Transferring Files From PC to Mac - Tips & Tricks

In summary, you can copy files between a computer and a new Macbook Pro by using a USB memory or external drive, or by using a cross-over ethernet cable if the two are directly connected.
offtheleft
yes, i just got a nice new macbook pro... how do i get all my music, important files, pics, etc from my pc to my mac?! lol sorry i came here to ask but any info would be great !

Computer science news on Phys.org
The easiest way I could think of is to do it over LAN.

So, if your computer is hooked up to the internet and your Macbook has wireless, you would create a share folder on the Windows PC, shove all your stuff in that folder, and then find it on your Mac and shove it all in the Mac.

I don't have much experience with Macs, so that's as specific as I can get.

If for some reason one or both aren't connected to the internet, try to borrow an Ethernet cable from someone, or just buy one for like $10 from Best Buy and do the exact same thing.

I agree with the LAN idea, if you have it. Next easiest is to use a USB memory or external drive. Third choice would be to burn a bunch of CDs. Side benefit is you get aother backup of your files.

An ethernet cable may or may not work on its own. I tried that once, but did not succeed. It's totally possible I had to configure ports in some particular way, but I just went straight to the USB device.

Here is the "PC to Mac" page from Apple's support center.
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

ethernet cable

Chi Meson said:
An ethernet cable may or may not work on its own. I tried that once, but did not succeed.

Hi Chi Meson! :smile:

You'd need a "cross-over" ethernet cable if you're connecting direct. :wink:

Ordinary ethernet cables only work if you connect via a hub (because the hub ports are "twisted" relative to the computer ports).

tiny-tim said:
Hi Chi Meson! :smile:

You'd need a "cross-over" ethernet cable if you're connecting direct. :wink:

Ordinary ethernet cables only work if you connect via a hub (because the hub ports are "twisted" relative to the computer ports).

Thanks, but no longer an issue. I have only owned one PC, a Compaq laptop running W '97. Now, with 3 Macs, any file transfer between computers is automatically available with the Airport Extreme. The fact that it is my neighbor's Airport Extreme is also not an issue!

thanks for the info everyone! ill get to right when i get out of work :)

I'd say the absolute easiest would be a large external HDD.

Good luck.

Copying via an external HDD takes a bit of time if you have lots of data, because you have to copy everything twice. On the plus side, when you're done you have a backup copy of all your files as of the migration date! :smile:

ugh my girlfriend let me borrow her external HDD. No dice... for some reason it doesn't work with my pc. its old and doesn't have usb2.0 so that could be it. I've slowlh but surely been moving everything with a portal HD with the capacity of 2gb. all i really need is my music and some of my pictures. oh and all the .sib files i have. i compose music as a side job and all that stuff is very important but i salvaged almost all of it so far.

i really love this mac!

1. How do I transfer files from my PC to Mac?

There are several ways to transfer files from a PC to a Mac. One way is to use an external storage device, such as a USB flash drive, to copy and paste the files from the PC to the Mac. Another way is to use a cloud storage service, such as Dropbox or Google Drive, to upload the files from the PC and then download them onto the Mac. You can also use a file transfer software, such as FileZilla, to transfer files over a network connection between the PC and Mac.

2. Can I transfer all types of files from PC to Mac?

Yes, you can transfer all types of files from a PC to a Mac, including documents, photos, videos, music, and more. However, some files may not be compatible with both operating systems, so it's important to check for compatibility before transferring the files.

3. How long does it take to transfer files from PC to Mac?

The time it takes to transfer files from a PC to a Mac depends on the size and number of files being transferred, as well as the method of transfer. Using an external storage device or a file transfer software can be faster than using a cloud storage service, which may be limited by internet speed.

4. Do I need special software to transfer files from PC to Mac?

No, you do not need special software to transfer files from a PC to a Mac. The built-in file transfer and sharing options on both operating systems can be used. However, using a file transfer software or cloud storage service may offer more convenience and features.

5. Will my files be organized the same way on Mac as they were on PC?

It depends on how the files were organized on your PC. If you transfer them using an external storage device, they will retain their original organization. However, if you use a cloud storage service or file transfer software, the files may be organized differently based on the preferences and settings of the service or software.