Sound Intensity of a Whisper?

In summary, the sound intensity of a whisper at a distance of 3.5 m is 6.50*10-13 W/m2, and the corresponding sound intensity level is -1.87 dB. This calculation was based on the equation I = Power/[(4pi)(3.5m)2) and dB = 10 log (I/Io).
kristibella

Homework Statement

A. What is the sound intensity of a whisper at a distance of 3.5 m, in W/m2?
I know that a whisper is approximately 20 dB and P = 10-10 W/m2.

B. What is the corresponding sound intensity level in dB?

Homework Equations

I = Power/[(4pi)(3.5m)2)
dB = 10 log (I/Io).

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 6.50*10-13

dB = -1.87 (I used 10-12 W/m2 for Io)

Physics news on Phys.org
kristibella said:
I know that a whisper is approximately 20 dB and P = 10-10 W/m2.

dB level would depend on how far away you are. You know it's 20 dB at what distance from the whisperer?

I can confirm that your calculations for the sound intensity and sound intensity level of a whisper at a distance of 3.5 m are correct. It is important to note that the sound intensity of a whisper can vary depending on the individual whispering and the environment in which it is being measured. However, using the given information, your calculations provide a reasonable estimate of the sound intensity and level of a whisper.

What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity refers to the amount of energy per unit area that is transmitted through sound waves. It is typically measured in decibels (dB) and is calculated using a specialized instrument called a sound level meter.

How does the sound intensity of a whisper compare to other sounds?

The sound intensity of a whisper is typically around 20 dB, which is significantly lower than other common sounds such as normal conversation (60 dB), a vacuum cleaner (70 dB), and a rock concert (110 dB).

What factors can affect the sound intensity of a whisper?

The main factors that can affect the sound intensity of a whisper include the distance between the whisperer and the listener, the environment in which the whisper is being produced (e.g. a quiet room vs. a noisy room), and the strength and technique of the whisperer's vocal cords.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the sound intensity of a whisper?

Understanding the sound intensity of a whisper can be useful in various settings, such as speech therapy for individuals with vocal cord issues, noise control in public spaces, and recording studios to ensure clear and accurate audio recordings.

Can the sound intensity of a whisper be increased or decreased?

Yes, the sound intensity of a whisper can be increased or decreased depending on various factors such as the proximity of the whisperer to the listener, the volume at which the whisper is produced, and the surrounding environment. However, it is important to note that a whisper is generally meant to be a soft and quiet sound, so it may not be possible to increase the sound intensity significantly without altering its quality.