Number of rolls with m many n-sided dice

• Thread starter mathboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the number of rolls with m many n-sided dice can be calculated by multiplying the number of possible outcomes on each die (n) by the number of dice rolled (m). This number can be used to determine the probability of a certain outcome, as well as to calculate the expected value and variance of the rolls. Additionally, the number of rolls can be used to simulate dice games and other probability-based scenarios.
mathboy
[SOLVED] Number of rolls with m many n-sided dice

How many different rolls are there with m many n-sided dice, if order is not important?

If order was important, the answer would simply be n^m. But if order is not important?

If two 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,2)+C(6,1) = 21 different rolls.
If three 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,3)+C(6,1)C(5,1)+C(6,1) = 56 different rolls.

Is there a general method for rolling m many n-sided dice? Or do you have to continue adding up all the cases? Perhaps a general method involving a matrix with m indices (e.g. a tensor) and simply excluding all permutations of the indices?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wouldn't it be n^m/m!? For example, say you have a black die and a red die, both 6-sided. The number of possible rolls is 6^2. If you ignore the color of the dice, then you have to divide by 2.

No. The number of rolls with 2 six-sided dice (if order is unimportant) is 21, not 18. Rolls with doubles are not being counted twice if order is considered important.

Oh that's right. Sorry about that. I don't know of a general method. I'm thinking that you would first have to count the number of rolls where all dice show the same side, then for m-1 dice showing the same side, then for m-2 dice, etc.

That's exactly what I did in my opening post. But it gets awkward after a while (e.g. for 7 dice, you can have 2 doubles and 1 triple). I'm looking for a better method that gives a single formula for arbitrarily values of m and n,

e.g. m^n minus something.

Last edited:
mathboy said:
How many different rolls are there with m many n-sided dice, if order is not important?

If order was important, the answer would simply be n^m. But if order is not important?

If two 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,2)+C(6,1) = 21 different rolls.
If three 6-sided dice are rolled, there are C(6,3)+C(6,1)C(5,1)+C(6,1) = 56 different rolls.

Is there a general method for rolling m many n-sided dice? Or do you have to continue adding up all the cases? Perhaps a general method involving a matrix with m indices (e.g. a tensor) and simply excluding all permutations of the indices?

Yes.

[tex] \frac{(n + m - 1)!}{m!(n - 1)!} [/tex]

CS

Wow! That gives the right answer for all the cases I worked out.

So the answer is C(m+n-1,m), i.e. the number of ways to choose m numbers from m+n-1 numbers. Half of this makes some sense to me because we are rolling m dice. But what's the reason for the m+n-1?

mathboy said:
Wow! That gives the right answer for all the cases I worked out.

So the answer is C(m+n-1,m), i.e. the number of ways to choose m numbers from m+n-1 numbers. Half of this makes some sense to me because we are rolling m dice. But what's the reason for the m+n-1?

It's just a combination that allows repetitions.

http://oregonstate.edu/~peterseb/mth232/232euler_comb.html

or

http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~stephens/203/PDF/6-5.pdf

Hope that helps.

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. Sometimes extra knowledge is the key to solving a problem.

Last edited:

That doesn't work for larger values because your dice cannot show more pips than n. Your formula doesn't account for that...

What is the formula for calculating the number of rolls with m many n-sided dice?

The formula for calculating the number of rolls with m many n-sided dice is nm. This means that for every additional die, the number of possible outcomes is multiplied by the number of sides on the die.

How does the number of sides on the dice affect the number of possible rolls?

The number of sides on the dice directly affects the number of possible rolls. The more sides on the dice, the higher the number of possible outcomes, and therefore the higher the number of rolls that can be made with a given number of dice.

What is the difference between the number of rolls and the number of possible outcomes?

The number of rolls refers to the actual number of times the dice are rolled, while the number of possible outcomes refers to the total number of outcomes that could occur from those rolls. For example, rolling 2 six-sided dice (2d6) has 36 possible outcomes, but only 11 possible rolls (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12).

How does the number of dice affect the probability of getting a specific roll?

The number of dice does not affect the probability of getting a specific roll. The probability of getting a specific roll is based on the number of possible outcomes and is the same regardless of the number of dice being rolled.

Can the number of rolls with m many n-sided dice be used to determine the odds of winning a game?

The number of rolls with m many n-sided dice can be used to determine the odds of winning a game if the game involves rolling dice. However, other factors such as the rules of the game and the strategy used by the players also play a role in determining the odds of winning.