How to function with sleep deprivation

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, a student is seeking advice on how to reduce their sleep to 6-7 hours per night in order to study for exams. Others argue that getting enough sleep is important for studying and suggest improving study habits instead. Tips for better sleep and studying more efficiently are also mentioned.
peak86 said:
6 hours of sleep are enough, if you have a normal daily activity.
Read this really http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110104182938.htm" published on sciencedaily.

That article has nothing to do with your comment. In fact, the only time the word "six" appears, is in this context:

. He said more research is needed to understand how short nighttime sleep schedules, typically six hours or less a night across many days, contribute to weight gain and obesity.

If you're going to make a wild claim like 6 hours of sleep are enough for a typical person, you'll need to back it up. Baseless speculation isn't allowed around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To be fair: VERY few people can find enough time to sleep 8 hours a night (and certainly not nine). Many (most?) people have to get up between 6:30-7:00 in the morning and I don't know of any adult who routinely is asleep at 22:30 every night. Hence, most of us will have to get used to sleep 6-7 hours a night for most of our lives (especially if you are a parent, you need the time before/after the kids wake up and go to sleep).
I averaged about 6 hours a night when I was at university. Fortunately that is only about an hour less than what I actually need, meaning I could quite easily do it as long as I got to sleep in for one morning during the weekend.

That said, I wouldn't recommend changing you sleeping habits before the exams.

f95toli said:
To be fair: VERY few people can find enough time to sleep 8 hours a night (and certainly not nine). Many (most?) people have to get up between 6:30-7:00 in the morning and I don't know of any adult who routinely is asleep at 22:30 every night. Hence, most of us will have to get used to sleep 6-7 hours a night for most of our lives (especially if you are a parent, you need the time before/after the kids wake up and go to sleep).
Yeah, but as you age you need less sleep. Also, just because most people do it, doesn't mean it's good for you. I guess you do get used to it, but I think it's more of a get used to the "feeling run down" feeling than actually getting your body primed to work as it would had you gotten the amount of sleep you need. Then there's also the question that I think is relevant in this case of the reason why you should cut on sleep. To study more? Have we really gone that far?

The brain is not very easily adaptable to different sleep patterns, but you can do it if you try hard enough. If you suddenly set your alarm clock two hours earlier than you're used to, your brain will not like it. Just stick with it, and it will adapt. You will suffer for about 14 days from sleep deprivation. I tried this myself, the first 3 or 4 days I felt like a zombie and could perform only brainless tasks. After the first week I wasn't feeling tired anymore, and after 2 weeks I couldn't even tell I was sleeping 6 hours every night. After the adaptation period, I felt completely normal, I didn't have any memory or learning impairment, or felt tired at all. I often felt the need for 1, not so often 2, 15-20 min powernap during the day, though.

I found out that most sleep research data available that are against sleeping less than 8 hours were gathered during this sleep deprivation period. Indeed, you cannot function properly when sleep deprived, but it goes away. You can google some paper that shows that memory tests performed in people with after this 14 week adaptation period had great results, second only to people on free-running sleep schedules.

rick_741 said:
After the adaptation period, I felt completely normal, I didn't have any memory or learning impairment..
Really? What kind of cognitive and reaction-time studies did you do to confirm this? Or do we just assume that, because you didn't fall under a bus the following week it means you're operating at 100% of your former capacity? :wink:

Are you comfortable with your one-time personal experiment being the basis of a general claim that it is so?

Really? What kind of cognitive and reaction-time studies did you do to confirm this? Or do we just assume that, because you didn't fall under a bus the following week it means you're operating at 100% of your former capacity?

Are you comfortable with your one-time personal experiment being the basis of a general claim that it is so?

I was mentioning a personal experience, hence the expression I felt was used. It indicates a personal opinion. I evaluated the results concerning my life and daily activities over a period of about 20 months during which I had this sleeping schedule, and came to that conclusion. I'm sorry if I didn't make a full scientific experiment out of this just so I could live up to your life standards.

rick_741 said:
I was mentioning a personal experience, hence the expression I felt was used. It indicates a personal opinion. I evaluated the results concerning my life and daily activities over a period of about 20 months during which I had this sleeping schedule, and came to that conclusion. I'm sorry if I didn't make a full scientific experiment out of this just so I could live up to your life standards.

People with a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration FEEL like they can drive just fine. Your personal experience is worse than meaningless.

Jack21222 said:
People with a 0.08 blood alcohol concentration FEEL like they can drive just fine. Your personal experience is worse than meaningless.

So is your post. I wasn't saying anything to you, by the way, but to the user who created this thread.

And yeah, DWI/DUI and a couple of hours of less sleep, exactly the same thing. Your logic is brilliant.

Last edited:
rick_741 said:
So is your post. I wasn't saying anything to you, by the way, but to the user who created this thread.

And yeah, DWI/DUI and a couple of hours of less sleep, exactly the same thing. Your logic is brilliant.
I think you missed the point of his post, he wasn't saying they are the same. And also, from what I hear being tired does actually impair your driving skills to a similar extent than chugging a couple of brewskies beforehand. So there you go, even if you misinterpret what he's saying, he makes sense :biggrin:

rick_741 said:

This is pretty important, because people that have done sleep studies have found that self-reporting gives you a very inaccurate picture of what is going on. In particular, one thing that people get wrong is how often they actually fall asleep. What can happen if you are sleep deprived is that you go into microsleep, and fall asleep for a minute without knowing that your are asleep.

rick_741 said:
I was mentioning a personal experience, hence the expression I felt was used. It indicates a personal opinion. I evaluated the results concerning my life and daily activities over a period of about 20 months during which I had this sleeping schedule, and came to that conclusion.
Except that there are six instances of the word 'you':
The brain is not very easily adaptable to different sleep patterns, but you can do it if you try hard enough. If you suddenly set your alarm clock two hours earlier than you're used to, your brain will not like it. Just stick with it, and it will adapt. You will suffer for about 14 days from sleep deprivation.

rick_741 said:
Actually, it's, more similar than you may think in terms of reaction time. That's why we do clinical trials rather than personal anecdotes.

I have no problem with personal anecdotes, but you can't claim authority on the subject. Frankly, you can't even be sure it's true for you personally - one of the side effects of altering sleep is that it will have an affect on your ability to judge your own performance.

What can happen if you are sleep deprived is that you go into microsleep, and fall asleep for a minute without knowing that your are asleep.

Would it be as if you're on the train, and you fall into microsleep, and get off at your stop without even knowing you fell asleep?