Melting Point: How Heat Changes Liquids to Solids

In summary: Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility)
sam013024
Name a substance that will change from liquid state to solid state on heating.

Physics news on Phys.org
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.

eggy-weggy :biggrin:

Bloodthunder said:
And remaining chemically unchanged? Nothing does that.

You could have your ceramics which change from a liquid structure to a solid structure, but that's with the formation of bonds on heating and all that.

The first thing that came to my mind was concrete, but that is a chemical reaction and doesn't really count.

Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase? E.g. one component of the solution precipitates out with increasing temperature while the other component turns to liquid?

QuantumPion said:
Is it possible for some sort of solid solution to have a liquid phase at a lower temperature than a solid phase?

It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.

tiny-tim said:
eggy-weggy :biggrin:

You read my mind. :biggrin:

Changes chemically :)

Mapes said:
It is possible, even for reversible transformations. It's only required that the high-temperature phase (the solid) has a higher entropy than the low-temperature phase (the liquid). As you can imagine, this is pretty unusual. I seem to remember that it's been demonstrated in some carefully designed polymer systems, though. Will look to see if I can find the details.

Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/20325" [Broken]. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapes said:
Ah, I found it: Plazanet et al., "Freezing on heating of liquid solutions," J Chem Phys 121:5031 p5031 (2004), discussed http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/20325" [Broken]. But a look at the subsequent literature indicates that the physics is still being worked out.

Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction, although notably a reversible one.

Last edited by a moderator:
QuantumPion said:
Interesting, although it sounds like that is still just a chemical reaction

Right, or put another way, a multi-component system (with additional factors such as mutual solubility) rather than a single-component system.

1. What is melting point?

Melting point is the temperature at which a solid substance changes to a liquid state. It is the temperature at which the molecules of a substance have enough energy to overcome their attractive forces and move freely as a liquid.

2. How does heat affect the melting point of a substance?

As heat is added to a substance, the molecules gain more energy and begin to vibrate faster, causing the attractive forces between them to weaken. This results in a lower melting point, meaning the substance will change from a solid to a liquid at a lower temperature.

3. Why is melting point an important characteristic of a substance?

The melting point of a substance is a unique physical property that can help identify and distinguish it from other substances. It can also provide information about the purity of a substance, as impurities can affect the melting point.

4. Can the melting point of a substance change?

Yes, the melting point of a substance can change depending on external factors such as pressure and the presence of impurities. However, the melting point of a pure substance remains constant under standard conditions.

5. How is the melting point of a substance determined?

The melting point of a substance can be measured using a variety of methods, including melting point apparatus, differential scanning calorimetry, and capillary tube method. These methods involve heating the substance and recording the temperature at which it changes from a solid to a liquid.