Adiabatic Compression: Pressure & Temperature Change

In summary, the experimenter is getting rid of pebbles to create an isothermal expansion and then adding pebbles to create an adiabatic compression. The end-points of these changes, p1 and V1, are determined by the temperature and pressure of the gas, respectively. The efficiency of a carnot engine is only dependent on the temperature and pressure of the fuel, not on the number of pebbles used.
Ezio3.1415
I am thinking about the adibatic compression when the gas gets back to Th from Tc... My question is how the p and V gets same as the initial pressure and temperature... Can you prove it?

Science news on Phys.org
Your question is hard to understand. Could you please explain it more fully?

Okay... I am changing the pressure of the gas using little pebbles...The initial p,v is p1,v1... In the first cycle,we expand the gas isothermally at Th by getting rid of some pebbles ... Then we get to p2,v2... In this process Q1 heat is given to the system...

The system then adiabatically expands by again losing some pebbles... It now gets to p3,v3 and Tc... Tc is less than Th as the internal energy is doing the work in this process...

Now we add some pebbles back and the gas contracts isothermally at Tc... Q2 heat is given to the heat absorber at Tc... It now gets to p4,v4...

Now we add some pebbles back and compress the gas adiabatically... We get back to p1 pressure... My ques is how do we get back to V1 volume and Th temperature... How does the three variables synchronize themselves to the initial state... They all get back to the initial state? Its pretty much clear that this happens... Can you prove why this happens?Or am I just missing sth?

Suggested translation:
'getting rid of pebbles' = allowing gas to expand and do work.
'adding pebbles' = compressing the gas, so work is done on it.

I'm sorry that my answer to your question is not going to be very profound. The experimenter can decide the end-points (values of p and V) of any change, isothermal or adiabatic. Points 1 and 2 and 3 can be chosen arbitrarily. If you draw an isothermal curve through point 3, and an adiabatic curve through point 1, these curves will intersect at a point '4'. The third stage (isothermal) of the cycle, starting at 3, must be stopped at point 4, as just determined. The final stage, an adiabatic compression starting at 4, will then automatically go through 1.

You are saying if I determine a certain p1,v1 then p4,v4 will be determined too?
But I didn't say how much work was done on the gas in the isothermal compression... If I do a little less or more, it doesn't seem to matter...
I am still confused...

Not exactly. There's are 'families' of possible Carnot cycles starting at point 1. We can vary the length of the first isothermal and first adiabatic to produce different family members. See thumbnail, which shows, I think, just four of the infinity of possible Carnot cycles starting at 1.

Attachments

• Carnot family.jpg
    Carnot family.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 425
So you are saying 1st and 2nd power stroke determines the cycle... It makes sense cause the isotherm curve at Tc and the adibatic curve from Tc and Th are not dependent on anything I guess except temperature... It also visualizes the equation for efficiency of a carnot engine,why it is only dependent on the Th and Tc...

Another ques... At the isothermal compression if I do not get to the adibatic curve, will I be able to complete a carnot cycle? I guess not...

Agreed. You won't, then, be able to complete the Carnot cycle starting at your first point.

Thank you for the discussion... :)

It was a pleasure. But I'm still a bit puzzled about where pebbles fit in...

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is the process in which the pressure and temperature of a gas increase due to the compression of the gas without any heat exchange with the surroundings.

2. How does adiabatic compression affect the temperature of a gas?

During adiabatic compression, the gas molecules are being pushed closer together, which increases their kinetic energy and causes the temperature to rise.

3. What is the relationship between pressure and temperature in adiabatic compression?

The relationship between pressure and temperature in adiabatic compression is described by the adiabatic equation: P1V1^γ = P2V2^γ, where P1 and V1 are the initial pressure and volume, P2 and V2 are the final pressure and volume, and γ is the adiabatic index, which depends on the type of gas being compressed.

4. What is an example of adiabatic compression in nature?

An example of adiabatic compression in nature is the compression of air in a bicycle pump. When the pump handle is pushed down, the air inside is compressed adiabatically, causing an increase in pressure and temperature.

5. How is adiabatic compression used in industrial processes?

Adiabatic compression is used in various industrial processes, such as in gas compressors and internal combustion engines, to increase the pressure and temperature of gases. It is also used in the production of compressed air and in refrigeration systems.