Finding the transfer function for a parallel resonant circuit

In summary, the conversation is about solving the transfer function for a parallel RLC filter. The problem has two parts - finding the equation for the transfer function and rearranging it to prove its equality to another equation. The speaker is having trouble getting rid of the "j"s in the equation and solving it. They also mention the bandpass filter and its specifications, such as the bandwidth and resonant frequency. They have found the quality factor to be 49.
Krom1985

Homework Statement

Hello, so I'm trying to solve the transfer function for a parallel RLC filter that goes like

-------Resistor -------------------
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXX|
VinXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXCXXXXL
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXX|
|XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|XXXX|
|---------------------------------
the Xs are just empty space, multiple space bars wouldn't show up correctly
so I'm given the equation for the transfer function which is
I just realized that the problem actually had 2 parts.
First, the equation to use to solve transfer function is:

H(w) = ZLC / Ztot
I found ZLC to be [(+jwL)(-j/wC)] / (jwL) + (-j/wC)
and Z total to be {[(+jwL)(-j/wC)] / (jwL) + (-j/wC)} + R
I'm having trouble getting rid of the js in the equation and solving it.
I keep trying to do basic math operations and js just keep stacking up like j^2 and j^3.. I'm pretty sure they're not even supposed to be treated as normal variables.Also, the second part which may be a little easier is to take the above equation and rearranging it and prove that the above equation is equal to the equation below. I'm stuck on this one as well since I haven't solved the first part.

H(f) = 1/ (1 + j*Qp* (f/f0 - f0/f))

So this is a bandpass filter, and the bandwidth is 20000 Hz, and resonant frequency is 980000 Hz and I've found the quality factor to be 49 by taking Qp = f0 / B

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just edited to make the problem actually solvable. Can somebody help me?

1. What is a transfer function for a parallel resonant circuit?

A transfer function for a parallel resonant circuit is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input voltage and the output voltage of the circuit. It describes how the circuit behaves in response to different frequencies of input signals.

2. How is the transfer function calculated for a parallel resonant circuit?

The transfer function for a parallel resonant circuit can be calculated by taking the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage. This can be done using the circuit's impedance and admittance equations, which take into account the circuit's resistance, capacitance, and inductance.

3. What is the significance of the transfer function in a parallel resonant circuit?

The transfer function of a parallel resonant circuit provides important information about the circuit's behavior, such as its resonance frequency, bandwidth, and quality factor. It can also be used to analyze and design the circuit for specific applications.

4. How does the transfer function change with different circuit parameters?

The transfer function of a parallel resonant circuit can be affected by changes in the circuit's parameters, such as the values of the inductor and capacitor, as well as the input frequency. These changes can alter the circuit's resonance frequency and other characteristics described by the transfer function.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the transfer function for a parallel resonant circuit?

The transfer function of a parallel resonant circuit can be used in various applications, such as in designing filters for specific frequency ranges, tuning radio receivers, and analyzing the response of electronic systems to different input signals. It is also important in the study and development of oscillators, amplifiers, and other electronic devices.