many in the larger culture disapprove of homosexuality.

Last edited: