Calculation of the velocity of a Spaceship moving Relativistically

In summary, the problem involves a spaceship traveling at a constant velocity from Earth to \alpha-Centauri, with a time elapsed onboard of 4.3 years. The spaceship is powered by a drive that ejects protons at a velocity relative to the ship of c/2. The problem asks for the velocity at which a person on Earth would observe the protons as the spaceship reaches constant velocity passing Earth. The solution involves using the inverse Lorentz transformation to find the velocity of the spaceship and then using that to calculate the velocity of the protons in the Earth's frame of reference.
Owen-

Homework Statement

A spaceship travel from Earth [itex]\alpha[/itex]-Centauri (4.3 light years away) at a constant velocity. If the time elapsed onboard during the journey is 4.e years, what is the speed of the spaceship?

The spaceship is powered by a drive which works by ejecting protons behind the ship at a velocity relative to the ship of c/2. At what velocity would a person on Earth observer the protons to be travelling, just as the spaceship reached constant velocity as it passed Earth on its way to [itex]\alpha[/itex]-Centauri

Homework Equations

[itex]\gamma=(1-\beta^2)^{-1/2}[/itex]
[itex]\beta = \frac{v}{c}[/itex]
[itex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/itex]
[itex]t'=\gamma(t-\frac{x \times v^2}{c^2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]x'=\gamma(4.3-vt)[/itex]
[itex]4.3=\gamma(t-\frac{x \times v^2}{c^2})[/itex]

Well essentially I couldn't see any way to cancel things with simultaneous equations, and without one other variable known I assumed it to be impossible, unless they want the answer to be in terms of something. Is this correct? Any help, even a hint in the right direction would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance,
Owen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any way to fix the typo in the title? :S

Owen- said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship travel from Earth [itex]\alpha[/itex]-Centauri (4.3 light years away) at a constant velocity. If the time elapsed onboard during the journey is 4.e years, what is the speed of the spaceship?
What does 4.e mean?

The spaceship is powered by a drive which works by ejecting protons behind the ship at a velocity relative to the ship of c/2. At what velocity would a person on Earth observer the protons to be travelling, just as the spaceship reached constant velocity as it passed Earth on its way to [itex]\alpha[/itex]-Centauri

Homework Equations

[itex]\gamma=(1-\beta^2)^{-1/2}[/itex]
[itex]\beta = \frac{v}{c}[/itex]
[itex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/itex]
[itex]t'=\gamma(t-\frac{x \times v^2}{c^2})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]x'=\gamma(4.3-vt)[/itex]
[itex]4.3=\gamma(t-\frac{x \times v^2}{c^2})[/itex]

Well essentially I couldn't see any way to cancel things with simultaneous equations, and without one other variable known I assumed it to be impossible, unless they want the answer to be in terms of something. Is this correct? Any help, even a hint in the right direction would be much appreciated. :)

Owen- said:
Any way to fix the typo in the title? :S
What typo?

You can do this problem using length contraction and time dilation, but the simplest and most foolproof method of doing it is to apply the LT directly.
Let S (coordinates x,t) represent the rest frame of the Earth and α-centauri, and let S' (coordinates x',t') represent the rest frame of the spaceship. There are two events that are relevant:
I. Spaceship leaves earth
II. Spaceship arrives at α-centauri.

The coordinates in the S and S' frames of reference for the two events are as follows:

I. x = 0, t = 0, x' = 0, t' = 0

II. x = 4.3c, t = ?, x' = 0, t' = 4.

where x' = 0 corresponds to the location of the spaceship in its own rest frame of reference. For this problem, it is more convenient to work with the inverse LT:
[tex]x=\gamma (x'+vt')[/tex]
[tex]t=\gamma (t'+\frac{vx'}{c^2})[/tex]

You can use the first of these equations to solve part 1 for the velocity of the spaceship by substituting in the parameters for event 2 (event 1 already satisfies these equations identically).

What does 4.e mean?
sorry it should read 4.3. That might have caused some confusion.

What typo?
I'm just being stupid, there is none - Relativistically looked incorrect to me on 2nd glance :P

Chestermiller, thanks! I think I can do this now, wasn't considering needing the LT at the two distinct points - its a lot easier now that I'm looking at it properly! :)

1. How is the velocity of a spaceship moving relativistically calculated?

The velocity of a spaceship moving relativistically is calculated using the equation v = c * tanh (at/c), where v is the velocity, c is the speed of light, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativistic calculations?

The speed of light, denoted as c, is a fundamental constant in the calculation of relativistic velocities. It is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe and plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. How does time dilation affect the velocity of a spaceship moving relativistically?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time dilation occurs, meaning that time appears to slow down for the moving object relative to a stationary observer. This results in a longer perceived time interval for the moving object, thus affecting the calculation of its velocity.

4. Can the velocity of a spaceship ever exceed the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel in the universe. Therefore, the velocity of a spaceship moving relativistically can never exceed the speed of light.

5. How does the mass of a spaceship change as it approaches the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases according to the equation m = m0 / sqrt(1 - (v^2/c^2)), where m0 is the rest mass of the object. This phenomenon is known as relativistic mass increase and is a result of the object's energy increasing as it approaches the speed of light.