To calculate absorption coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the absorption coefficient or absorption cross section for 1% C2H2 gas at 1 atm pressure and 25C temperature. The path length is 1 meter and the absorbance is 0.32 with a concentration of 8500ppm. The goal is to express this concentration in mol/cm3 and calculate the absorption cross section using Beer-Lamberts law. The question is not clear and needs more specific details about the experiment and the gas mixture used. Additional information is needed to accurately calculate the absorption coefficient for GaN and silver coating. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in obtaining data for the extinction coefficient in hemoglobin and asks for advice on how to calculate it.
sarmatvs
want to calculate absorption coefficient or absorption crosssection for 1% C2H2 gas

Path length = 1meter

Absorbene = 0.32

concentration = 8500ppm

pressure = 1 atm

Temperature = 25C

I need to express this concentration to mol/cm3.

Pls let me know if u have anyidea

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question is not clear.
Which absroption coefficient, microwave, UV, visible light, fast electrons, neutrons ... ?
What do you mean by Absorbene ?
Concentration 8500 ppm of what?
1% of C2H2 whitihn what, air, N2, CO2, ... ?
What do you mean by "this concentrations", what are you reffereing to?

Making the question clearer could help us, and may you too.

I want to calculate absorption cross-section by using Beer-Lamberts law for Acetylene gas at NIR region.I. The calibration done at 1531.6nm.

Absorbance= log to base10(intensity of incident light/intensity after passing through gas cell) = 0.32 ;;;;gas cell filled with Acetylene gas

1% C2H2 gas(diluted with N2)

When I used concentration of 8500ppm of 1% Acetylene gas , I got Absorbence of = 0.32. So, I need to calculate absorption cross section from Beer`s Law.
Absorbance = alpha * concentration * length , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer-Lambert_law

here alpha = absorption cross section

I think, I need to express absorption cross section in cm2/mol. So If i can able to express the concentration of acetylen gas which is in parts per million to mol/cm3 then I can able to get absorption cross sectin in cm2/mol.If u have any other idea pls let me know.

IF u have any other questions pls let me know

Thanks

waiting for ur reply.

Last edited:
I begin to guess what you are asking for.
However, your question is still very badly formulated.

I think you should tell us what you have measured in very precise and clear words.
Then you should explain us what you want to calculate exactly.
If you want you can refer to the wiki page your mentioned.

You should also explain the background of this question.
Shall we assume that only Acetylene is responsible for absorption at 1531.6nm?
Does nitrogen play no role in absorption?

Please, think that the physics is the imprtant think to understand.
Applying a formula is really too simple.

HI

Thanks for ur reply

We assume only Acetylene is responsible for absorption.No need to worry about N2.

expt details

I used HOllow core Photonic crystal fiber(HC-PCF) as path length,NIR Laser diode(NIR-1531.6nm ) as light source and photo detector for detection of light.
At 1531.6nm Acetylene has strong absorption.Initially filled the HC-PCF with Nitrogen and measured the intensity(I0), then replaced HC-PCF with Acetylene gas(concentration-8500ppm) and measured change in the intensity(I). From that calculated the Absorbance and we got A= 0.32.
Now we need to
calculate absorption cross section
for this A= 0.32,
with length =100cm,
and concentratrion of ACetylene gas (8500ppm)
at pressure = 1atm, T = 25C,

Pls let me know any other details required

Thanks

waiting for ur reply.

I don't see where the problem is. You have from the definition

alpha = A/l/c

The concentration c cannot be entered in this formula as ppm, of course.
I assume that by ppm you meam ppm in volume of gas.
You need therefore to specifify the pressure and the temperature.

For a standard pressure (1 atm) and temperature, you know that 1 mole occupies 0.022414 m³.
If the pressure or the temperature are not the standard one, you need to use the perfect gas law to calculate the volume of a mole.
In standard conditions, a concentration c=8500ppm means that there is 0.008500 mole of acetylene in a volume of 0.022414 m³. So the concentration is 0.0085/0.022414 mole/m³.
From this you can calculate alpha.

Note that you may need to correct what I did here above ...
because I did not understand what you meant by "... 8500ppm of 1% Acetylene gas ...".
What did you do actually? Can't you explain that clearly?
Should I guess that the absorber gas had a real concentration of 85ppm acetylene ?
As I did not participate in your experiment, you should understand that I need a clear description of what you did.

My guess is that the initial gas in the device was air.
By some unknown mean you manage to introduce 8500 ppm of a gas mixture GM.
This gas mixture GM has a concentration of 1% acetylene (1% in volume, I guess).
If this guess is correct then the concentration of acetylene in the device is 85 ppm, and this value should be used to calculate alpha, instead of 8500 ppm.

99% of a scientific job is good communication (bidirectional)

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks a lot for ur reply. I calculated the absorption cross section.Pls let me know if it right

pls forget about that 1% just assume concentration is 8500ppm

A = 0.32, P = 1 atm, R = 0.082 liter * (atm/mol) * * deg k

length = 100cm, T = let say (294K ) --- assuming 21C

concentration = 8500ppm;

By using PV = nRT ;;; 1 mole = 24.15 liter

1 liter of gas = 1/(24.15moles)

Total no. of moles in 1 liter

= 8500/(10power6 total moles) = 0.0085

Amount of moles of C2H2 in 1 liter of (1/(24.15) moles per liter * 0.0085 = 0.00035moles

Molecular weight = 26

= 0.00035moles/liter * 26 gms/mol = 9.1mg/cm3

therefore alpha = A/(length * concentration)

===== (0.32)/(100cm * 9.1mg *cm-3)

======== 3.9 * 10 power -4 cm2/mg

HI

Is the calculation part is o.k or I need to change the units

or also I can express in absorption coefficient(cm-1)

how to calculate absorption coefficient for GaN and which measurement what I need?

I also want to know .that I want to calculate absoption coefficient of silve.inface I have hollow core with silver coating and I want to calculate the losses using beer´law for 5 nm wave length through 5cm long fiber.please also letz me know how can I calculate.

Dear All,

I am newbie for extinction coefficient in hemoglobin and I only founbd out the graph which is very hard to get the correct data in Y axis with X axis of wavelength.

I hope someone will advice me how to calculate of this coefficient then I can continue for further measurement.

Thanks and best regards
Kyaw

Am a mechanical student. Currently working on Nanofluids. I wanted to know what will be the refractive index of these oxides mixed with distilled water.
TiO2-SiO2 which is bimetallic oxide mixed in water. May i know how much will be the refractive index. Given the medium is liquid. Which instruments apart from Abbe refractometer are available for measuring refractive index greater than 1.8 .

1. What is absorption coefficient?

Absorption coefficient is a measure of how much a material absorbs light or other electromagnetic radiation. It is a dimensionless quantity that describes the ability of a material to absorb energy from a particular wavelength of radiation.

2. How is absorption coefficient calculated?

The absorption coefficient is calculated by dividing the intensity of the incident radiation by the intensity of the transmitted radiation, and then taking the negative logarithm of this ratio. This calculation is typically done using spectrophotometry or other techniques that measure the absorption of light by a material.

3. What factors can affect the absorption coefficient?

The absorption coefficient of a material can be affected by a variety of factors, including the chemical composition of the material, its physical structure, and the wavelength of the incident radiation. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of the material can also have an impact on the absorption coefficient.

4. Why is it important to calculate absorption coefficient?

Calculating the absorption coefficient of a material is important in many scientific and industrial applications. It can help in the development of new materials with specific optical properties, and it is also useful in fields such as spectroscopy, photovoltaics, and environmental monitoring.

5. How can absorption coefficient be used in practical applications?

The absorption coefficient is used in a wide range of practical applications. For example, it is used in the design of solar panels to maximize their efficiency, in the development of materials for optical filters and lenses, and in medical imaging techniques such as x-rays and MRI. It is also used in environmental monitoring to measure the concentration of pollutants in air and water.