Exploring Electron Acceleration & Mass Changes

In summary, scientists have tried to speed up electrons to relativistic speeds for various reasons, such as using high-energy electrons to probe the structure of matter. However, it is not possible for electrons to reach the speed of light due to the concept of relativistic mass, which increases as the electron's speed increases. This increase in mass has been measured and confirmed, and it also leads to the inability to accelerate the electron further. The argument about the role of photons as mediators in this process is interesting, but special relativity allows for the successful mediation of forces even at high speeds. As a beginner, it is important to take into account the electron's reference frame when considering these concepts.
_coyote_
I was always interested why have scientists tried to speed up electrons to the speed of light, unless they were trying to disprove the absolutness of speed of light itself, which highly unlikely was their intention.

I mean, when electromagnetic device is used to speed the electron then photons are the mediators, right? Since photons move at c then I suppose it is natural to expect that as electron approach the speed of light it will be harder and harder to accelerate it further.

My question is: Does indeed anything happen with the electron mass at high speeds, or is it just a convenient explanation of reduced ability to speed up electrons close to (or beyond?!?) the speed of the mediators?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are lots of reasons to speed up electrons (and other particles) to relativistic speeds. Its quite well agreed that the speed of light, really is (unfortunately) the maximum, and i don't think many people are still trying to disprove that.

As the electrons speed up, they become significantly more massive (this has been measured / confirmed). As they approach the speed of light, they become infinitely massive, and would require an infinite amount of force (and energy) to accelerate it further -> hence they cannot pass the speed of light.

You're argument about E&M being mediated by photons is an interesting and good one, but because of special relativity, from the electron's reference frame, the photons are still going the speed of light faster than it, and still successfully mediate the applied forces.

Does that answer your question?

Electrons can't speed up to the speed of light,acording to relativity theory their mass will approach infinity which is impossible,As the rest mass of electron is not zero.ALSO INFINITE FORCE IS REQUIRED TO ACCELERATE SOMETHING HAVING INFINITE MASS.
Rashid Iqbal
Physics Teacher

_coyote_ said:
I was always interested why have scientists tried to speed up electrons to the speed of light, unless they were trying to disprove the absolutness of speed of light itself, which highly unlikely was their intention.

Even though the electrons can't go faster than the speed of light, we can still make their energy as large as we want (or at least, as large as we have the resources to do so). High-energy electrons are a useful tool for probing the structure of matter, by studying how they scatter off other things.

Thank you all for your answers.

As you probably noticed I am only beginner... That's probably why I forgot to take into account the electron's reference frame when thinking about photons. Thanks lzkelley. ;-)

lzkelley said:
As the electrons speed up, they become significantly more massive (this has been measured / confirmed).

How exactly is the increased electron mass measured?

Does this increased mass has any gravitational effect?

Also, how is the speed of the accelerated electron measured?

1. What is electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration refers to the increase in the speed and energy of electrons as they are subjected to an external force, such as an electric field.

2. How does electron acceleration occur?

Electron acceleration occurs through the application of an external force, such as an electric field, which pushes or pulls on the electrons, causing them to gain speed and energy.

3. What are the applications of electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration has many applications, including in particle accelerators used in scientific research, in the production of X-rays for medical imaging, and in the generation of electricity in power plants.

4. How do electron acceleration and mass changes relate?

Electron acceleration can cause changes in the mass of the electrons, as their increased speed and energy can lead to relativistic effects, where mass and energy are interrelated.

5. What are the potential dangers of electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration can be dangerous if not properly controlled, as high-energy electrons can cause damage to biological tissue. Additionally, the high temperatures and magnetic fields associated with electron acceleration can also pose safety risks.