Anyone using NMP (methylpyrrolidone)?

• Thread starter f95toli
  • Start date
In summary, the author of the paper used NMP to clean metal surfaces and it seemed to work successfully.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I need some advice about using NMP (methylpyrrolidone,i.e. N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone) to clean samples.
At the moment I am measuring devices that are made from 200 nm of patterned niobium on top of SiO2/Si or sapphire substrates. The devices are very sensitive to the properties of the surface, any form of organic impurities, dirt, resist residues etc will degrade the performance. It is therefore important to clean them properly.
Up until now I have been using warm acetone followed by IPA to clean them. This usually works reasonaly well but does not always remove all the organics).

Anyway, a colleagues recommended trying NMP instead. However, I have no experience with NMP and I am a bit worried that it might damage the niobium somehow.

Does anyone know if NMP is as "safe" as e.g. acetone when it comes to cleaning metal surfaces?

Engineering news on Phys.org
f95toli said:
I need some advice about using NMP (methylpyrrolidone,i.e. N-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone) to clean samples.
At the moment I am measuring devices that are made from 200 nm of patterned niobium on top of SiO2/Si or sapphire substrates. The devices are very sensitive to the properties of the surface, any form of organic impurities, dirt, resist residues etc will degrade the performance. It is therefore important to clean them properly.
Up until now I have been using warm acetone followed by IPA to clean them. This usually works reasonaly well but does not always remove all the organics).

Anyway, a colleagues recommended trying NMP instead. However, I have no experience with NMP and I am a bit worried that it might damage the niobium somehow.

Does anyone know if NMP is as "safe" as e.g. acetone when it comes to cleaning metal surfaces?

I read a journal paper once that used a similar technique successfully. The paper was entitled:

Conducting polymer cathodes for high-frequency operable electrolytic niobium capacitors, Journal of Synthetic Metals, Volume 74, Issue 2, (1995) pages 165-170.

CS

Thanks for the reference.
Unfortunately, it seems I do not have access to that journal. I will try to see if I can get hold of that paper on Monday.

1. What is NMP (methylpyrrolidone) and what is it used for?

NMP stands for N-methylpyrrolidone, a chemical compound commonly used as a solvent in various industrial processes. It is also used as a cleaning agent, paint stripper, and in the production of pharmaceuticals.

2. Is NMP harmful to human health?

There is some evidence that exposure to NMP can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and respiratory system. Long-term exposure may also have negative effects on the reproductive system. However, proper safety precautions and protective equipment can minimize these risks.

3. What safety measures should be taken when using NMP?

When handling NMP, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid direct skin contact and inhalation. It is also important to use NMP in a well-ventilated area and to follow proper disposal methods.

4. Can NMP be replaced with a safer alternative?

Yes, there are some alternatives to NMP that are considered to be safer, such as ethyl lactate or propylene glycol. However, it is important to assess the specific needs of each application before selecting an alternative solvent.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions on the use of NMP?

In some countries, there are regulations in place for the use of NMP, particularly in terms of occupational exposure limits. It is important to check with local authorities and follow any regulations or restrictions that may apply.