Finding the pressure required when given number of molecules.

In summary, Charles's Law states that the pressure of a gas is proportional to the volume of the gas and the temperature of the gas. Avagadro's number is the number of particles in 10^23 molecules. Finally, you are trying to find out how many moles are in 10^8 molecules and use the Ideal Gas Equation to figure out the pressure at 25 degrees Celsius.
miniradman

Homework Statement

To what pressure must a piece of equipment be evacuated in order that there be only 10^8 molecules per ml at 25 degrees celcius

Homework Equations

Ideal gas equation = PV = nRT
Charles's Law = (V2/T2 = V1/T1)

Avagadro's number (6.02 * 10^23)

I know that at STP one mole of gas is 22.4L

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to begin but what I'm trying to do is find how many moles are in 10^8 molecules. Then use the Ideal Gas Equation to figure out the volume at STP and then using Charles's Law, figure out the pressure at 25 degrees or 298K.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok first you convert the number of molecules to moles using avogadros number.
if you know that 1 mole = 6.02 * 10^23 molecules
you need to find 'x' moles for 10^8 molecules
Once you find the number of moles (which should be a tiny number) convert mL to L (have volume)
You have Temperature (convert to Kelvin)
With this you can find Pressure using the ideal gas equation assuming that R (the constant) = 0.082 L atm K−1 mol−1
Good luck

when I divide 10^8 by 6.02*10^23 I get and outrageously large number, and when I go vice versa, I still get a massive number.

I get a extremely small number when i divide 10^8 by 6.02 *10^23 ... are you doing this correctly? check your steps ..

oh wait, I forgot to put brackets in my calculator :P

but these are my steps. ( I did this at STP)

PV = nRT

101300V = (1.66*10^-16)(8.314)(273)
101300V =

101300V/101300 = 3.767*10-13/101300

v =

P1/V1 = P2/V2

101300/3.179*10^-18 = P2/1*10^-3 (BECAUSE ITS 1ML)

the this leads to 2.73*10^16 which is nowhere near the right answer.

the real answer is 4.1*10^-7pa, but I don't know how to get it :cry:

you don't have to do it at STP because you are given a specific temperature, you only use STP when you are told to do so... in this case...
T= 25 celsius (convert to Kelvin)
and your pressure is what they are asking you... so P is your unknown...
your volume would be 0.001 L (1ml) ; read carefully the problem 'what pressure [...] in order that there be only 10^8 molecules per ml ..that means 10^8 molecules (or 1.66*10^-16 moles) in only 1 ml (which equals 0.001 L) .. so having all these (plus constant R = 0.082 L atm K−1 mol−1 ) you can solve for P using ideal gas equation...

post your results good luck

Hmmm, I'm getting close.

P(0.001) = (1.66*10^-16) (8.314) (298)
P = 4.11*10^-10

This is close but the answer is ^-7. Am I missing something here?

You got it! :D your answer is in kPa( kilo pascal) 1 kPa = 10^3 Pa, so if you multiply your answer by 10^3 you get what you are supposed to... this comes from the fact that you chose R to be 8.314 and its units are L kPa K−1 mol−1 (note the kPa) ... good job! good luck

but... 8.314 is Pa (according to my textbook)

wait what? can you post the units for constant?

oh wait... the base unit for volume was m^3 so that means that volume isn't 0.001 its 0.000001 which leads to the right answer...

I can't thank you enough, you're awesome dude, live long and prosper \m/

Dude you are welcome! Good luck mate ...\m/

1. What is the formula for finding pressure when given the number of molecules?

The formula for finding pressure when given the number of molecules is: P = (n * k * T) / V, where P is pressure in pascals, n is the number of molecules, k is the Boltzmann constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and V is the volume in cubic meters.

2. How do I calculate the number of molecules in a given sample?

To calculate the number of molecules in a given sample, you can use the formula: n = m / M, where n is the number of molecules, m is the mass of the sample in grams, and M is the molar mass of the substance in grams per mole.

3. What units are used for pressure when using the formula?

The units for pressure when using the formula are pascals (Pa). However, other units such as atmospheres (atm) or millimeters of mercury (mmHg) can also be used as long as they are converted to pascals.

4. Can this formula be used for any type of gas?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of gas as long as the temperature is in Kelvin and the volume is in cubic meters. The value of the Boltzmann constant (k) varies depending on the units used for pressure and temperature, so make sure to use the appropriate value for your units.

5. How does pressure change when the number of molecules is increased?

When the number of molecules is increased, pressure will also increase, assuming that the temperature and volume remain constant. This is because there are more molecules colliding with the walls of the container, resulting in a higher force and therefore, a higher pressure.