Why are lava fountains silent?

• Thread starter fayaazhussain
  • Start date
In summary: By other jets I am referring to jets issued from a nozzle for ex. jet engine jets. Considerable amount of noise is produced from the exhaust of jet engines. Why do lava fountains don't create that much noise when compared to the exhaust jets of jet engines? and by lava fountains I am referring to the natural phenomena that comes out of a volcano. When other jets produce noise, why do lava fountains not produce any noise?
fayaazhussain
Lava fountain is also a form of jet. When other jets produce noise, why do lava fountains not produce any noise?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
fayaazhussain said:
Lava fountain is also a form of jet. When other jets produce noise, why do lava fountains not produce any noise?

have you not experienced a lava fountain up close?
there is a substantial amount of noise of all the hot gasses expanding and escaping as they push the lava into the air.

what "other jets" were you referring to in particular ?

cheers
Dave

By other jets i am referring to jets issued from a nozzle for ex. jet engine jets. Considerable amount of noise is produced from the exhaust of jet engines. Why do lava fountains don't create that much noise when compared to the exhaust jets of jet engines?

fayaazhussain said:
By other jets i am referring to jets issued from a nozzle for ex. jet engine jets. Considerable amount of noise is produced from the exhaust of jet engines. Why do lava fountains don't create that much noise when compared to the exhaust jets of jet engines?

thats what i suspected you meant... well its not a jet engine spinning at 20,000 +- a bit RPM, so its not going to produce a hi pitched scream :) But as i said in my other post, they are quite noisey

Dave

I am talking about the aerodynamic noise from the exhaust jets of an engine and not the mechanical noise. Any air flow causes noise take the example of wind. Likewise when a lava fountain comes out of the volcano mouth shouldn't it cause noise which can be heard from quite a distance like in the case of jet engine? Lava fountains are known to rise to heights of even 450m. If the lava is able to reach that much height naturally it's kinetic energy can be compared to that of a jet engine.

This question was actually raised by my teacher. The famous pompeii volcano eruption caused millions of deaths because people couldn't hear the lava fountain and so he asked me why don't they create much noise.

fayaazhussain said:
The famous pompeii volcano eruption caused millions of deaths because people couldn't hear the lava fountain …

no, the deaths (less than 50,000 i think) were caused mostly because people couldn't hear or see the very fast (up to 450 mph) completely silent and invisible pyroclastic surges that asphyxiated them, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroclastic_flow

they knew Vesuvius was erupting, but a lot of people didn't think there was any need to flee (although a lot of people did), since it was 5 miles away, and lava doesn't flow very fast (unlike pyroclastic surges) :redface:

its still a very different situation and my previous response still applies

in my geology activities over the years I have been fortunate to be around lava fountains, much of the noise is mid to low freq ranging, particularly lower freq booms
with lava fountains you also generally don't have the very small orifice of a jet exhaust, which is ~ 1 to 2 metres. The throat of a volcano tends to be much larger ... many metres to in some cases a kilometre or more...
like this one during 1984 in Hawaii...

attachment.php?attachmentid=46429&stc=1&d=1334914770.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 1984 Mauna Loa curtain of Fire.jpg
    1984 Mauna Loa curtain of Fire.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 463
fayaazhussain said:

tiny-tim said:
no, the deaths (less than 50,000 i think) were caused mostly because people couldn't hear or see the very fast (up to 450 mph) completely silent and invisible pyroclastic surges that asphyxiated them, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyroclastic_flow

they knew Vesuvius was erupting, but a lot of people didn't think there was any need to flee (although a lot of people did), since it was 5 miles away, and lava doesn't flow very fast (unlike pyroclastic surges) :redface:

Thanks tiny tim

I was going to respond to that as well but was busy with the other response as you posted...
and I agree... Yes it wasnt lava or lava fountains that killed the residents of Pompeii
it was the huge pyroclastic flows

cheers
Dave

Thanks to both of you for your replies! :)

1. Why do lava fountains not make noise?

Lava fountains are silent because the lava is typically too thick to allow gases to escape. The gases that are responsible for making noise in other volcanic eruptions are trapped within the lava flow itself, resulting in a lack of audible sound.

2. Can lava fountains ever make noise?

In some cases, lava fountains can make noise if the lava is thin enough to allow gases to escape. This typically occurs in more explosive volcanic eruptions, where the lava is more fluid and allows for the escape of gases that create sound.

3. Are there any other factors that contribute to the silence of lava fountains?

Yes, the distance from the source of the eruption can also impact the perceived silence of lava fountains. If you are far enough away, the ambient noise from the eruption may mask the sound of the lava fountains, making them seem silent.

4. Do all types of lava fountains make no noise?

No, there are different types of lava fountains that can make varying levels of noise. For example, Hawaiian-style lava fountains are often quieter due to the low viscosity of the lava, while Strombolian-style lava fountains can be noisier due to the higher viscosity of the lava.

5. How can scientists study lava fountains if they are silent?

Although the lava fountains themselves may not make noise, scientists can still study them through other means, such as measuring the temperature, velocity, and composition of the lava. They can also use remote sensing techniques, such as thermal imaging and satellite imagery, to gather data on the size and behavior of the lava fountains.