Difference between van der Waals forces and dispersion forces

In summary: I even saw one textbook that defined van der Waals force as identical to dispersion force (i.e. transient dipole interactions only).The most correct use of van der Waals force, in my opinion, is EITHER the definition I originally gave above (i.e. all intra- and inter-molecular forces other than covalent and ionic), OR EQUALLY CORRECT is include even ionic forces when they are inter-molecular or otherwise not the classical ionic bonds found in salts and crystalline solids.
soopo
What is the main difference between van der Waals forces and dispersion forces?

This statement confuses me:
"van der Waals forces are nearly the same thing as dispersion forces."

Right now, I have an idea that van der Waals forces includes these attractions:
1. permanent dipole - permanet dipole force such as H-bonding
2. permanent dipole - induced dipole forces
3. instantaneous induced dipole - induced dipole dispersion forces

I have observed that van der Waals forces are sometimes used as an synonym for intermolecular forces. I am not sure this completely correct.

In my opinion, dispersion forces are then again a subgroup of van der Waals forces which arise from the interactive forces between temporary multipoles in molecules without permanent dipoles.

Please, let me know the main difference between van der Waals forces and dispersion forces?

Physics news on Phys.org
Van Der Walls forces account for both weak dipole dipole interactions in slightly polar molecules and for even weaker interactions between nonpolar molecules. London Forces are specifically limited to weaker interactions between nonpolar molecules. One is more general than the other (at least that is my understanding anyways), but the two terms can be used (scratch that..."are" used) interchangeably to mean weak interactions between non-polar molecules.

You are correct that van der Walls is the more general term, and dispersion forces is a particular case of van der Walls force.

van der Walls is the term used for any kind of inter- or intra-molecular force other than covalent and ionic bonds, so yes it includes all interactions between charges and dipoles, and dipoles and dipoles, whether those dipoles are permanent, induced, or transient. Also, any place where I just said dipole you can also include multipoles.

Dispersion force, also called London force, is the case where one or both of the dipoles (or multipoles) are transient (that is arise entirely from continual fluctuations in electron density). [As an aside point, Fritz London himself called them Dispersion Forces for the following reason: The ability of transient dipoles to attract one another depends strongly on the frequency of the fluctuations in electron density - that is two transiently induced dipoles will attract each other only if their frequencies match (are equal or multiples of one another). Quantities that vary with freqency are said to exhibit dispersion].

The confusion here comes from the fact that, while all agree on the basic definition of Dispersion forces, there is a lack of consistency among various textbooks on the use of the term van der Waals force - specifically in how general to make the term. Most textbooks include the definitition I gave above. However some textbooks vary in either direction: Some will use van der Waals force to describe ALL inter-moleculecular forces of any type, including ionic. Others go to the other extreme to include only induced dipoles and dispersion forces - leaving out permanent dipoles. I even saw one textbook that defined van der Waals force as identical to dispersion force (i.e. transient dipole interactions only).

The most correct use of van der Waals force, in my opinion, is EITHER the definition I originally gave above (i.e. all intra- and inter-molecular forces other than covalent and ionic), OR EQUALLY CORRECT is include even ionic forces when they are inter-molecular or otherwise not the classical ionic bonds found in salts and crystalline solids.

Hope this helps. --Dino.

BioPhysicDino said:
You are correct that van der Walls is the more general term, and dispersion forces is a particular case of van der Walls force.

van der Walls is the term used for any kind of inter- or intra-molecular force other than covalent and ionic bonds, so yes it includes all interactions between charges and dipoles, and dipoles and dipoles, whether those dipoles are permanent, induced, or transient. Also, any place where I just said dipole you can also include multipoles.

Dispersion force, also called London force, is the case where one or both of the dipoles (or multipoles) are transient (that is arise entirely from continual fluctuations in electron density). [As an aside point, Fritz London himself called them Dispersion Forces for the following reason: The ability of transient dipoles to attract one another depends strongly on the frequency of the fluctuations in electron density - that is two transiently induced dipoles will attract each other only if their frequencies match (are equal or multiples of one another). Quantities that vary with freqency are said to exhibit dispersion].

The confusion here comes from the fact that, while all agree on the basic definition of Dispersion forces, there is a lack of consistency among various textbooks on the use of the term van der Waals force - specifically in how general to make the term. Most textbooks include the definitition I gave above. However some textbooks vary in either direction: Some will use van der Waals force to describe ALL inter-moleculecular forces of any type, including ionic. Others go to the other extreme to include only induced dipoles and dispersion forces - leaving out permanent dipoles. I even saw one textbook that defined van der Waals force as identical to dispersion force (i.e. transient dipole interactions only).

The most correct use of van der Waals force, in my opinion, is EITHER the definition I originally gave above (i.e. all intra- and inter-molecular forces other than covalent and ionic), OR EQUALLY CORRECT is include even ionic forces when they are inter-molecular or otherwise not the classical ionic bonds found in salts and crystalline solids.

Hope this helps. --Dino.

I completely agree with you.
Thank you for your answer!

What is the difference between van der Waals forces and dispersion forces?

Van der Waals forces refer to the attractive or repulsive forces between molecules, atoms, or surfaces. These forces are caused by interactions between permanent or temporary dipoles in the molecules. Dispersion forces, on the other hand, are a type of van der Waals force that results from the temporary dipoles that occur due to fluctuations in electron distribution in molecules. In simpler terms, van der Waals forces encompass all attractive and repulsive forces between molecules, while dispersion forces specifically refer to the attraction between temporary dipoles.

What are the factors that affect the strength of van der Waals forces and dispersion forces?

The strength of van der Waals forces and dispersion forces is affected by several factors, including the size of the molecules or atoms, the distance between them, and the polarity of the molecules. Generally, larger molecules or atoms have stronger van der Waals forces, while smaller molecules or atoms have weaker forces. Additionally, the closer the molecules are to each other, the stronger the forces will be. Lastly, polar molecules tend to have stronger dispersion forces due to their uneven distribution of electrons.

How do van der Waals forces and dispersion forces contribute to the properties of substances?

Van der Waals forces and dispersion forces play a significant role in determining the physical properties of substances, such as melting and boiling points, viscosity, and surface tension. These forces are responsible for holding molecules together in a substance and can also affect the solubility of substances in various solvents. The strength of these forces can also impact the strength of intermolecular interactions and, therefore, the stability of a substance.

Can van der Waals forces and dispersion forces be stronger than other types of intermolecular forces?

Yes, in certain cases, van der Waals forces and dispersion forces can be stronger than other types of intermolecular forces, such as hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole interactions. This is especially true for larger molecules or atoms that have a greater number of electrons, leading to a stronger temporary dipole moment. Additionally, the distance between molecules can also impact the strength of these forces, with shorter distances resulting in stronger forces.

How do van der Waals forces and dispersion forces differ from covalent or ionic bonds?

Van der Waals forces and dispersion forces are different from covalent or ionic bonds in several ways. Firstly, these forces are temporary and only occur between molecules, while covalent and ionic bonds are permanent and occur within molecules. Additionally, van der Waals forces and dispersion forces are weaker than covalent or ionic bonds and do not involve the sharing or transfer of electrons. These forces are also highly dependent on the distance and orientation between molecules, while covalent and ionic bonds are not affected by these factors.