Shear and tensile force questions

In summary, to determine if a solid can withstand a 20N load, you need to use the formulas for shear and tensile stress, given the values for each surface and the load.
koii123
suppose i have 4 solids like this:
and the solid have shear stress and tensile stress 12N/mm2 and 15N/mm2 respectively,
suppose i know the area of each surface,
how can i judge whether this solid is able to withstand 20N load?
what kind of formula should i use?

MFtfnlF.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
koii123 said:
suppose i have 4 solids like this:
and the solid have shear stress and tensile stress 12N/mm2 and 15N/mm2 respectively,
suppose i know the area of each surface,
how can i judge whether this solid is able to withstand 20N load?
what kind of formula should i use?

MFtfnlF.jpg

Well, you know the formulas for tensile stress and shearing stress, right ?

Just apply them !

1. What is shear force?

Shear force is a type of force that acts parallel to the surface of an object, causing it to deform or break apart. It is typically measured in units of pounds (lb) or newtons (N).

2. How is shear force different from tensile force?

Shear force and tensile force are two types of forces that act on an object in different directions. While shear force acts parallel to the surface, tensile force acts perpendicular to the surface. Tensile force is typically used to stretch or pull an object, while shear force is used to cut or tear an object.

3. What is the formula for calculating shear force?

The formula for calculating shear force is F = A x S, where F is the shear force, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and S is the shear stress. This formula can be used to determine the maximum amount of shear force an object can withstand before breaking.

4. How do shear and tensile forces affect the strength of a material?

Shear and tensile forces can both weaken the strength of a material. Shear force can cause a material to slip or break along its surface, while tensile force can cause it to stretch or fracture. A material's ability to resist these forces depends on its properties, such as density and elasticity.

5. What are some real-world examples of shear and tensile forces?

Shear and tensile forces can be found in many everyday situations. Some examples include cutting a piece of paper with scissors (shear force), pulling a rubber band (tensile force), or bending a metal wire (combination of both shear and tensile forces). In engineering, these forces are also important in designing structures such as bridges, buildings, and airplanes.