Understanding Baseball Bat Center of Mass: Seeking Explanation

In summary, the answer to the question is no, the two pieces of a baseball bat do not have the same mass if cut at the center of mass. This is because the center of mass is determined by the distribution of mass in an object, so the piece with the handle will have less mass than the piece on the other end. The center of mass does not always divide an object into two equal masses, but rather depends on the distribution of mass throughout the object.
vg19
Hey,

There is a question in my textbook that I don't understand the answer too. THey show a diagram of a baseball bat and say if the baseball bad it cut at the location of its center of mass, do the two pieces have the same mass? They say no, the piece with the handle will have less mass than the piece of the other end.

I really don't understand why. I think I am missing out on an important concept of centre of mass. If someone could explain the reasoning behind this answer Id really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about it , does the c.m location of an object is such that it always divides the object into two equal masses? . C.M depends on distribution of masses at different distances from a reference point. So the c.m would be placed nearer to greater mass distribution in a confined area.

BJ

1. What is the center of mass for a baseball bat?

The center of mass for a baseball bat is the point at which the bat's mass is evenly distributed. This is typically located towards the middle of the bat, where the handle and barrel meet.

2. How does the center of mass affect a bat's performance?

The center of mass plays a crucial role in a bat's performance. A bat with a lower center of mass will have a larger sweet spot, making it easier to hit the ball with more power and accuracy. A higher center of mass can result in a smaller sweet spot and potentially decrease the bat's performance.

3. How is the center of mass determined for a baseball bat?

The center of mass for a baseball bat can be determined through various methods, including balancing the bat on a pivot point and finding the point at which it remains level, or using mathematical equations to calculate the distribution of mass along the bat.

4. Can the center of mass be manipulated in a baseball bat?

Yes, the center of mass can be manipulated in a baseball bat through the design and construction of the bat. For example, a bat with a larger barrel and thinner handle will have a lower center of mass, while a bat with a thicker handle and smaller barrel will have a higher center of mass.

5. How does the center of mass differ between different types of baseball bats?

The center of mass can vary between different types of baseball bats, such as wooden bats, aluminum bats, and composite bats. This is due to the differences in materials and construction methods used in each type of bat, as well as the desired performance characteristics for each type of bat.