13.56MHz Signal Phase Shift by 90 Degrees

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a 90 degree phase shift in a 13.56MHz signal for a power sensor. The speaker wants to avoid using transistors due to inconsistency in higher temperatures and asks for suggestions on how to achieve the phase shift using transformer/inductor/capacitor/resistor. A passive network with 50 ohms in and out at 13.56MHz is suggested, as well as a link to a MiniCircuits phase shifter. The speaker also mentions the possibility of using a RC phase shifter.
stickman!

Homework Statement

I have a 13.56MHz signal to be used in a power sensor. However, in order for it to go through the RF/IF Phase and Gain Detector [AD8302], I need to shift the phase of this 13.56MHz signal by +90 degrees.

I want to avoid using Transistors, due to the variation in β of the component in higher temperature, and inconsistency overall.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

-peace
stickman!

Physics news on Phys.org
Transistor amplifier stage gains do not have to rely on a particular value of β; they can be set by feedback in their bias networks.

Could you suggest me a way I could balance the 50 Ohm load and get a 90 degree phase change using transformer/inductor/capacitor/resistor?

-peace
stickman!

stickman! said:
Could you suggest me a way I could balance the 50 Ohm load and get a 90 degree phase change using transformer/inductor/capacitor/resistor?

-peace
stickman!

I think you'd have to have details about the load impedance and the source impedance to design something passive. When in doubt, an op-amp buffer is a possibility (high input impedance, very low output impedance).

gneill said:
I think you'd have to have details about the load impedance and the source impedance to design something passive. When in doubt, an op-amp buffer is a possibility (high input impedance, very low output impedance).

It'll be used in a Matching Box, so I want the Output Impedance and Input Impedance to be equal to 50Ω.

-peace
stickman!

I know you want a passive design but I will give you this as a blackbox device that should meet your requirement.

http://www.minicircuits.com/MCLStore/ModelInfoDisplay?13313152880980.24693377665622407

Adjust the control voltage to the needed shift.

Last edited by a moderator:
A passive network with 50 ohms in and 50 ohms out at 13.56 MHz which will give a 90 deg. phase shift can be any of the following. In every instance the two outer elements are the same, capacitors or inductors, and the inner one is the opposite. -Xc = Xl = 50 ohms. For 13.56 MHz, L = 590 nH, C = 233 pF.

High pass T network
Low pass T network
High pass Pi network
Low pass Pi network

nsaspook said:
I know you want a passive design but I will give you this as a blackbox device that should meet your requirement.

http://www.minicircuits.com/MCLStore/ModelInfoDisplay?13313152880980.24693377665622407

Adjust the control voltage to the needed shift.

That link isn't working for me, and I wasn't able to find a MiniCircuits phase shifter that works in the range of 13MHz. Do they have one?

Last edited by a moderator:
They do. check this - http://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/SPH-16+.pdf

You could also use a RC phase shifter -
you have 2 signals, one with 0 phase shift and other with 180 phase shift. Feed the 0 phase shift to R and 180 phase shift to C. Vary the R, you can get phase shift from 0 to 180.

1. What is meant by "13.56MHz signal phase shift by 90 degrees"?

13.56MHz signal phase shift by 90 degrees refers to a change in the timing or alignment of a signal with a frequency of 13.56MHz. This shift is measured in degrees and refers to the amount of delay or advancement in the signal's waveform.

2. Why is 13.56MHz a significant frequency for signal phase shift?

13.56MHz is a significant frequency for signal phase shift because it is commonly used in radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, which requires precise control of signal timing and alignment. A 90 degree phase shift is often used to differentiate between different signals in RFID systems.

3. How is a 13.56MHz signal phase shift of 90 degrees achieved?

A 13.56MHz signal phase shift of 90 degrees can be achieved through various methods, such as using a phase shifter circuit or a delay line. These devices introduce a delay in the signal, causing a phase shift of 90 degrees at the specified frequency.

4. What is the importance of a 90 degree phase shift in signal processing?

A 90 degree phase shift in signal processing is important because it allows for the separation of signals with similar frequencies, such as in RFID technology. This shift can also be used to modulate or demodulate signals, which is essential in many communication and electronic systems.

5. Can a 13.56MHz signal phase shift by any other amount besides 90 degrees?

Yes, a 13.56MHz signal can be phase shifted by any amount, not just 90 degrees. The amount of phase shift can be controlled by adjusting the delay in the signal path. However, 90 degrees is a commonly used value due to its usefulness in various applications, as mentioned earlier.