United States Chief Justice dies

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist passed away at his home in Virginia after battling thyroid cancer. He was surrounded by his children and continued to serve on the Supreme Court until his health declined in the last few days. While opinions may differ on his decisions, his 33 years on the court is a commendable achievement. Let us remember and mourn his passing rather than engage in political discussions.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9194092/

WASHINGTON - Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist died Saturday evening at his home in suburban Virginia, said Supreme Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg.

A statement from the spokeswoman said he was surrounded by his three children when he died in Arlington.

“The Chief Justice battled thyroid cancer since being diagnosed last October and continued to perform his dues on the court until a precipitous decline in his health the last couple of days,” she said.

Whether you approved of his decisions or not, 33 years on the Supreme Court is an honorable accomplishment

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm . . . just posted this in P&WA. Perhaps we can limit this thread to condolences, and leave any discussion of decisions and implication and such to elsewhere.

There will be plenty of time for political discussions. This is a time for mourning and remembrance.

Oh geez, this is the first thing I saw when I opened up my homepage.. my heart stopped.

I am very sad to hear the news. :frown: He will be missed.

Lets try to keep the politics out of this thread please.

I see that there are two Rehnquist threads, this being the condolences thread.

Hopefully, an equally competent judge as Rehnquist will be selected as the new Chief Justice.

1. What is the role of the United States Chief Justice?

The Chief Justice of the United States is the highest-ranking judicial officer in the country and serves as the head of the judicial branch of the federal government. They preside over the Supreme Court and have the responsibility of interpreting the Constitution and federal laws.

2. How is the United States Chief Justice selected?

The Chief Justice is nominated by the President of the United States and confirmed by the Senate. They serve a lifetime appointment, unless they choose to retire or are impeached and removed from office.

3. What happens if the United States Chief Justice dies?

If the Chief Justice dies, the President will nominate a new Chief Justice to fill the vacancy. The nominee must then be confirmed by the Senate in order to assume the role.

4. How many Chief Justices have died while in office?

To date, seven Chief Justices have died while serving on the Supreme Court. The most recent was Chief Justice William Rehnquist in 2005.

5. Who serves as the acting Chief Justice if the current one dies?

If the Chief Justice dies, the most senior associate justice on the Supreme Court will serve as the acting Chief Justice until a new Chief Justice is nominated and confirmed. However, the role of "Chief Justice" is not officially transferred until the new Chief Justice is sworn in.